shape
carat
color
clarity

New to pearls-help please!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I have never been much of a pearl lover until I've been looking at all the beautiful ones on here. I have read many of the posts, looked at education articles, and poured over PP's website for hours- but am still somewhat confused. I'd like help and opinions with a project I am planning.

I am going to have a DBTY type earring made in rose gold at aproximately 2 to 2 and 1/2 inches long. 10 pt diamond on ear with 2 more 5 pt diamonds spaced out and then I want a gorgeous pearl on the end. What size pearl do you all think would work well? I don't want it so large that it looks like a boulder swinging in my hair, but sizeable enough to see? Would you use more of a baroque, organic shape? I'm thinking something with a slight rose overtone would look gorgeous with rose gold.

Alternatively I could make this in yellow gold with golden SS pearls... again- not sure of size? And the baroque/drop pearls in the goldens don't look like they have much luster in the pics on PPs site.

So- what would you all recommend?? I really want the pearls to practically glow with lustre!!!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sounds gorgeous, Pinkjewel. I am not familiar with it enough to make a specific suggestion, but just in case you haven't thought of it, I would look around online for similar earrings and compare the different sizes and maybe get some cheap costume pearls to try to get a better real life idea of it. After that, if it would be custom made non-returnable jewelry, I'd have them send me the specific pearls first so I could see them in person and then send them back to have the earrings made if I liked the pearls. I have read several times of people who had expensive earrings made and then were disappointed with the pearls when they saw them in person. Good luck!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked the rep at Pearl Paradise for help? More than likely they have made something custom for a customer in the past similar to what you are wanting to create. Most people ask for pictures, so I bet they have somthing they can show you from past projects that may help you make a decision.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
seaurchin|1353159376|3308658 said:
Sounds gorgeous, Pinkjewel. I am not familiar with it enough to make a specific suggestion, but just in case you haven't thought of it, I would look around online for similar earrings and compare the different sizes and maybe get some cheap costume pearls to try to get a better real life idea of it. After that, if it would be custom made non-returnable jewelry, I'd have them send me the specific pearls first so I could see them in person and then send them back to have the earrings made if I liked the pearls. I have read several times of people who had expensive earrings made and then were disappointed with the pearls when they saw them in person. Good luck!

thank you sea urchin- good ideas. I want them half drilled,too- which would also make them non returnable, so I really should see them in person I think.

I believe after looking at sizes 10mm would be the minimum- with 12 mm ideal. I've decided I also like the more baroque style- so I think maybe some drop SS pearls may be the way to go. It's just I want lots of luster,too!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1353240720|3309256 said:
Have you asked the rep at Pearl Paradise for help? More than likely they have made something custom for a customer in the past similar to what you are wanting to create. Most people ask for pictures, so I bet they have somthing they can show you from past projects that may help you make a decision.

thanks, NacreLover- I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. I kind of wanted to have a better idea of size and type of pearl I wanted, but I'm open for their opinions,too. I think baroque SS would be nice for this. Trying to remember the very lustrous ones you mentioned from the Ruckus- wonder if they might have some pairs of those pearls? Or maybe goldens with some yellow diamonds dbty style. Hmmmmmm...decisions, decisions

found a pic of similar idea to what I'm thinking. These are 12.6mm tahitians. I think the size looks good on these. What do you all think?

r4074a.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
4RanchGirl just got back from Pearl Paradise and her son took these photos when they were there to show me for shopping purposes. They have lots of pearl there that are not on the website. Here are Keshi, fireballs and baroques. Very metallic and lusterous.

pp10.jpg

pp14.jpg

pp15.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkjewel, your earring idea sounds great! I think 12mm would be a nice size for a pair of dressy dangly earrings.

NacreLover, oh my word! Those pairs in the first picture are incredible! :love: Did you buy any? How does a mere mortal gain access to these?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Call Pearl Paradise and ask for assistance. The top and middle photos are fire ball pairs the bottom 13-16mm keshi's. You may have to show them these photos so they know what you're talking about.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I can see these loose matched pairs as a custom tin cup necklace with matching dangle earrings.

syd

Shiny_Rock
Wow any more pictures from the vault?! I wish 4Ranchgirl was my personal pearl shopper too!!

I am in love with the first pink pair in the top picture. So pretty!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Syd I would love to be your personal shopper. I love spending other peoples money on pearls. :mrgreen: My son took over 20 pictures when I was there and sent them to NacreLover and I got to spend lots of her money :mrgreen: The fireballs in the top picture were unbelieveable :love: there were several pairs I would have loved to bring home with me.

syd

Shiny_Rock
Did you or Nacrelover have anything made with the fireballs? Do you have pictures of your purchases?

I think 4Ranchgirl, you might be the biggest enabler on this forum!!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
The fireballs are gorgeous. I agree that they would make a gorgeous tin cup necklace and earring set. I've called PP-so I'll see what they come up with. I think I need a personal shopper,too!!!!!

eta- do you remember ball park dollars on the fireball pairs?

syd

Shiny_Rock
Pinkjewel, I think those earrings would look stunning with white south sea pearls - round or oval and white gold. If you get tahitians, beware that if you are a brunette they will not be noticeable. If you're a blond, you'll be fine.

Those fireballs would I think look best as simple drop earrings without diamonds etc, imho.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
syd|1353351656|3310280 said:
Pinkjewel, I think those earrings would look stunning with white south sea pearls - round or oval and white gold. If you get tahitians, beware that if you are a brunette they will not be noticeable. If you're a blond, you'll be fine.

Those fireballs would I think look best as simple drop earrings without diamonds etc, imho.

I'm blond-but don't really want tahitians anyway. I'm also pretty set on either yellow or rose gold, so thinking champagne semi baroque drop SS pearls may be a good option,too. At PP, the girl that answered and said she could help was Kim- but I don't see any references to her and she didn't seem to know what I was talking about. Should I call back to talk with someone else? If so, who do you all recommend?

syd

Shiny_Rock

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
syd|1353353172|3310310 said:
I'm not sure if you're set on diamonds in the design. Here are some earrings on sale at druzydesign... I've purchased from this vendor before as have several forum members here and on the other forum.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GORGEOUS-SOLID-22K-GOLD-JAPAN-PINK-KASUMI-RUBY-PEARL-EARRINGS-AAA-BREATHTAKING-/380515927539?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item58988445f3

Japan Kasumi earrings are very expensive though, and you could probably get a similar look using bead nucleated pearls from China.

thanks, Syd!! I LOVE the pearls in that pair- I saw them yesterday when I was searching Kasumi pearls, but not really thrilled with the rubies- overall the earrings are a little more "fussy" than what I want. I have been looking at the Kasumi chinese look-a - likes as an option,too. I want the earrings to be versatile to wear with a lot of things-so need to be somewhat neutral.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Pinkjewel, I think you should put those fireballs on your dangly earrings. :love: Maybe ask for Chenai, she was helpful and knowledgable when I was ordering my strand of white metallics.

4RanchGirl and NacreLover, next time either one of you is planning a trip to PP, you have to let me know. I need an in to the good stuff!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks, Jane. I never heard back from Kim today. I called right when they opened and she was supposed to send pictures this afternoon- but I didn't get any. :(
I'll call and ask for Chenai tomorrow and see if I can get better help. If not, I'll go to another vendor. I'm sure someone would be happy to take my money...

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
OK- disregard last comment- I got the pics tonight! Now just need to decide which ones I want. =)

syd

Shiny_Rock
Post them!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
syd|1353375311|3310615 said:
Post them!

OK- here you go. What do you all think? I'm wondering if they're too large for earrings as all except the top pair are slightly over 16mm. They would make a pretty tincup necklace,though...

11-19-12a.jpg

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first two pairs the best. 16mm is pretty big but I would wear them. The question is, how do you feel about big earrings? Are they going to be a special occasion or going out to dinner piece, or more everyday dressy?
If you feel comfortable sharing, how much are those fireballs?

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1353376976|3310641 said:
syd|1353375311|3310615 said:
Post them!

OK- here you go. What do you all think? I'm wondering if they're too large for earrings as all except the top pair are slightly over 16mm. They would make a pretty tincup necklace,though...
NacreLover has very large (I think Inception pearls) earrings. My white ss are 16 mm and I adore them. When I saw these pairs at PP I though they would make really beautiful earrings. You can't go wrong chooseing any of them.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
JaneSmith|1353361333|3310416 said:
Pinkjewel, I think you should put those fireballs on your dangly earrings. :love: Maybe ask for Chenai, she was helpful and knowledgable when I was ordering my strand of white metallics.

4RanchGirl and NacreLover, next time either one of you is planning a trip to PP, you have to let me know. I need an in to the good stuff!
Jane I will be going again in the next few weeks. I am just waiting for something special to arrive for me to see that I want desperatly.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1353383598|3310737 said:

Jane I will be going again in the next few weeks. I am just waiting for something special to arrive for me to see that I want desperatly.

Cool. If I'm not happy with my latest purchase I'll let you be my eyes to help pick out some good stuff!

Sorry for the thread jack Pinkjewel!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
syd|1353350551|3310255 said:
Did you or Nacrelover have anything made with the fireballs? Do you have pictures of your purchases?

I think 4Ranchgirl, you might be the biggest enabler on this forum!!

Syd, I made something myself using the fireballs and keshi I got from Pearl paradise. I tore up a strand of fireballs and the soft molar shaped keshi from Pearl Paradise, added 14k beads, roundels and small freshwater pearls . I had left over keshi so I made two bracelets with the beads and pearls on stretchy cord elastic.

dscf9427.jpg

dscf9433.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Jeremy made me this inception pearl tin cup and earrings for my birthday this year. He used colorful natural color inception "pearl in a pearl" freshwaters. They are quite large but they are beautiful when worn.

inception.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1353356130|3310348 said:
syd|1353353172|3310310 said:
I'm not sure if you're set on diamonds in the design. Here are some earrings on sale at druzydesign... I've purchased from this vendor before as have several forum members here and on the other forum.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GORGEOUS-SOLID-22K-GOLD-JAPAN-PINK-KASUMI-RUBY-PEARL-EARRINGS-AAA-BREATHTAKING-/380515927539?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item58988445f3

Japan Kasumi earrings are very expensive though, and you could probably get a similar look using bead nucleated pearls from China.

thanks, Syd!! I LOVE the pearls in that pair- I saw them yesterday when I was searching Kasumi pearls, but not really thrilled with the rubies- overall the earrings are a little more "fussy" than what I want. I have been looking at the Kasumi chinese look-a - likes as an option,too. I want the earrings to be versatile to wear with a lot of things-so need to be somewhat neutral.

Pinkjewel, call Sarah at Kojima pearl, she has the Japanese Kasumi and chinese lookalikes.
Center are the Japanese with the Chinese on either side.

_1952.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith|1353385411|3310749 said:
4Ranch Girl|1353383598|3310737 said:

Cool. If I'm not happy with my latest purchase I'll let you be my eyes to help pick out some good stuff!

Sorry for the thread jack Pinkjewel!

No problem!! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results