shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs help! Heh. Please guys!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blackbuck

Rough_Rock
Looked at a 1.3 "lucida". appears to have no inclusions: also appears to have color higher than an E. However the dealer said he only would guarantee SI2 and F or higher.

However it has no cert. after I buy I'd get an Appraisal by American something or other in woodland hills (havn't heard the best things about this).

Does it sound superfishy? $5200. Should I send in my own appraiser?

I wanted to get something that was at least Vs2 and more symetric but I might have a hard time finding another "lucida" and the future fiance is nuts about that cut now.

Thank you tiffanys!

Also thanks guys, I hit the wrong button then kept hitting "cancel" trying to edit my thread.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a problem... that may not be a Lucida ring at all (assuming we are both talking about Tiffany's branded diamond cut), because those diamonds are only VS2 clarity or higher. It is possible that this one 'achieved' SI2 status with a chip, but... shouldn't the seller tell you this?

Tiffany rings come with some papers (Tiffany's and GIA report for the diamond). Even if the stone was damaged and the initial grades no longer valid - I am surprised by the mysterious lab report.

If the goal is to get a Lucida ring and this is one, why not. Getting the opinion of an appraiser of you choice should help, IMO. In the meantime, you can always ask the seller to clarify these points above.

My 2c.

There aren't going to be any F/SI2 Lucida around to compare prices (for the above mentioned reason), but the quote seems in line with the price of other fancy shaped diamonds of similar weight, color and clarity. You can check that yourself - either in shops, over the Net or in the database above. Not terribly low, but... the price of SI2 diamonds depends quite a bit on whether the inclusions are badly visible or not. And in a database, it is impossible to know which is what. And prices are not that consistent either to make second guessing easy.

This is about all that comes to mind.

What does the ring look like? Is it really THIS ?

blackbuck

Rough_Rock
Good questions.

At the time we were looking at princess, of which he had plenty of. However he mentioned having an Ascer, and I was just curious. Turned out he also have the ''lucida'' so I checked it out.

I didn''t know at the time it was a proprietary cut, so it was a knock off of some sort: or it was like an elara/flanders or similar cut. However I can''t really tell without a reference picture, since i wasn''t really into that cut. However she seemed to really really like it.

So yeah, I know it''s not a "real" lucida.

My question is more about the fact that it wasn''t a certified stone, from one of the two major houses. Does that sound fishy? considering it''s a knock off of a proprietary cut, I could see why not.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/24/2006 7:52:29 PM
Author: blackbuck

My question is more about the fact that it wasn''t a certified stone, from one of the two major houses. Does that sound fishy? considering it''s a knock off of a proprietary cut, I could see why not.
Fishy... maybe not. Not every diamond comes with paper, and you could ask the jeweler to have the stone certified for you - there is a cost for it and probably some wait (both vary by lab, and I don''t know the exact numbers).

About the knock off part - that is rare! You just don''t find copies of the branded cuts very often and I doubt those that are out there were produced as voluntary copies of the original, like fake designer bags might be simply because of the sheer cost of the ''material''. It happens that some stones leave unbranded from the cutting houses that also produce the branded cuts. However, this seems to be the case with the branded version of traditional shapes (Daniel K Asschers and Kotlar cushions anyone?
23.gif
).

The branded cuts that actually have distinct facet patterns and shapes don''t seem to suffer from this - there''s one source and basta. However, the originals get resold and the original brand name may not have allot of impact on what such estate pieces (either loose stones or not) get sold for, unless the seller feels he can charge for it (what else is new).

I am surprised to hear about a relatively large Lucida cut treated this way, but all is possible. There is another branded cut that looks somewhat like the Lucida - you mentioned it (the Lucere), so that could be an option. If it is a nice diamond and you can confirm the grades in a way (either grading, or appraisal comes to mind, but ... this is up to you). Either could well be offered as a generic cut - you may find some labeled ''radiant'' or ''asscher'' if the particular shop does not usually cater for buyers of branded diamonds and jewelry. That, I''ve seen a couple of times. So much for brand power
7.gif

Just my hunch based on shopping online and off, which isn''t saying much. Personally, I would not turn down a diamond just because the cut is unusual - regardless of what it is (close to a brand, or just one of a kind). In fact, the uniqueness would be a big bonus, as far as I am concerned. Cut quality goes beyond shapes, IMO - brilliance, spread, finish and price are applicable to any diamond Lucida or no Lucida.

My 2c

PS & discalimer: it is a pleasure to chat about these things, but I am not an expert. I am relying on the criticism and correction from the professionals who browse the forum and pic up mistakes - but what if no one pics this up? Please ask one for reliable advice before taking any of this seriously.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results