shape
carat
color
clarity

New to this forum...need some help finding aquamarine stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Hi - I''m hoping you all can point me in the right direction. I have a pair of martini earring settings that will be empty soon when I upgrade my current diamond studs. I was hoping to put a pair of aquamarine stones in the settings after the upgrade. The earrings were a push present for my first child, and I''d like to reuse the original settings to make a pair of earrings that I can give her one day. She was a March baby, so aquamarines are her birth stone. The settings are made for 5-5.2mm stones (half carat each), so I''m hoping to find aquamarines in that size range. I know nothing about shopping for colored stones, so could you please advise who might have stones and what things I should look for when shopping for aquamarines? Thanks so much to everyone for your help!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're looking for a matching pair in a specific size, you may want to contact cutters directly, like Dan Stair (customgemstones.com), Barry Bridgstock (acstones.com), Gene Flannigan (precisiongem.com), Bob Kast, etc (there's a list at the top of this board of recommended vendors). They usually have a decent inventory of rough that they could cut for you, and might just have a pair sitting around that they never posted, you never know.

I would look for a color you like (ideally, the bluer the better, but I personally like the ones with a hint of green), a cut that sparkles, and no visible inclusions.

Did you have a specific budget in mind?

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/19/2009 9:59:03 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
If you''re looking for a matching pair in a specific size, you may want to contact cutters directly, like Dan Stair (customgemstones.com), Barry Bridgstock (acstones.com), Gene Flannigan (precisiongems.com), Bob Kast, etc (there''s a list at the top of this board of recommended vendors).

I would look for a color you like (ideally, the bluer the better, but I personally like the ones with a hint of green), a cut that sparkles, and no visible inclusions.

Did you have a specific budget in mind?

Thanks, I will check out those links. I really have no idea how much these would cost me. Is it unreasonable to want to get a pair for ~$100? And I do like the aquas that are a more vivid blue color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, with aquamarines, to get the more vivid blue colouring, you''ll have to go with stones that are very large. With 5 mm, you are probably not going to find vividly coloured aquamarines.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2009 10:20:30 AM
Author: Chrono
Unfortunately, with aquamarines, to get the more vivid blue colouring, you''ll have to go with stones that are very large. With 5 mm, you are probably not going to find vividly coloured aquamarines.

Yeah, they''ll probably be more of a sky or light blue. But if cut well, they''ll still have a lot of sparkle! I don''t think 100$ is unreasonable for a pair of sky blue 5.2mm aquamarines, but then again, I rarely buy aquas, so hopefully someone more experienced can chime in. Or you could just ask the cutters of course, haha.

Assuming you did find vivid blue aquamarine in that size, it would probably be much more expensive, just FYI.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should beable to find a pair of aquas that size for under 100$ at most stores/online stores. I know there is a sticky with a bunch of good oline stores on the forum. good luck!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do they have to be round? I''m asking because that shape won''t do stones any favours in terms of depth of color - very reflective cuts (like a brilliant cut) lighten the color. Maybe cushions wouldn''t be a bad idea, if it''s possible to set them into those earrings.

It''s also useful to know that aquamarines generally come in slightly greenish shades of blue, and that most of those "really blue ones" are heated to maximize the blue component and make the green tinge disappear. So if you''d like a more pure blue, the stones you''ll get will most likely be heat treated - nothing wrong with that, the treatment is safe and permanent, I''m saying it just for the sake of information.

I have to agree with what''s been said earlier, that custom cutting is probably your best option, cause a) aquas are rarely cut in these shapes, and b) they''re rarely cut so small. BTW, aquas are generally very clean, so it''s normal to expect perfectly clean stones. A hundred dollars doesen''t sound unreasonable for a nice pair of this size.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great idea to reuse the setting and make a family heirloom. I''d advise checking out the sites recommended on this board as well.

jill_s

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Chrono, Tropicgal10, ma re, and oddoneout for your responses! I will do a little research on the PS vendors and make some calls to see if anyone can cut 2 stones for me.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I might also throw out the idea of an antique pair of already made earrings. I know this doesn''t allow you to reuse the setting (maybe diamond when she turns 16???), but sometimes the antique ones are more interesting.

I have two March babies and was on an aqua hunt for a long time. Mr Ma Re and Chrono gave me some good advice. If you find my past post, there might be some helpful advice. Good luck and post pictures when you find your stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results