shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Here . . . Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
I just found this forum the other day and have found it extremely helpful. I am buying an engagement ring and felt that it would be better to shop for the center stone first. My girlfriend likes the Marquise shape. I am looking to spend about $2k for the center stone. I found one the other day with a jeweler. I have not bought it yet but he is holding it for me. I negotiated the price down to $2k for $2,800. The diamond was very clear and looked like it was almost 1 carat in size. My hunch is that the diamond is shallow and will not be as brilliant. Please let me know what you think. Is this a good price for a diamond of this quality? Also, what are the specs for nice cut of a marquise shaped diamond? Thanks a bunch! Here are the specs:

EGL Certified

Certificate 79543104D
Weight 0.7 ct.
Shape MARQUISE BRILLIANT
Color D
Clarity VS2
Measurements 9.95 x 4.95 x 2.67 mm
Depth 53.9
Table 45.0
Crown 11.9
Pavilion 36.4
Girdle VERY THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Cut Grade
Lot
Comments

UGS Appraisal Value $7180.00

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif
. I too love the marquise cut and am anxiously awaiting my marquise e-ring's completion. When searching for a marquise I used this chart: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc3.asp
But marquises need to be examined! You have viewed this diamond so you should let your eyes make the decision for you.

That being said, the numbers do not look good at all. The table is very small and the stone is quite deep. The l/w ratio is pleasing though. I also don't love the girdle, as very thin on a marquise can be bad if the thin area is near the points. If it really was a beauty, then you should indeed go with it. If you do not consider yourself a good judge in these matters, perhaps you would like to find something with better numbers, to at least help you rule out many bad stones.

Also, do you know if this diamond is certified by EGL-USA? You are paying quite a premium for a 'D' and you want to make sure that you are in fact getting a solid D.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Without knowing your budget/specifications, here are a few I found:

This one will be longer and more skinny:

http://www.whiteflash.com/marquise/Marquise-cut-diamond-756102.htm

This one will be fatter:

http://www.whiteflash.com/marquise/Marquise-cut-diamond-1741099.htm

Of course, just because these diamonds have good numbers does not mean they do not have a bowtie or are otherwise beautiful. I would still recommend having the diamond you choose (if you choose one online) sent to an independent appraiser so you can view it.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Top. Thanks for the input. I am looking forward to reading more informed opinions.
36.gif

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
More insight would be appreciated on this diamond.
19.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look, I really do not know what to make of the numbers for a marquise - the cut has nothing to do with rounds which are mostly debated here.

One way to decide whether this is reasonably brilliant would be to look at more marquise cut diamonds - even of different sizes and grades.

Another is THIS. There are several related tools usually meant to evaluated ideal rounds, so the shop may just have one out of luck if they also carry some brands of H&A diamonds.

My 0.2....

Best of luck with the ring hunt!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All in all D-VS does not stryke me as a 'bargain' choice. If you want to stick with the budget and find more choices in terms of cut quality or what not, E, F and G sounds just as good and may look precisely colorless to you and the majority of others, especially given the carat-ish size of the diamond. The visual difference between color grades increases with diamond size.

I hope you do end up with the quote you want. The least pricey quote here is about $2300 ( I've serached for marquise cut .7-.85 cts, 50%-65% depth, 50%-65% table, GIA graded, D-G color, VS1-VS2 clarity). prices are not correlated with color in this bunch.

Among them, one with similar size and more mainstream proportions could be THIS

Shape: Marquise
Carat weight: 0.72
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 62.6%
Table: 57%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Medium to very thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 9.81*4.49*2.81
Ratio: 2.18

...which does not mena it looks better, but... since it was mentioned those are less straightforward.
The seller may provide pictures - it happened before.

As for the numbers of your find,

Basically, maybe seing it will make me hate it too, but for now all I can do is immagine what it may look like in rather rough terms plus some wishful thinking.

Some things about the proportions you gave don't quite add up: that table and crown height add up to... less than 30 degrees crown angles. Which is hard to believe and would leave the girdle fragile if this is indeed the case.

The report give a rather wide range for girdle thickness, but adding up crown height and pavilion depth, the average girdle thickness is very thick. I would not be surprised if some of the measurements are rather aproximative. It happens sometimes...

I am not an expert though, and if you did like that stone, you may well want to ask one's advice. If you do look for another, it may help to gather some information on what to look for next.

Just for fun, the numbers of your find 'look' like this to me:

DreamOnMarq.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are too good Ana -
36.gif
36.gif

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
You ladies are truly incredible. I got back much more information and analysis from each of you than I would have ever hoped for. It''s people like you that make this such a fabulous site to frequent.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Here''s two diamonds I''m considering:

Price: $1,796.00
Report: GIA
Carat weight: 0.64
Cut: Very Good
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 60.4%
Table %: 63%
Polish: Good
Girdle: Medium to thick
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 9.42x4.39x2.65 mm
Length/width ratio: 2.15

or:

Price: $1,760.00
Report: GIA
Carat: 0.64
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 62.7
Table: 58
Girdle: TN-TK F
Polish: Very Good
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 9.50-4.37X2.74
Length/Width: 2.17

Based on my research so far, girdle thickness does not seem ideal for the first. Am I correct?

Also, should I be concerned with the "faint" flouresence of the first?

Thanks again!
34.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Dave Atlas'' chart lists the best girdles to be between very thin to slightly thick and thin to thick. Medium is usually considered to be the best. Both of the diamonds look pretty good, but I like #2 better, due to the much better table %. Both diamonds will be a little on the chubby side. Either could still have a bow tie though. Having the crown height would be helpful in deciding on a stone. I don''t suppose you''ve seen either of these, or pictures? Really, either could be beautiful, I wouldn''t recommend getting a marquise sight-unseen unless you don''t mind the possibility that you may have to return it. They''re just so hard to tell from numbers alone.

My diamond is a D with faint flourescence and I cannot see any sign of the blue, even in bright sunlight-only under the appraiser''s black light was I able to see it, but I kind of liked it, to tell you the truth. Sometimes, faint or medium can even be advantageous (assuming it brings no cloudiness) because it may cause the diamond to appear even whiter. That''s not really a concern though for colorless stones such as these.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Wow! Thanks again Jazimine
36.gif
I will call the online vendors that have those stones on Monday to get the specs on the table (Bluenile and White Flash). I''ll also ask whether the diamonds have any visible bowties.

Is there anyone in particular that I should be asking for when I call?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
No problem. It is the crown height that you might be asking for. In my expirience, BN will not have this info. When shopping for my marquise, I found a very promising one on BN''s website. Unfortunatly, they would not send me pictures or send the diamond to an independant appraiser prior to purchase so I could view it, as WF and some other vendors will. That''s not to say you shouldn''t consider the BN stone, you just will most likely not get any more info than what is listed online. They do have a 30 return policy however. WF will supply alot more info, including a Sarin and Idealscope.

I am currently working with Bob at WF for my setting but I''m sure anyone there can help you. I have always gotten excellent customer service from everyone I have spoken to.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Whoa Jas those are skinny Marquise! A fat Marquise is 1.75 a skinny is over 2.0. :) I think Cohiba''s first stone was a sure no go but these others if she likes the real skinny Marquise are better than the first. Go here and click on shape selector to see a Marquise of diff widths http://www.gemappraisers.com/

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
Sorry ''bout that. Kimberly''s correct. They are skinny marquise.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Still in the hunt folks!

I am really interested in these two. What do all my fellow pricescopers think?

Weight 0.81 ct.
Report EGL
Shape MARQUISE BRILLIANT
Color F
Clarity SI1
Measurements 9.41 x 4.93 x 3.05 mm
Depth 61.9
Table 57.4
Crown 15.1
Pavilion 42.4
Girdle THIN TO THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE
Price $2,254

Weight 0.80
Report GIA
Shape Maqruise Brilliant
Color E
Clarity SI1
Measurements 9.60x4.83x3.10
Depth % 64.2
Table % 57
Fluorescence None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Price $2,460
28.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Have you seen it? The numbers look good, but being an EGL, I would want to make sure that it was eye clean. Also, do you have pictures? I would also want to make sure that the bow tie was minimal, which the numbers can never guarantee.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
I just edited my post and included a second diamond. I have not seen them but I can get the vendors to send them to local appraisers for a viewing.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
The 2nd stone looks a little deep for me but I do like the VG polish and symmetry which can be very hard to find in a marquise. I also prefer to stay with GIA, but that''s just me.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyone's help! After having the second diamond above appraised, I purchased the it from Mark Turnowski. It is a very beautiful and vibrant stone. The appraiser said it was one of the more beautiful Marquise cut diamonds he has seen. I too was concerned over the depth, being that it was 1.2% greater than ideal, but I guess fancies really do have to be viewed for subjective evaluation. There is a very, very small bowtie that is hardly even noticeable. The stone is totally eye-clean and has a very nice symmetry to it.

I am so glad I found this site and got your opinions on the diamond I was going to purchase initially. In comparison the other diamond was a very poor cut (to shallow) and appeared glassy with no liveliness to it. In the end, I got a gorgeous GIA diamond with a very good cut that is .10 bigger than the original stone. Also, this stone comes with a full lifetime tradeup guarantee.

It was an absolute pleasure to deal with Mark Turnowski from ERD. He is a total professional and was never high pressure. He even matched the price of another vendor. I would, without any hesitation, recommend Mark for your next diamond purchase.

I will post pics soon after I have it mounted this week.

Thanks again to Jazmine, Valeria and Kimberly. I couldn't have done it without all of you
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

P.S., Check out my thread regarding the Hawaiian Luau Proposal in the Proposal Ideas Forum.

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Top for props!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not surpised Mark found you a great stone. He sure comes up with some beauties. Congrats...now heading over to propasal ideas to check out yours
2.gif

Cohiba

Rough_Rock
Mark T actually facilitated the deal. I found the diamond through another vendor and Mark made it happen. I liked the fact that he was able to view the diamond first, rather than drop-shipping the diamond to me. Also, I really like the guarantees involved when you purchase through ERD.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results