shape
carat
color
clarity

New (White) Kitchen Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
As I've mentioned before we are starting a massive house project in 1-2 months depending on the weather. There will be lots of decisions to be made but for now we are focusing on the kitchen. The space will be new so completely from scratch. I thought I'd start a thread since I know we have alot of ladies here who are also remodeling kitchens or building new houses and spaces!

Anyway, so far we have decided on white cabinets with the island in contrasting darker wood (cherry). The kitchen will be open plan leading to the family room. There will be ample natural light and windows.

For cabinets we are deciding between 2. The color will either be ivory paint or a shade lighter (but not as light as true white). The cabinets are maple. If we go with the 1st cabinet choice, we are considering a glaze. The house is a traditional center hall colonial.

Cabinet option 1:

cabinet.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Here is the 2nd cabinet. Sorry I don''t have a picture of it in white. I like it''s clean look, but again it would be painted. I love the look of white kitchens and know it''s a trend now, but does anyone who has one have concerns with wear and tear (paint chipping etc?)

cabinet2.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Some other random info--the hardware will be oil rubbed bronze--round knobs with long handles on the drawer portions only. The island wil be quite large, about 8 ft. It will include a sink and dishwasher, microwave, trash section in cabinets etc. The opposite wall will be all the cabinets, oven, fridge, pull out cabinets for pots etc.

We are going with stainless appliances. One option that has come into play are "drawer appliances". For example a microvave that pulls out like a drawer, and a dishwasher as well. We aren''t sure about this yet at all--but curous if anyone''s used them and thoughts?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Oh and countertops will be granite. I know a lot of people think this is going out of style, but it makes the most sense for us. Not decided yet on granite, but would have to go with white and dark cherry cabinets. Something that is neutral but has some warm specs of gold/brown maybe.

So much to do/decide-I can''t believe we''ll have bathrooms, windows, lighting, paint to choose too eventually!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
My mom has white cabinets, which they repainted themselves a few years ago. The paint is strating to wear off on the parts that get handled the most, like the cup cuboard. I don''t know if this would happen with a professionally painted cabinet, but something to think about.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I would choose a cabinet that had one router groove/ledge next to the inner panel. Sorry don''t know what it''s called. I have painted white cabinets and it''s hard to keep the lower cabinet ledge corners clean because it catches dust and drips. I''m always scrubbing it with a magic eraser to get the gunk clean and then that''s where my paint wears.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a problem with my white cabs. I mentioned in your other friend we are rehabbing a house with white cabs and put in San Francisco real granite with slate subway tiles as a backsplash (for contrast). It looks great. I can try to get a pic if you would like.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ve just done white cabinets in our kitchen. I had my builder hand-paint them in Farrow & Ball''s ''Pointing'' which is a slightly off-white. I like that you can see the brushmarks if you look closely (I don''t like flat white lacquer look) and that it means that if they chip or scratch I can just whack another coat of paint on.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Janine, I like the second door style more, but you couldn''t go wrong with either choice. What manufacturer are you getting your cabinets from?

Also, granite will never actually go out of style. It''s just that some varieties tend to be overused more than others. Even though, I think your choice is relatively simple, honed black granite (not black galaxy). And then, Kashmir white (or something like Giallo Ornamental, Imperial White, or Ivory Brown) for the island. Actually, Ivory Brown could be used throughout the entire space.

If you''re worried about something being trendy, I would probably not go with oil rubbed bronze. I kind of go back and forth on oil rubbed bronze, I like it, but it''s kind of like the overused granites. People seemed to have zeroed in on certain things and ran with them. I think nickel tends to be a choice that is universally appealing, but not trendy.

The only experience I''ve had with drawer style appliances is with dishwashers. If you''re going to go that route, I would suggest Fisher Paykel.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 2:05:38 AM
Author: pennquaker09
Janine, I like the second door style more, but you couldn''t go wrong with either choice. What manufacturer are you getting your cabinets from?

Also, granite will never actually go out of style. It''s just that some varieties tend to be overused more than others. Even though, I think your choice is relatively simple, honed black granite (not black galaxy). And then, Kashmir white (or something like Giallo Ornamental, Imperial White, or Ivory Brown) for the island. Actually, Ivory Brown could be used throughout the entire space.

If you''re worried about something being trendy, I would probably not go with oil rubbed bronze. I kind of go back and forth on oil rubbed bronze, I like it, but it''s kind of like the overused granites. People seemed to have zeroed in on certain things and ran with them. I think nickel tends to be a choice that is universally appealing, but not trendy.

The only experience I''ve had with drawer style appliances is with dishwashers. If you''re going to go that route, I would suggest Fisher Paykel.

Thanks penn, great feedback as usual! The drawer dishwasher is F&P by the way.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 4:48:27 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I don''t have a problem with my white cabs. I mentioned in your other friend we are rehabbing a house with white cabs and put in San Francisco real granite with slate subway tiles as a backsplash (for contrast). It looks great. I can try to get a pic if you would like.

I would love to see a picture!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2010 12:18:50 PM
Author: janinegirly

Date: 2/25/2010 2:05:38 AM
Author: pennquaker09

Thanks penn, great feedback as usual! The drawer dishwasher is F&P by the way.
Penn, Just wanted to follow up a bit. I think we are leaning towards the 2nd cabinet (shaker style)--the first is more reasonable though, but that''s not enough to choose it over the other. Glaze also will not work on the Shaker as it is relatively flat, but that''s not a huge thing. Cabinetry is Starmark I believe. We found a pretty decent quote and will not need custom since it''s brand new space. What are yout thoughts on Bead Board for the island if we had a Shaker cabinet? I''m not sure..but it''s something one designer suggested.

Oh and I looked at Ivory Brown--very pretty! I like the idea that it goes with the white and darker island cabinetry. Honed Granite is lovely too for contrast.

With the oil rubbed bronze, I think it looks great against the white cabinet, but you make a good point. Thanks again, I just always love your feedback!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like number 2, I think they call it a "shaker" style but I could be wrong. This type of door is great for either traditional or modern spaces and with a change in hardware can have a completely new look. I currently have a downtown loft with white cabinets similar to the first style and we are actually thinking of getting the doors (just the doors) replaced to look like your second style. Our condo is a little too tranditional for our young downtown neighborhood and we want to modernize it a bit without spending a ton of money getting new cabinets completely.

I second the others, I prefer the brushed chrome look for handles. Really though, get what you like for handles since they can easily be replaced down the road.

We haven''t had any issues with our cabinets, only that they dirty quickly because my husband doesn''t use the handles...LOL. If you shut the doors without using the handles they will get dirty quickly. We use very gentle luke-warm soapy water and a very gentle sponge to clean them. DO NOT USE A MAGIC ERASER on white cabinets. These work too well and take some of the finish off the paint. From the right angle I can see where I used the magic eraser...erg!

We also have granite counter tops and I still love the look. I second others that you shouldn''t get a finish that is overly ornate or sparkly. A simple black, white or grey style would be best. I also love the look of quartz and it doesn''t need to be sealed like granite.

Another look that is in are glass-front cabinets and open shelves. I wouldn''t do a whole kitchen with them, but a couple look pretty to display nice glassware or dishes. I don''t think it will go out of style anytime soon as long as you don''t do too many of them.

We have a tile that I don''t love for our backsplash mostly because we don''t think it matches with the granite counter tops. We are eventually going to replace it a more modern tile like glass in small pieces, but probably in a neutral color like white, grey, or soft green.

I''ll try to dig up some pictures of our kitchen. I don''t have any recent pics, just some old ones when we closed on it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some pictures from the mls from a long time ago. We want to also replace our handles to make them more modern like a long thin tall chrome handles.

kitchen_aedfsdfb.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock

hall_1b.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hope you don't mind me going on and on here! I found this picture online a while back and it was the inspiration for our future kitchen "update" (not really a re-model). It might be too modern for what you are looking for, but I thought I would post it since it has white shaker style cabinets and a cute backsplash. The designer was Candice Olson from divine design on HGTV (love her!).

divine26a_src730_h=268&w=400.jpg

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Janine, I just came across your post, I will have a detailed reply for you, I promise.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
HI,
I love white cabinets. Here is an example of white cabinets with nickel hardware.

IMG_8289.JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Same kitchen from afar...

IMG_8283.JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Now here is the same kitchen with dark bronze hardware, different granite also.

IMG_8212.JPG

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Another picture with the dark bronze hardware.

IMG_8207.JPG

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
penn: thanks, I can't wait!
emsmilep.gif

kcoursolle: please post away, I love inspiration shots! Your kitchen looks great, so much open space. The last shot is a great example of the cabinets, but yea, a bit modern overall for us. We have a traditional, old fashioned colonial in a conservative town. All the houses are tight, but hoping this expansion gives us some room in the back without changing the front or impacting the flow,etc. Oh and we are planning on 2 countertops with glass, probably on either side of the hood over the stove..you're right that they look great!

butterfly17: I love those shots! Are they from your kitchen or some other website? Really interesting comparing the same kitchen with different hardware. The 2nd photo is so simliar to our future kitchen's layout (with opening to family room) although we won't have the pillars (kind of like the look but we will have all windows leading to the backyard on the left side so no room (or need for a pillar). We also would have a sink in the island and a breakfast nook as an extension to the kitchen. Interesting how they have the stove top separate from the oven. Thanks so much for posting!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Janine!

I think the pillars actually hold the ceiling up? I am not sure, but here is an angle of the pillars looking out from the kitchen, towards the family room.

This is actually a home we are interested in purchasing, the builders had this model home for sale and also the one with the kitchen with the bronze hardware for sale as well. I absolutely love the floor plan of this house.

We love the white kitchen, absolutely love it and as soon as I saw it, I immediately fell in love with the house. I love the nickel hardware, to me, it just makes the white cabinets POP. The first kitchen had granite countertops that were a sort of gray-green with a very nonbusy color, but I don''t know what it is called. The island was a little bit more busier, but still in the greenish-brown color.
I have a picture of the butler''s pantry for the first kitchen and I was trying to post it but it keeps saying error, but you can really see the cabinet design and the nickel hardware much clearer.

IMG_8286.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, BEAUTIFUL kitchen! Hope you get the house
2.gif
Our house has random columns too. Must be a southern thing. Haha. I LOVE the island chairs. You should try to get them to throw those into the contract.
12.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the granite you choose, but I just wanted to say that I love oil-rubbed bronze hardware and think it is neutral enough to always be acceptable even after it is not the trend.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I totally forgot I promised you a photo. Here is the kitchen in our newest rehab. The granite is San Francisco Real. The backsplash is slate subway tiles.

hr1081041-2[1].jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Tacori--it looks great!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I have white cabinets too and love them. It just has such a fresh and clean look. my granite is called sahara dream, its a mixture of browns and it never looks dirty.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Just a bit of a status update for anyone interested (I''m currently consummed with this since it''s about to all be finalized). No money has been put down yet, but so far we are:

*going with first cabinet. I still like the Shaker but we got a better price on the first, and they are simliar enough. First cabinet also can hold a glaze. I''m still trying to educate myself on glazes, which ones are best and what desired effect is,etc. I''m a bit nervous that it could date the kitchen. We will have 2 glass doored cabinets on either side of oven range.

*we are decided on either Madura Gold (Light) or Kashmir Gold granite. We wanted something warm that would work with all the cabinetry (dark and white). Also realized we prefered granites with veins vs. blotches as it mimics marble more and with such a large space (big island), subtle might be better. I''ll try to attach a photo of the kashmir gold. The thing that''s daunting is each slab is different--so DH will have to go to the quarry and choose, poor him!

*still finalizing shade of white--who knew there were 4 shades between white and ivory?? I''m leaning towards just one shade down from white. The island will be a darker cherry..exact stain TBD.

*floors will be natural oak to match rest of the house.

*appliances-drawer microwave but regular DW. All appliances will be SS. Oven range is between DCS and Wolf. Wolf is a splurge so not sure at all about it, but the differential is not as much as I thought.

*I''m still leaning towards ORB hardware..I just like the way it pulls in the dark cabinet with the white. I can always switch it out if it goes out of style. One thing I''m not sure of--does it or should it match the sink? Because I don''t think we''d go with ORB sink/faucet-.

*pull out drawer features and backsplash - nothing on that yet, so still lots to figure out!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
here''s a photo of the kashmir gold granite

kashmir-granite.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results