shape
carat
color
clarity

New York New York!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Have a safe trip Delster...and the loveliest time ever!!! The weather here is wonderful right now (w/ the occasional crazy thunderstorm)...last week the heat was unbearable
29.gif

You''re in for some fun times!! Can''t wait to see your beautiful Leon!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bit late to the game, but have a great time in New York, Delster!

Also, if you are in Central Park, it''s really fun to rent a rowboat and go rowing on the lake and it''s not too expensive. I did it with a friend of mine and had a blast.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, NYC.... I get all verklempt.
7.gif
I miss it so... I lived there for almost 17 years and I think the Circle Line boat tour is really interesting. I'd lived there a LONG time before I actually did it and still found it fascinating.

www.circleline42.com

I know it's changed a lot since I left, but other things that come to mind:

Dean & DeLuca, if you're foodies (http://www.deandeluca.com/)

Fraunces Tavern for drinks and history - George Washington hung out there. (http://www.frauncestavern.com/index2.htm

An architectural walking tour of The Village. (http://www.nyc-architecture.com/walks-GV1.htm)

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooooooo, how was the Grande Pomme?

po
x

Delster

Ideal_Rock
So who wants to some see NY photos?
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2008 8:03:01 AM
Author: Delster
So who wants to some see NY photos?
31.gif
where?????
emotion-40.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Aw, my favourite Brit is first off the mark! Stand by for piccies darlin...
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2008 8:14:47 AM
Author: Delster
Aw, my favourite Brit is first off the mark! Stand by for piccies darlin...
9.gif
hehehe!!

Standin'' by.....
41.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
IIRC, this is the Queensboro Bridge...

ETA - nope, it's the Brooklyn Bridge!

ny1.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
And that one in the background is the Brooklyn Bridge
1.gif

ETA - nope, I think that one is actually the Manhattan Bridge? Help me out here please, native New Yorkers!!! I'm so ashamed of myself...
28.gif

ny2.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
OK without a doubt, this is Grand Central Station
16.gif

ny3.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
My favourite skyscraper, the Chrysler building. Photo taken from on top of the Empire State (which was waaaay too crowded, even at 11:30pm
38.gif
)

(photo's a little blurry, but I'm posting it anyway because I just love that building so much
30.gif
)

ny4.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
That bright patch down there? That would be Times Square! So beautiful to look at from way up on high. So miserable to try and walk through!

ny5.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Lady Liberty herself...

ny6.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
The processing hall on Ellis Island... average waiting time was 6 hours, and on an average day they cleared something like 6,000 people
23.gif

ny7.JPG

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow. that last night shot - beautiful!!
30.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful ceiling...

ny8.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
The audio guide accompanying this part of the Ellis Island tour was very poignant. After processing, the immigrants went through one of those doors - one door led to more processing; one door let to a waiting area and someone would have to come and claim you (all women and children had to be claimed); and the last door led to the ferry terminal, for travel straight over to Manhattan (for all single men, and women and children who had their with menfolk with them). The audio had an account by an elderly Italian lady, talking about how she went through those doors as a child, to be collected by the father she had never met before. She completely broke down telling the story. It was incredibly moving.

ny9.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I also found this moving, it was in one of the cases displaying items the immigrants brought with them. This is an Irish language prayerbook, written in the old Irish alphabet, and it''s opened at the Creed. My parents would have learned their Irish in this alphabet but I can only read it with difficulty.

ny10.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 8:33:02 AM
Author: jcrow
wow. that last night shot - beautiful!!
30.gif
Thank you! Those are sure hard to take!
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed the pics, thanks Del!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Love the pics, Del. I too was in NY last week. I miss it already. I love the pic of the Chrysler Building - I had a close view from one of the windows in my suite at the Waldorf Towers. I would gaze every morning and night.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Chrysler Building...definitely my fav.

Love the pics! But glad you''re back
35.gif

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Delster - your photos are AMAZING! And I''m so glad you had a good time. Ellis Island is one of my favorite NYC places and unfortunately so many people miss it - so much history!

Do you mind sharing what camera you used? TIA!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Delster, LOVE the photos, they are wonderful. My grandpa came through Ellis Island when he was 7 years old. He came from Germany. DH and I loved visiting there also. We LOVED New York. We can''t wait to go back again.
36.gif

I am so glad you had such a great time. Isn''t it exciting there?

Linda

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i love new york and have been itchin'' to go back! i am thinking we''ll go next year.
i loved that ceiling shot. it''s gorgeous. and i loved your recap of the audio tour. i don''t remember doing that when went. nor do i remember them even offering it, but i will definitely put it on our to-do list!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, awesome pics!!! I loved Grand Central Station and the Empire State building when I was there; you guys look like you had a blast! Beautiful pics and congrats on the engagement sweetheart
36.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
You know, Delster -- you have a really good eye for proportion, color and texture!

Nice photos!

And NIIIIIIIICE LEON! Congrats, girlfriend!
36.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely photos Delster your really whetting my appetite. We will be in New York in 10 days time
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results