shape
carat
color
clarity

newbie in diamond: need advice on small stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''ve been lurking around here, since i decided to propose to my gf with a ring.

I''m in a dilemma here..

I''m looking for a diamond, D-F, VVS-VS range, around 0.55 carat.

I know the size isn''t as big as most of you are looking at, but then again, my girl has small asian fingers, and a bigger carat stone will just look too big.

Anyway, I saw a stone in exceldiamonds.com , and it sort of fits my budget and criteria.

First I''d like to know, is whether their superbcert selection is good ? Are they of better quality H&A series?

Secondly, I''m in Singapore, so I''d like to gather opinion on whether exceldiamonds is a reputable retailer for this..

I thank you in advance for any replies.

1.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
welcome to ps.

mate. i''m about to buy a stone today and i aslo live in asia and have been communicating with barry(superbcert) a fair amount lately. he takes his work home and you''d be amazed at the times when you get a reply from him. he''s very on-the-ball, which is importnat for us on the other side of the world.

check the past threads on supebrcert and look at the data they present.

i am presently shortlisting some stones and superbcert is one of the 3 suppliers.

he has a 59 d vs2 which i think would be a real bombshell of a stone for around 2500us.
been serously considering it myself.

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
thanks for the replies.

actually .. can you guys give me any opinion on this stone i''m shortlisting ?

0.55 F VVS1
Depth : 61.1
Table : 56%
Girdle : Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet : None
Polish : Excellent
Symmetry : Excellent
Clarity Characteristics : Feather
Fluorescence : None

Crown Angle : 34.6
Crown Height : 14.6%
Pavil. Angle : 40.9
Pavil. Depth : 43.3%

Opinions?

I tried looking ard at goodoldgold, and a cut above stones, and I couldn''t find a similar sized diamonds..
15.gif

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
let''s try whether I can link the diamond i am eyeing at:
superbcert

comments and suggestions are welcome..

thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 9:52:03 AM
Author: un1matr1x

I tried looking hard at goodoldgold, and a cut above stones, and I couldn''t find a similar sized diamonds..

Another vote for D-E/VS rather than VVS....

Using the ''Seach by cut quality'' list above, 18 pickings came out for "Round shape, Excellent cut, AGS0 Include, H&A Include, 0.5 - 0.6 cts, D - E clarity, IF - VS2 clarity". Including some at GoodOldGold.

Almost all are VS with THIS E-VVS exception.

My pic would be VS. And looking over the above mentioned list, probably this 0.6cts ''Infinity'' would do:

weight: 0.64
grades: E/ VS2 (PGS)
HCA cut grade: 0.5-EX-ex-ex-ex-vg, H&A
depth: 61.5%
table: 56%
crown: 35°
pavilion: 40.5°
culet: no
finish: ex ex
fluorescence: ft
size: 5.58-5.54x3.42
cost: $2476

It is listed at Wink Jones'' HERE.

The one you have listed is great too - no room for comment. I would probably prefer the proportions on the last (with that pavilion a hair lower) but this is such hair splitting I am a bit leery admitting I gave that a thought
32.gif

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
actually, personally, i''d prefer AGS or GIA cert diamonds.

How much ''nicer'' would D-E compared to an F?

I was willing to compromise on the color in order to get a better clarity.
pricescope search engine gives me a very limited selection for VVS range..

I chatted with "Barry" (is that really him chatting with me on the chat window from exceldiamonds website?) yesterday.

He assured me, for the diamond that I am eyeing above, it sparkles brilliantly.
Brillianscope analysis seems to support this: VH VH H.

appreciate more comments or recommendations..

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you really need VVS clarity? You won''t be able to see any inclusions in VS quality.

For color, I don''t think you''ll see any difference between D-E and F. I''d get F/VS to get the best bang for my buck among your preference range, and you could save some money.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
You''re more likely to see a difference between a D and an F stones (at least if you''re color sensitive like me - I saw it) then you are between a VVS and a VS stone - you''d need superhuman vision for that. If you''re set on spending every penny of your budget for the most impressive-looking small stone possible, get a D VS2.

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
Do I need VVS clarity? i guess not..

shall I consider the VS range too?
1.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ll find a great number of people on this forum who have SI stones that are completely eye clean. I personally have a VS2 stone and even with a loupe, I can''t find any inclusions.

BTW.......from my experience with a different forum, Barry at SuperbCert is a very knowledgeable good guy.

Good luck........

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 12:53:08 PM
Author: ChooChoo
You''re more likely to see a difference between a D and an F stones (at least if you''re color sensitive like me - I saw it) then you are between a VVS and a VS stone -

Second that.

This is what I had in mind with the previous post too.

I don''t know PGS all that well, but would not be shocked to find out that their grades are accurate and certs cheaper - at Wink''s this sort of ''paper'' turns out for stones below 1 ct.

Other labs have some sort of reputation for volume business and lenient grading (dunno, IGI?). This one... doesn''t. If the stone is tempting except for the cert, you may want some explanation from the seller. In fact, I would hope there will be some on this thread
2.gif

Does anyone know what is the story behind these PGS reports ?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice pick Brum
36.gif

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 5:04:53 AM
Author: brum
back again,

check this stone http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/67.html

i''m sure it is right down your street and it must be a real performer.

thanks for the suggestion Brum.

i had a chat and correspondence with barry from excel diamonds.. and he''s very helpful !
After clarifying my doubts with him.. i''m sold for this stone.

Looks like a stunner!
36.gif
36.gif

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Looks nice, let us know how it is.

brum

Rough_Rock
Glad to be of help-this stone impressed me alot, though I went for a slightly bigger one with a lower clarity.

Barry gives absolutely excellent service for people like you an I, who live on the opposite side of the globe.

I have been emailing him on an almost daily basis for the last 2 weeks and he is the only dealer, that I''m aware of, who works outside office hours.

I''m not saying dealers should do, we all have our home lives to live, but when you do live so far away, he offers a real advantage over others for this extra-mile service.

I purchased an SI2 .72 F stone from Tim at GOG. It seems to be a fantastic stone and Tim made my a kind offer, which I could not refuse.

Looking forward to D-Day!

Good luck on that lil''D beauty.

brum

Rough_Rock
should you be thinking of having the setting from Singapore, i suggest you call Whye Hoe in lower delta road. family run jeweler.
i went to check up on my custome ring on thursday and was very impressed, Whye has got some seriously good goldsmiths and so far has offered me excellent service and i think his prices are very reasonable too.

62702278 is his number.

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
What are the taxes like for diamonds imported into singapore, anyway? Probably pretty low, given the conservative economic policies of the government.

brum

Rough_Rock
5% only

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that''s awesome for a foreign shipment.

Singapore''s gov''t might not be the most politically open, but their economic policies are certainly very open!

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 11:28:27 PM
should you be thinking of having the setting from Singapore, i suggest you call Whye Hoe in lower delta road. family run jeweler.

i went to check up on my custome ring on thursday and was very impressed, Whye has got some seriously good goldsmiths and so far has offered me excellent service and i think his prices are very reasonable too.

62702278 is his number.

I'm gonna have the ring set in Spore. I'm looking for classic Tiffany 6-prong design, set in Platinum.

i just went to Whye Hoe's shop.. just came back.
seems to be quite professional about his work.
he apparently has some ready-made rings, but they don't look very impressive.
Is it because they're not polished yet?

Also went to Leipo, Sheena was the one who attended to my queries. She said for classic tiffany design, with platinum, they need to take 10 days to do, because that it's handmade.
Anyone in Singapore has experience with Leipo?

un1matr1x

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 11:23:53 PM
Glad to be of help-this stone impressed me alot, though I went for a slightly bigger one with a lower clarity.

Barry gives absolutely excellent service for people like you an I, who live on the opposite side of the globe.

I have been emailing him on an almost daily basis for the last 2 weeks and he is the only dealer, that I''m aware of, who works outside office hours.

I''m not saying dealers should do, we all have our home lives to live, but when you do live so far away, he offers a real advantage over others for this extra-mile service.

I purchased an SI2 .72 F stone from Tim at GOG. It seems to be a fantastic stone and Tim made my a kind offer, which I could not refuse.

Looking forward to D-Day!

Good luck on that lil''D beauty.

I agree completely, thumbs up for service provided by Barry.
36.gif
36.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
the ring i''m having made is by hand and it will be polished at the end.

whye hoe can use lost-wax castings to make the rings, but for one-offs, he will do the whole thing by hand. that for me is something very special as i have been heavily involved in the design of the ring, something i feel good about, considering who the ring is for.

if you look on a thread here, under cowboystu, you will see the ring he had made by whye hoe and it''s fantastic.

brum

Rough_Rock
you said it gary,

very close-minded in some departments, but vigoroulsy enthusiastic in others, especially when it comes to money, commerce and investment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results