shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie in a small town! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkb_222

Rough_Rock
Hello, new to posting but I have been doing lots of research on this great site. I''m in a small town and haven''t been thrilled with the local B&M''s. One makes it sound like a lot of trouble just to bring a diamond in to look at it, another had the nerve to say if I get one online, he wouldn''t treat me as well in regards to getting a custom setting made with him. Ha! Of course no one tells me the differences in cut, hearts and arrows etc.

Anyway, I''ve been looking at two diamonds, trying to keep the diamond around the $5000 range, as the setting I want will probably be another $1000. I''ve been on Whiteflash and have looked at two, one is ACA and the other is expert selection.

Could use advice as to which one, give up clarity for the ACA, or lose in color and improve clarity to get almost hearts and arrows.

Here are the two links, any advice would be appreciated.

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-756285.htm#

Not ACA but looks like it has decent hearts and arrows from the scope, also scores 1.3, ex, ex, ex, vg on the HCA.

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-688802.htm#

This one is ACA but HCA is 1.8, vg, vg, vg, vg. From what I understand 2.0 and under is what you want, even tho everything here is very good.

I''m confused as to why the ACA is cheaper. I know the clarity is a big difference between these two, is that why the price difference. Do I need to be worried about SI2?

I''m also not sure if I''m being too knick-picky on these scores etc. They both look good but what the heck do I know. I plan on talking with Lesley soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Jeet

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id call and ask for Brian to pull those two diamonds and discuss them.
The si2 should be eyecleanish to eyeclean.
You might be able to see something without a loupe if you look hard enough or maybe not.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2005 11:26:22 PM
Author:jkb_222

I''m confused as to why the ACA is cheaper. I know the clarity is a big difference between these two, is that why the price difference. Do I need to be worried about SI2?
Well... among SI and below some stones look clean some do not and the lab report doesn''t quite catch this information - prices do (at least on average) so you get this wide price range for each grade from visibly included to eye-clean stones.

Whiteflash has this picture of the G/SI2 online:

DI40X_AGS-5074107.jpg

Can you spot the inlcusion ? (black spot in the middle of the stone, between two arrow shafts, about 2 o''clock).
Of course this is a hugely magnified view of a 6mm oblect... so in person this one would be about as prominent as a speck of dust that can''t be brushed away...

Here''s the SI1''s portrait - just about the same (lucky match, no
9.gif
) kind of inclusion - dark spot, next to the center, about 8 o''clock) - just smaller and more scattered.

DI40X_AGS-5285303.jpg

Looking at these two, the SI1 winns hands down - at least IMO, that is.

Both stones look pretty darn amazing in terms of symmetry and cut overall. Those "A Cut Above" are more engineering than diamond !
2.gif
The other one probably comes close...

I am sorry to hear that the local stores were so unhelpful.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 11:26:22 PM
Author:jkb_222

I'm also not sure if I'm being too knick-picky on these scores etc. They both look good but what the heck do I know. I plan on talking with Lesley soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Jeet

You can't try to slice HCA scores that close. You've ruled both in on that basis.

Focus on the eye-clean issue (assuming it matters to you), first, as it's hard to tell from the given information exactly how visible an inclusion might be, and then, second, address the subjective cut issues.

Price seems to jump at the eye-clean threshold, and the ES stone is plain larger, which also counts for something.

This particular choice is a familiar dilemma. Really nice ES or almost the same and ACA, with just a few hairsplitting differences? Talk to WF. If there's an obvious winner they'll tell you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2005 2:293 AM
Author: jkb_222

I found this one too, ACA, G, SI2, the inclusions seem to be right in the middle, but lighter in color, perhaps it''s eyeclean.
Second that ! It seems that this inclusion is a colorless crystal while the other SI2 had a dark one... Given a choice, "colorless" wins
2.gif

jkb_222

Rough_Rock
Thanks, 500 difference between the two SI2. I guess if you want eyeclean you gotta pay for it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to show those arrows ?

If not perhaps this G/SI1 (link) would do - I can''t see any inclusion in that picture. Since pink under the scope means about 75% reflection compared to the reds (citing from memory Garry''s posts), that one looks pretty good - and below 5k.
5.gif

jkb_222

Rough_Rock
Well I thought an ideal cut, or ACA, was the way to go. This one doesn't seem to be ideal, and didn't score so well on the HCA. Am I being too concerned with these numbers?

I found this one, but I think the inclusions are too visible.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-629954.htm#

I'm really struggling with wanting to get something that's really nice, really rare, but not force me into bankruptcy. Part of me is thinking, "hey, you're never going to do this again, you really love her, get something that's really great and that you can be proud of, you know, to prove how I feel."

Damn the guy who started this trend. :)

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 11:34:42 AM
Author: jkb_222

Damn the guy who started this trend. :)
If its any consolation that chap is worm food now
31.gif
28.gif

jkb_222

Rough_Rock
Yeah, :)

I just did a quick little search on the history of engagement, they used to just give a plan iron ring, that''d be nice, couple hundred bucks and you''d be done with it!

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
Jkb, did you find out anything more?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results