shape
carat
color
clarity

New York Shopping Cartier , Michael C Fina , Graff, Van Cleef, Tiffinys

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here is how the day went:

1. Cartier, they showd the the Declaration DeAmar, and she really loved that setting, low, nice.
They showed us two rings, one had the diameters on the GIA one did not due to the year GIA analyzed it.
a) 1.50 ct G VVS2
$29,375.00 Cut grade: excellent, Polish: Excellent Symmetry. Then on right side were the angles, etc..
Slightly thick facected. It was a diagram of a diamond, which she drew for them, but didn''t have titles.
We can probably figure it out. 58% table, 55% right off table down to first line, Top angle had 35.5
Bottom angle had 41.4. Had 80% indicated at large portion of bottom of diamond.
Then inside diamond had a vew percentages too, not sure if they mean anything:
15.0% the top slant, then 62.3% in the middle, by the girdle.
b) 1.66 ct G VS1 $30,400.00 Polish very good, Symmetry: very good.
This one is larger and no additional specs, and it didn''t have the excellent on it, but was nice because it was larger.

2. Michael C Fina - Showed loose stones, 1 Hearts on Fire 1.60 F SI1 $28,000.00 Others too that were not Hearts on Fire, but excellent written on GIA report, didn''t see full report, just on paper the diamonds came in.
The diamonds were around 20,000.00 up to 30,000.00 and between 1.50 and 1.70.
Then they found two settings they loved, 1 Michael B setting (has little diamonds circling it, not everywhere just in separated spots on the rings, it sits flush, beautiful head for the main diamond. Just not sure of the name, it was not the one with tons of diamonds, just interspursed, it was round 10,000 for both ering and band.
Then they found 1 by Jeff Cooper, it had a plan band that fit into the ring, that had two bagettes on each side, and very nice, that was less, around 7,000 or so for both.

3. Graff, but decided not to do the Graff one, seems too much and were not thrilled about the setting.

4. Van Cleef, very expensive, but he was very nice. He told them that they could get a loose stone with much better quality then trying to get from Cartier, because it seems like your tacking on 10,000 for the name.
Then get a designer setting from Michael Fina after finding the stone.
He gave them a phone number to a man on 47th street, and he said they are friends, supposively, and they can trust him, so they are going to call him and see what loose stones this man has, and now are sort of thinking this is the best route since their assumption that just buying from HW Graff Cartier will produce and excellent cut is not necessiarily true unless you want to pay another 10,000 then you probably can get F or so and excellent.

What do you think, still go with that setting that Cartier has, or are they going in right direction now, picking stone and then going to Michael C fina and ordering either Michael B or Jeff Cooper,.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you know that we are going to say that they will do better buying the stone and getting Michal C Fina to order the setting. But I would not just go to some guy on 47th St. when we know for SURE that Good Old Gold has top quality diamonds at a fair price. You don't know this about the guy on 47th street. We hear all the time on this forum about people who have a "friend of the family" on 47th, or wherever, and it rarely turns out well.

I think Michael B is a great choice for the setting and of the highest quality. So that part is very good! It was probably the Lace setting if there were groupings of diamonds with space in between.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/michael-b-jewelry/rings/06P1/18/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I have to agree. If they're at the point of looking at loose stones now (and yes, I personally think that's the way to go), I say go to GOG. The guy on 47th St. may have good ones (although I do doubt they're on GOG's level of cut), or not. Why waste time? Go with the sure bet, and let them see some killer stones.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 11:02:06 AM
Author: Ellen
Yeah, I have to agree. If they''re at the point of looking at loose stones now (and yes, I personally think that''s the way to go), I say go to GOG. The guy on 47th St. may have good ones (although I do doubt they''re on GOG''s level of cut), or not. Why waste time? Go with the sure bet, and let them see some killer stones.
Ditto. They should now head right to GOG, and see Jonathon. We don''t know anything about this guy on 47th street.... He could have nice stones, but they are better off going with GOG.

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that''s the setting from Michael B. The Jeff Cooper one is hard to find on his website.
http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/item.php?cat=13&item=78

But, similiar to this, with the plain band and the ering had diamonds on it.

They are going to call the guy just in case on 47th, but will call GoG too, it''s just they don''t want to
travel to Long Island.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 11:39:31 AM
Author: Carolynw

They are going to call the guy just in case on 47th, but will call GoG too, it''s just they don''t want to
travel to Long Island.
Tell them it will more than be worth it.
2.gif

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that''s the setting from Michael B. The Jeff Cooper one is hard to find on his website.
http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/item.php?cat=13&item=78

But, similiar to this, with the plain band and the ering had diamonds on it.

travel to Long Island.
That Jeff Cooper setting is beautiful. If they don''t want to go to LI, Mark T of ERD is in the city. They just need to make an appt to see him.

pyle112

Rough_Rock
I think Engagement Rings Direct and Excel Diamonds are both in the Manhattan Diamond District and both have very good reputations on pricescope.

excel

ERD

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, for that matter, Ellen, Kaleigh, and I have all bought diamonds from Good Old Gold without ever going there! They have all the information on the stones on the site, so it's almost impossible to go wrong. But Jon can always call in a stone with the specs they want if he doesn't have the exact one. But I don't think they'll do much better than that 1.8 F VS2 if they want to stay in the 1.5-2.0 carat range.

P.S. I had them send me two stone to choose from and I sent the one back that I didn't want.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Given that they are really resistant to travelling to LI, I'd strongly second Pyle's suggestion and visit Mark Turnowski at ERD.

I've worked with him - he has access to amazing stones, and he seems to be a better fit proximity-wise as he's right downtown.

I'd highly recommend him, Carolyn.....he's prompt, has excellent follow through, he listens to what your wants are, and his prices are competitive with the online vendors (which means MUCH more competitive than local standard B&M stores).

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Does ERD have a showroom, or a store down there, I mean where does he show you the diamonds and can you buy the diamond and take it or have him go with you to get a second opinion.

What is the difference in your opinion from buying from let''s say: Michael C Fina the loose stone?
I mean, isn''t it safer due to the ability to walk into the store, and they have return policies etc..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carolyn, what we have honestly been trying to get across here is that certain vendors specialize in top quality stones. You may be able to get MCF to get one in, but why would they want to pay 30-50% more for the same stone they could get at Good Old Gold or Engagement Rings Direct?

In theory, they do nto even need another opinion on a stone that has a AGS0 or GIA Excellent (that falls in AGS0 range) lab report. The lab report IS the independent opinion on the stone.

And yes, you can go see Mark at his store or office to see stones. They''d need to call and make an appointment and tell him what they are looking for.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 12:44:03 PM
Does ERD have a showroom, or a store down there, I mean where does he show you the diamonds and can you buy the diamond and take it or have him go with you to get a second opinion.

What is the difference in your opinion from buying from let's say: Michael C Fina the loose stone?
I mean, isn't it safer due to the ability to walk into the store, and they have return policies etc..
They have a place of buisness and they do have a return policy. Hey, that is what this whole website is about, helping to find vendors who are competative (low prices), and teaching us about a well cut diamond. I would make an appointment w/engagement rings direct or GOG and see what they come up with. Lots of people buy from them. In Show Me the Ring there are many many rings posted from the various vendors. Just my 2 cents; best wishes Carolyn
35.gif

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 12:24:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, for that matter, Ellen, Kaleigh, and I have all bought diamonds from Good Old Gold without ever going there! They have all the information on the stones on the site, so it''s almost impossible to go wrong. But Jon can always call in a stone with the specs they want if he doesn''t have the exact one. But I don''t think they''ll do much better than that 1.8 F VS2 if they want to stay in the 1.5-2.0 carat range.

P.S. I had them send me two stone to choose from and I sent the one back that I didn''t want.
I respect their desires for brand rings. And I believe ERD and EXCEL offer nice products and services. There have been many happy customers I remember here on PS. I can only share my experience (facts I know myself), in case it can be of some help:

DS is right here. This one is really gorgeous. I know very well because I really wanted this one and was almost about to buy it. Nice arrow you can enjoy in many light conditsions from many angles. I love arrow and fluo some don''t care that is fine. Because of the difference in preference between me and wife, we went for the one similar (in style, not in size ...) to 2.3 H/VS2 that was also suggested in the original thread. They represent 2 of (more) cutting styles GOG offers. Both are wonderful, and are (IMO) quite easy to differentiate. If possible, I highly recommend them to see these diamonds in person.

I made a 24-hours CALI round trip. No regret. Web site says an appointment is for one hour but I think we spent over 2 hours. Jonathan will make sure that they will get well educated.

To Belle: Sorry if I have contributed to some confusion in another thread regarding LGF 75 and 77. It is because we know that "we" clearly see difference in appearance between them. We saw other 75 and 77 (and higher) and observed the same. My wife got 77.2 and is different (to us) from the 1.84 FVS2 (75) I was planning to get. It was not a hairspliting but was a decision point for us. Hope you understand that I really meant they are different, not good or bad at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/21/2007 1:16:19 PM
Author: gontama

Date: 10/21/2007 12:24:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, for that matter, Ellen, Kaleigh, and I have all bought diamonds from Good Old Gold without ever going there! They have all the information on the stones on the site, so it''s almost impossible to go wrong. But Jon can always call in a stone with the specs they want if he doesn''t have the exact one. But I don''t think they''ll do much better than that 1.8 F VS2 if they want to stay in the 1.5-2.0 carat range.

P.S. I had them send me two stone to choose from and I sent the one back that I didn''t want.
I respect their desires for brand rings. And I believe ERD and EXCEL offer nice products and services. There have been many happy customers I remember here on PS. I can only share my experience (facts I know myself), in case it can be of some help:

DS is right here. This one is really gorgeous. I know very well because I really wanted this one and was almost about to buy it. Nice arrow you can enjoy in many light conditsions from many angles. I love arrow and fluo some don''t care that is fine. Because of the difference in preference between me and wife, we went for the one similar (in style, not in size ...) to 2.3 H/VS2 that was also suggested in the original thread. They represent 2 of (more) cutting styles GOG offers. Both are wonderful, and are (IMO) quite easy to differentiate. If possible, I highly recommend them to see these diamonds in person.

I made a 24-hours CA<-->LI round trip. No regret. Web site says an appointment is for one hour but I think we spent over 2 hours. Jonathan will make sure that they will get well educated.

To Belle: Sorry if I have contributed to some confusion in another thread regarding LGF 75 and 77. It is because we know that ''we'' clearly see difference in appearance between them. We saw other 75 and 77 (and higher) and observed the same. My wife got 77.2 and is different (to us) from the 1.84 FVS2 (75) I was planning to get. It was not a hairspliting but was a decision point for us. Hope you understand that I really meant they are different, not good or bad at all.
Oh, wow, gontame! When did you go to GOG? Have you posted about your visit? Congrats on your stone! I know it is gorgeous! Please post a separate thread for us!

H

hlpkaixin3344

JB International is the one Van Cleef recommended

H

hlpkaixin3344

NOt sure why, but it posted not as me, annonoumous user

gontama

Shiny_Rock
Oh, wow, gontame! When did you go to GOG? Have you posted about your visit? Congrats on your stone! I know it is gorgeous! Please post a separate thread for us!
It was in May. I did post my purchase here. I plan to post pics of the complete ring when I can. Not much time available to me and I am not good at camera. Based on recommendation here, I even purchased Gemoro UltraSonic and UltraJet which I have not used at all (no time to learan). Instead I often clean her ring with baking soda which works quite well... Will post when ready.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2007 1:36:00 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
NOt sure why, but it posted not as me, annonoumous user

You probably just have to log back in, Carolyn. (I''m assuming that''s you!) It should say "LOG IN" at the top of the webpage.

If they are making the move into Loose diamonds of top quality I think they are DEF making the right move. Congratulations.

Date: 10/21/2007 10:47:57 AM
Author:Carolynw

He gave them a phone number to a man on 47th street, and he said they are friends, supposively, and they can trust him
Nothing wrong with looking around of course, but make sure they aren''t tooo trusting.

travel to Long Island.

I don''t understand, how long did it take them to make 30,000+ Dollars?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
If they go to a dealer on 47th Street, they no longer have the elegant experience they had hoped for. Any shop on 47th street can have stones sent in quickly but you are usually just standing at a counter and it is far from elegant.

If you do not want to make the trip to GOG then Mark at ERD seems like a great choice. He is familiar with dealing with Pricescope customers who know what they want and, if you look on his web site, he has an enormous number of stones available to him that he can easily call in since he is in the Diamond District.

Another suggestion would be to look at the ACA and Expert selections at Whiteflash. These are guaranteed winners in order to pass their standards for these categories.

You can then call Brian Gavin who is a cutter himself and discuss with him which stone or stones he would recommend. They have several in your price range--all over 2 carats.
They will send a stone or stones to a reliable appraiser in the Diamond District where you can see the stone and have it appraised at the same time.

I had my stone sent to David Wolf at Just Appraisers. If you like what you see, you can either pay for the stone and take it with you or have it sent back for setting or payment through Whiteflash. Whiteflash has beautiful custom settings and people on Pricescope seem to be very pleased with their selection and workmanship.

If you do not like what you see, you are under no obligation to buy. You will just pay for the appraisal and pay to have the appraiser ship it back to Whiteflash.
I bought my ring this way after discussing the stone at length with Brian Gavin and I am thrilled with it. Other Pricescope vendors, not in the NYC area, will do the same.

I wish you luck whichever way you decide to go.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering about what your relatives decided to do. Any shopping trips planned for this week-end?

Carolynw

Shiny_Rock
Went to ERD today and another one, i have another thread regarding 1 diamond that looked interesting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results