shape
carat
color
clarity

New York Hotels

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Can anyone suggest a nice hotel in fairly central NY?

FI and I will be there from the 21st till the 26th and would like to spend less than $2k on accomodation between us if possible(the cheapest I''ve found so far is about $1400.

Basically looking for a decent double room with private bathroom. Not interested in mega-frills - just somewhere handy to do all the tourist stuff and that''s safe and clean!

It''s the first time I''ve been there so I''m pretty clueless!

Any suggestions???

Also any suggestions on fun things to do - we like zoos and architecture and museums (especially if they have good gemstone sections
31.gif
)

Thanks!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh, Pandora--you are going to LOVE New York! Well, I do, so . . .

Anyway, every time we go we stay at the Mayfair New York, it''s located at 242 W 49th Street. It''s in a great location, near Broadway and Times Square, etc. It''s a tiny boutique hotel, so I''m not sure if they have double rooms, but it is really adorable. It''s very clean, the rooms are teeny tiny, but most NYC hotel rooms are tiny. The staff is excellent, they are extremely helpful and they always hold our bags for us after checkout while we''re spending our last day in the city before our flight.

We normally pay around $250 a night when we stay there.

I''m not home, but when I get there I''ll post some pics of our room from our last stay--we took several because it was so adorable.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
It's been several years since we were down there. Though hopefully you'll get more feedback...scroll to page 3 of Tripadvisor to begin to see options...and I see about 6 on that page (after the first 70 have been passed by!)... These include: Broadway Inn, Hotel Newton, Pod Hotel, 414 Inn, Intercontintal, Belleclaire Hotel...with prices reportedly ranging from $109 to $260.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2007 6:12:50 PM
Author:Pandora II
Can anyone suggest a nice hotel in fairly central NY?

FI and I will be there from the 21st till the 26th and would like to spend less than $2k on accomodation between us if possible(the cheapest I''ve found so far is about $1400.

Basically looking for a decent double room with private bathroom. Not interested in mega-frills - just somewhere handy to do all the tourist stuff and that''s safe and clean!

It''s the first time I''ve been there so I''m pretty clueless!

Any suggestions???

Also any suggestions on fun things to do - we like zoos and architecture and museums (especially if they have good gemstone sections
31.gif
)

Thanks!
Pandora,

I''m drawing a blank on hotels because I''ve never needed one here. But, for that Tsavorite, you can have my flat.
2.gif

As for fun things, the Bronx Zoo is great. The Central Park Zoo is also charming if you don''t want to travel too far. There are architecture walking tours available (including one focussing on gargoyles). The Natural History Museum has a gemstone section, but I wasn''t wowed. The Diamond District, on the other hand ... What do you both like to eat? I can be of help in that area.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Lol,

You''d have to kill me first for the tsav!

We could both live on sushi! Basically we eat everything, but like good versions of whatever.

NY seems even more expensive than London!

Thanks for the tips guys, I''m checking them all out - I spent 4hrs on trip advisor last night!

If we decided to stay somewhere outside the city and see some surrounding countryside (? is there some - sorry very dense here) and come into the city for a couple of day trips is that feasible? I''ve heard Saratoga Springs is amazing...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out: www.menupages.com For good sushi at a good price, I like Sushi Seki, which is a couple of blocks away from my flat. Btw, will I have the pleasure of meeting you?

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Pandora:

My husband and I stay at the Cosmo Hotel, it's at W. Broadway and Chambers in Tribeca. There's a subway station steps from the hotel. The rates are great for the location, I believe we paid $175/night and we were just there a couple of months ago. The rooms are teeny-tiny but clean, with nice bathrooms, and I believe they have doubles. We have some friends that live in Tribeca and they recommend the Cosmo to all their friends. As far as eats, I am sure there are many better qualified to give recommendations!

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 9:26:49 PM
Author: Harriet
Check out: www.menupages.com For good sushi at a good price, I like Sushi Seki, which is a couple of blocks away from my flat. Btw, will I have the pleasure of meeting you?
Not to hijak but this is one of my favorite sushi places. So amazing!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Harriet - a meet-up would be great. If someone wants to suggest times/dates I''ll plan round them. I fly in on the 21st evening and out on the 26th morning.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The three hotels that we''ve stayed at were the fitzpatrick manhattan hotel, the hotel giraffe and the library hotel. I love them all but I think the library is my fave-the champagne in the evening is an added bonus after a day''s exploring.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, on your recommendation I just booked Seki Sushi for Sept 12, 7.45 pm. Provided our plane lands anywhere on time we should be in the restuarant that night. If you are around stop by and visit! That restaurant is the heart of my old neighborhood so I am excited about it. My Japanese husband loves excellent sushi and this sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 6:55:22 PM
Author: Beacon
Harriet, on your recommendation I just booked Seki Sushi for Sept 12, 7.45 pm. Provided our plane lands anywhere on time we should be in the restuarant that night. If you are around stop by and visit! That restaurant is the heart of my old neighborhood so I am excited about it. My Japanese husband loves excellent sushi and this sounds perfect. Thanks for the recommendation.
Of course I''ll stop by! If I can''t, how long will you be here? I hope Seki doesn''t disappoint your hubbie. If you''d like better, but pricier, sushi, let me know. There are a couple of other places.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results