shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie: Need help with prospect diamond specs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cookemonster

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I ran across this site today and have been very impressed with all the information and help everyone give''s here. I thought maybe someone could help me out with their opinion''s or thoughts on a prospective diamond I am thinking about purchasing for my girlfriend.

EGL-USA
3.01 Cushion Cut
VS2 H
Depth 63.1%
Table 67%
Crown 12.1%
Pavilion 40.1%
Girdle Thin to very thick
Cutlet none
Polish VG
Symmetry-G
Fluorescence-none

I am unfamiliar with the specifics for an ideal diamond so I was wondering if there was anything in the above specifications that would raise a red flag or would make you think twice about the diamond. Any input would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

James

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
James,

Though I can't answer you question directly, I hope I can make a couple of suggestions that would be helpful.

1) I see Dave Atlas' AGA cut charts don't reference cushion cuts (see the latter part of tutorial here, above, under knowledge); still others may be able to help you on your specific question, and I hope they will.

2) A frequent sentiment here is that with non-rounds especially, you really have to see the stone to have a good judgement as to the diamond's performance.

3) Being in FL, you have among the 2 best independent appraisers not too far from you...Richard Sherwood and Rockdoc; look up at resources, and see under that, appraisers. I mention this because...if you want to get a 3rd party opinion on this, a trained appraiser can frequently help.

4) Despite the advantages of an independent appraiser, promoted on this board, I wonder if you still wouldn't better be served by an NAJA appraiser who also sells diamonds, and specifically, one who stocks cushion cuts, allowing you to Pepsi test for yourself.

It seems to me that, if you are trying to make a selection, using especially internet vendors, if you don't have the advantage of relative options to compare against, using technology of most any kind, or even the best of trained advice...your judgement can only be enhanced so far without the benefit of having another bird in the hand to compare your choice against.

I'll be looking forward to hearing others thoughts on this, too.

Regards, and best wishes,

cookemonster

Rough_Rock
Dear Ira,

Thanks a lot for your input. I definately agree with you on the independent appraisers and I will look those two you recommended to me when I get back in town. As for the Diamond, one thing I forgot to mention is that it is an Tiffany & Co. Ring. I have to assume that there standards are a little higher than other jewelery stores, or am I mistaken?

I am still trying to figure out how to upload a picure of it. Once I get it, I will put it up.

Thanks in advance for everyone''s help.

James

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most Tiffany & Co rings don''t have EGL certs. They have GIA certs.

cookemonster

Rough_Rock
Just a little more info. The ring is being sold through an estate sale and they were unable to locate the original paperwork for the ring, so they recently sent out the ring to EGL and NGL to get two different opinions on the ring. That is why there was not an GIA certificate.

Thanks again for everyone''s input.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results