shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie. Just purchased diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvbling

Rough_Rock
I just purchased a round brilliant .91 I VS2 diamond ring. The diamond was EGL-USA certified and priced at $4080.

Here is some more info:

Measurements: 6.09-6.06 x3.89 mm

Depth: 64.1%
Table: 60%
Crown: 15.5%
Pavilion: 44.2
Girdle: Medium to Thick Faceted
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Flouescence: Faint

Was this fairly priced?

Thanks

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi luvbling!

Sorry to say, but it looks as though you may have overpaid for the diamond. Whiteflash has a comparable one listed for $3280. Here''s the link:
http://www.whiteflash.com/round/round-cut-diamond-2107696.htm

From what I remember, EGL isn''t as reliable as GIA or AGS, and sometimes their grading isn''t as strict. But if the diamond looks good to your eye and you''re happy, that''s the most important part! Good luck!

luvbling

Rough_Rock
The diamond does look good to me, however, are all the proportions good? Or was I ripped off?

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Try using the Cut Adviser tool. I entered the numbers you provided, assuming there is no culet, and the results were good. Here''s the link to the HCA

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

This is a great tool to figure out the cut of your diamond and it''s performance.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think you can get a better cut for the price you paid. I learned a lesson after purchasing a not-so-well cut diamond. The ideal cuts do perform a lot better in terms of light return, and they are more eye catching. Here's a page of ideal cut diamonds from Whiteflash that are around your price range.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/expert-diamonds.aspx?isStatic=true&PageID=1

Hope this helps.
1.gif

ETA: Whoops. I realized that is the link to WF's Expert Selection inventory. No matter, just enter in the stats of a diamond within the range you're looking for and it'll come up with the search results.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with Cinderella

luvbling

Rough_Rock
Thanks Cinderalla for the info you provided. I''m a little disappointed
8.gif
since I thought I had gotten a pretty good deal after I had looked at some "maul" store rings such as the Zales Octillion (which was way overpriced) and to be of a much lesser quality.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to have helped. As for feeling disappointed, is it too late to return that diamond and purchase a new one? If it is, well, you still have a good diamond in your hands. So don''t be too upset. I''d hate to make anyone feel like that.
12.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there and welcome
35.gif
This diamond is on the deep side and with the thick girdle will look a bit smaller for it's size. The thing is the numbers are very useful but don't tell the whole story, if you can't return it but it looks good to you then try not to worry about it and enjoy it! Remember there are many many diamonds out there with far worse specs with very delighted owners. If you bought from a B&M then you will pay more than online. If you do want to return it we would be pleased to help you find another one or if not, congrats and enjoy the one you have! EGL USA are a respectable organisation IMO , just that their grading isn't considered to be of the standard of GIA.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Check out this mm to carat weight chart. http://www.engagement-ring-mountings.com/millimeter_to_carat_equivalent_chart.php According to it your diamond is sized closer to a .80 carat stone. It is a bit on the deep side and has a thick girdle in some spots. That takes up weight that makes your diamond face up smaller than it is. A diamond your size should be closer to 6.2 to 6.3mm.

Numbers don't always tell the whole story. If you are happy with the diamond, then keep it. If you want to do better for the money then return it if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results