shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie interested in Sapphires and ebay

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Hi! I have been lurking since 2008-ish, though mostly in Rocky Talky. I've learned a lot about diamonds from you PSers, but I've recently fallen in love with sapphires. They're my boyfriend's birthstone, and I am very taken with the idea of wearing one as an engagement ring (especially if I can find one in a shade that matches his eyes!). Unfortunately, we know nothing about them. I have been watching the Preloved forum and DB, but nothing's come up. I started scoping out ebay and I found a few that looked pretty, but I have no idea if they're worth buying.

We'd like to stay as close to $3,000 (stone + setting) as possible, because then we can spend money on a trip to celebrate the engagement. I'd like a stone that's 1 c or bigger, and I like everything except Princess cuts. I'd prefer a preowned ring, too, but I can't seem to figure out how to find a reputable place selling them (besides the aforementioned PS forum!).

This listing is representative of the stuff I've been thinking about. Am I way off track?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18K-2-59CT-WHITE-GOLD-DIAMOND-HALO-CEYLON-SAPPHIRE-SOLITAIRE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-/230698712080?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item35b6b6fc10#ht_1273wt_1270

Thanks so much, fellow colored stone lovers!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That particular stone looks like it has a lot of colour-zoning, I'd also guess it is quite grey looking IRL than in the pictures (look at the hand shot they post).

There are nice stones on ebay, but you need to use reputable dealers.

For all vendors, there is a sticky at the top of the page...

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, Pandora and Movie Zombie. I'd seen the vendors I posted links to in the sticky, but I still have no idea how I can tell about zoning and stuff like that from pictures. Is it just something that comes with time? All I know to avoid right now are large inclusions and treatments that aren't heat.

I will definitely check out the antique link. Thanks again :razz:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
chrys31|1329759110|3130094 said:
Thank you so much, Pandora and Movie Zombie. I'd seen the vendors I posted links to in the sticky, but I still have no idea how I can tell about zoning and stuff like that from pictures. Is it just something that comes with time? All I know to avoid right now are large inclusions and treatments that aren't heat.

I will definitely check out the antique link. Thanks again :razz:

Fraid so, just lots of practice and knowing what to look for!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep. time.
trial and error.
developing an eye for what YOU like.
making it all fit into your budget.
yes, time and in some cases lots of time.
but never impossible!
just requires a lot of tradeoffs in some cases.

i like the idea of your e-ring representing something personal re your BF.
there are so-called bargains to be had for the lighter colored sapphires.
sapphires right now in general on a high roll due to the recent royal nuptials in GB.

most of all: have some fun with this! in the end you only need to please yourself.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Btw, I don't care for the Africa-gem stone (but the photo isn't great), the other looks like it may have potential and the price is right for size, colour and the fact that it is unheated which carries a substantial premium.

I would want to see other photos but my spider sense say that the stone is nicer in person than it looks in the pic - definitely the best of the bunch and head and shoulders above the ebay stone.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you know, I've bought from that Ebay vendor before, Sanpojewellery. They were fantastic and I got a great deal and one of my favourite rings came from them. They have a full money back guarantee and can arrange for stones to have a report if that's important to you. One of the things about them is I loved their honesty. They'll take more photos for you as well so I would say it's worth asking them a bit more about that ring. I suspect it'll be a shade darker in real life but ask the question and see what happens!

chrys31

Rough_Rock
You guys are so great, thank you so much! I guess for now, I need to focus on training my eyes; I know a lot of the posts I've seen feature a person finding a stone, and all the colored stone experts saying the stone is gray and the OP being bewildered (which is exactly how I am, right now!) I think I will go through those posts and learn what a gray stone looks like; I cannot for my life see the difference between stones (unless it's Beyonce's new bling; even I can figure out how much more awesome it is than pretty much everything else).

movie zombie, I am excited to hear about possible bargains with the lighter colored sapphires, because that is what I want! I just haven't spotted very many, but I think I want one enough to wait patiently for it to show up. I didn't even realize that Kate got a sapphire until last month, so I thought we were super original geniuses when we started thinking about a sapphire ering. Boy, are we late to the party. :lol:

Pandora, thank you so much for looking at the stones! I am so embarrassed that all the stones looked about the same to me. I have so much to learn, and I am so grateful for your guidance. I will ask the folks at Simply Sapphires for more pictures.

And LD, thanks so much for letting me know about sanpo! I'm excited that they're good vendors with a good return policy. I'll definitely be asking them for more pictures.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Jewels by Erica Grace is also selling pre-owned sapphire rings. They have a few on there right now including one i'm trying to sell but it is in a yellow gold halo so i don't think you are looking for that. They have another sapphire in a lilly setting (swoon) but i can't remember if it is natural or not. Still I would check out jbeg.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Sarahbear621|1329829472|3130739 said:
Jewels by Erica Grace is also selling pre-owned sapphire rings. They have a few on there right now including one i'm trying to sell but it is in a yellow gold halo so i don't think you are looking for that. They have another sapphire in a lilly setting (swoon) but i can't remember if it is natural or not. Still I would check out jbeg.

I forgot about jbeg! I love their listings. They have a beautiful one with a double halo, but it's twice what we want to spend, and the one in the Lilly is lab created :( Your ring is beautiful! I was thinking the other day that it'd be an awesome right hand ring.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
hello,

congratulations on your upcoming engagement! it's so nice to celebrate with jewelry that you will cherish forever.

i am quite a newbie, too, having recently purchased my first sapphire. i just wanted to offer you some advice based on my recent journey:

1. try to see as many sapphires in real life as possible. this will help you develop an eye for color, as well as issues like zoning, extinction, windows, etc. try to find a dealer who specializes in sapphires (ideally). look at lots of stones, even those way out of your price range and in different cuts, etc. this will help you form your own opinions.

2. lean heavily on the knowledgeable people here on pricescope. i learned so much here that i felt like i knew quite a lot more than a lot of the b&m retailers that i visited, especially because most of them specialized in diamonds.

3. be patient (f you can!). like others have said, sapphires are in high demand these days and each stone is so unique (unlike diamonds). it's also hard to find a lot of stones to look at all at the same time. it took me almost 6 months to decide on a stone and i'm sure it will take another couple to get it set! :roll:

4. enjoy the process. although anxiety provoking at times, i have learned so much and come to appreciate fine gems all the more.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
slksapphire|1329838638|3130805 said:
hello,

congratulations on your upcoming engagement! it's so nice to celebrate with jewelry that you will cherish forever.

i am quite a newbie, too, having recently purchased my first sapphire. i just wanted to offer you some advice based on my recent journey:

1. try to see as many sapphires in real life as possible. this will help you develop an eye for color, as well as issues like zoning, extinction, windows, etc. try to find a dealer who specializes in sapphires (ideally). look at lots of stones, even those way out of your price range and in different cuts, etc. this will help you form your own opinions.

2. lean heavily on the knowledgeable people here on pricescope. i learned so much here that i felt like i knew quite a lot more than a lot of the b&m retailers that i visited, especially because most of them specialized in diamonds.

3. be patient (f you can!). like others have said, sapphires are in high demand these days and each stone is so unique (unlike diamonds). it's also hard to find a lot of stones to look at all at the same time. it took me almost 6 months to decide on a stone and i'm sure it will take another couple to get it set! :roll:

4. enjoy the process. although anxiety provoking at times, i have learned so much and come to appreciate fine gems all the more.

thank you so much, slksapphire! Those are some great tips and I will definitely keep them in mind. I am dying to see pictures of your stone; it sounds breathtaking!

So, thinking about what movie zombie said about the lighter stones, I set out to find a couple. And they are really, really cheap, but I can't figure out if it is because the light blue is super undesirable, or if it is because the stones are crappy.

This one has been heat treated, and it looks quite a bit darker on top than on bottom (is that what zoning looks like?)

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagestanzanite2005/498spr-sm.html

ss%20teal%20cushion.jpg

And this one has a weird, gray middle in one of the pictures, but the other ones look nice. Do you guys know what causes this big difference? (for some reason this picture is enormous, 6x bigger than the file i posted above. But I am looking at the bottom of the page, the 5th thumbnail from the left).

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/blueons203-sm.html

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi what I see in that first stone (ring) you posted from SS is that the stone is not well cut enough to be reflecting the light back properly and as a result, there are dark areas where you are not receiving back the key color. This is what is known as extinction. In that photo, I don't see color zoning, which more like mostly parallel bands of various shades of blue rather than one consistent color.

I think the second one is cut better and returns a lot more light (and color) to your eye. It is a pretty, slightly violet, ever so slightly grey, blue. I think the thumbnail photo you are questioning is an upside down shot looking down at the pavilion. This is so you can see what flaws and inclusions the gem has. But you're right, it shows a very grey stone in that one. Bad news: I say keep on looking. Good news: Your stones are getting better! :appl:

chrys31

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux, thank you so much! And I am smacking my head at your comment on the shot looking down the pavilion--I can't believe I didn't think anything of it when I saw most of the other stones showing the same shot!

Thank you for explaining the difference between zoning and extinction! I think I get what each of them mean, finally (training my eyes to see them is a different issue!)

chrys31

Rough_Rock
thanks, petit bijou! They did have some nice stuff; I will be checking back often! They don't give much info at all, though; just the shape and weight. I wonder if they will tell me more if I ask?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure they'd provide more info if you asked them. That's where I found it helps to do some pre-research so you know what to ask (the more specific the better).

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks very nice - the dark spot in the centre looks more like a small window - probably not one I would worry about.

I'd like to see more photos to check it doesn't look a lot darker IRL.

The price is very reasonable plus it has an AGL report.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrys31|1329927835|3131687 said:
What do you guys think about this stone? Am I right in thinking there is a dark spot in the middle? Is this extinction?

http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2006/bluecin310-sm.html

cornflower.jpg

I don't like the color on the AGL report at all. It looks grey and dull. I think it's overpriced for that color in a heated stone. Sorry, for that kind of money, I think you can do better. I also think the cutting is horrible (see the cutting plot on the lab report too, just awful). I know sapphires are not well cut all the time, but I think it's horrible in color and cut, and its too dark.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cutting doesn't look all that horrible to me; yes, obviously not the best but also not the worst. There is a small window but I don't think will look that bad either. It looks a bit dark in the picture though.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your input, Pandora, TL, and Chrono! It sounds like you all have some concern it'll be darker IRL. I think I am slowly starting to understand what that means, I think. It's at the very top of our price range and I'd have to set it in a very simple solitaire, so I'm not crushed :D

Diamonds and Rust, thank you so much for the link! I love the ring in the first one; the second one looks like it has a bowtie? Or is that extinction in the middle? Or maybe a window. One of those things that cause dark areas! Someday I will figure them all out, I hope!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That second stone doesn't seem precision cut to me, maybe a few facets were tweaked a little? It seems to have a teeny tiny window and yes, that dark band around the middle is called a bowtie.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1329932923|3131751 said:
That second stone doesn't seem precision cut to me, maybe a few facets were tweaked a little? It seems to have a teeny tiny window and yes, that dark band around the middle is called a bowtie.

Both are probably tweeked recuts, and I don't think precision cut stones should included tweeked recuts, but a fully recut or cut stone from a precision cutting machine.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
if a stone is secondhand, is it pretty unlikely that the vendor would know much about the stone's treatment? I think I remember reading Be is not as common in old stones, but I don't know how old this is. Besides treatment info, what do you suggest I ask for on a listing like this:
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings_under_5k/335ct_estate_diamond_cyclon_sapphire_18k_gold_engagement_ring.html

dover.jpg

i'm not enamored with the yellow gold, but i do like the stone's color, if it isn't much darker IRL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chrys31|1329938281|3131811 said:
if a stone is secondhand, is it pretty unlikely that the vendor would know much about the stone's treatment? I think I remember reading Be is not as common in old stones, but I don't know how old this is. Besides treatment info, what do you suggest I ask for on a listing like this:
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/engagement_rings_under_5k/335ct_estate_diamond_cyclon_sapphire_18k_gold_engagement_ring.html

dover.jpg

i'm not enamored with the yellow gold, but i do like the stone's color, if it isn't much darker IRL.

Did you know that the stone's facet edges are heavily abraded in some of the pictures reflecting light off the surface.

I personally do not like that color, it reminds me of the overly dark sapphires that most people are trying to get to emulate the Kate/Diana ring. However, if you like it, I wouldn't over pay for it, as it's not prime color. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's so many beautiful examples of sapphires in this forum, and for prices around what you want to pay, and I just don't think this color should be so expensive. Sorry again. Also, a big rule of thumb with vendor photos is the following, at least in my experience and what I've seen on this board, is that if a sapphire (or any gemstone) looks dark in a photo, it will be darker in person.

Vendors seem to be overcharging for that color from what I've seen because of the Kate/Diana ring, so be careful if you like that color, to not overpay.

chrys31

Rough_Rock
oh! I didn't realize about the abrasions; after I looked again, it was visible in the hand shots. Thank you for telling me about that! I'm not in love with the color, but I didn't hate it, though I guess I do, if it is darker IRL!

I'm still trying to figure out my favorite--I think it's a light cornflower shade, or maybe something that gets closer to an aquamarine's color. There are so many choices!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results