shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie: Need Opinion between 2 stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ashakeyporcupine

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m feeling up against the clock with Valentines day around the corner, and could do with some opinions on a stone. Asking price is $6,830 and the details I have on it are as follows:

Ct: 1.18
Color: F
Clarity SI1

Depth 61.9%
Table 55%

You can see more on the stone here: http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00463194&keyword_search_value=LD00463194 but I do have a few questions:

1) I''ll make a final call on it when I get to see it in person, but based on the certs you''re familiar with, should I have any reservations about paying this much for a stone of this quality?

2)I intend on getting this appraised before I buy, but is there any equipment you think an appraiser simply *must have* for me to be able to judge the brilliance of this stone?

3)I''ve heard Local jewlers say that cutters aren''t as skilled in Israel and so I should go with them because their cutters are Belgian or from SA. Would you agree that the cutter doesn''t matter in this case as it is an AGS 0 for cut?

4)I was thinking about taking the loose stone to a local jewler to put in a temporary setting, before going back with my g/f to get something permanent. Is there any advice you''d give me before I hand this stone over for a setting?

5) Should I be particularly worried about the feather in this stone making the stone more likely to break during a setting?

Any other advice, humbly taken!

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
The price seems to be on the higher side of the ball park, but not too much so - similar seem to be around the $6k mark thereabouts but it can vary. An appraiser should have everything he needs - that is what you are paying for besides his expertise to analyze this diamond. I wouldn't worry too much about where the cutter is from with an AGS0 diamond, regardless the diamond has to have been crafted by a very skilled cutter to get this grade. Regarding the feather, many are no problem and I can't see the cert clearly to locate it, avoid those that break the surface or are close to the girdle, but an appraiser should be able to set your mind at rest. If you don't want BN to set it for you, then you will need to check with your setter if he will take the risk and insure the diamond ( which may cost you more) or get insurance yourself to cover against breakage. Make absolutely sure you are covered before any work commences - this is the best thing with any diamond not just yours. I will add some links for you in a moment which may help you with the insurance issue.

Ok click https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whos-responsible-for-diamond.32080/ you should find lots of insurance info to help you.

ashakeyporcupine

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the super guidance Lorelei.

I''ll look to Chubb insurance and Jewelers Mutual insurance to see if they can cover me.

One last question for the forum relating the setting - my thinking in getting a temporary mounting and then the perm mounting from the same local jeweler was that it would be easier and cheaper to go to the same local jeweler for both as oppose to getting my loose stone put in a temp setting with an online purchase, and then having my local jeweler set it permenently. Would you agree?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loyalty is worth a lot in the diamond and jewelry industry so I can't see that would be a problem if you like your local jewelers and trust them, they will appreciate the work, especially knowing that you will be back for a reset later. This will also be useful for ring maintenance such as prong tightening if necessary and I am sure they will take good care of you. Chubb and JM seem to be the companies of choice for insurance. Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to have helped
35.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Jon,

Actually, I think your pick is priced lower than absolutely most, and represents a great value for a diamond with those characteristics. The cut quality option here shows comparables at $1000 and more higher, and even the quick search (big database) here, screening for AGS, only turns up options at a much higher price, except one, also from BN, without a cert showing at all.

Why the issue with Israel cutting and this one. I agree that the contemporary AGS0 will largely cover you for concerns about quality defects.

Re the appraiser, while I do not have Lorelei's general confidence in most appraisers, again, because of your diamond having a modern cert from AGS0 (also showing 0 for light performance), I would be inclined to take the diamond to any reputable local appraiser. I would not say the same for a diamond with another certificate.

Good points have been made about the setting, I think.

Best of wishes,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results