shape
carat
color
clarity

New to Collecting: Interested in Peridots and Aquamarines

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have really gotten interested in collecting gems in the last year and have been tacitly reading about them, in particular, about stones that are from Pakistan (which is where I am originally from). As a natural inclination, peridots caught my eye, as have aquamarines. I understand well that the peridots from PK are some the of best in the business, but it seems the aquamarines are lacking since they lack the bluish color, and usually are whitish...

Anyhow, I have come across contacts back home that are willing to deal with me for even small quantities. The problem though is I really do not know much of how the market for loose gems works. I have negotiated a $2.5/carat deal for cut peridots between 2-4 carats, VVS, from a lot of cut stones, the picture of which is attached. I think the color of these is great quality, at least from the pictures (which might not do justice).

Is this a decent deal? I talked to other people who were quoting much higher prices, but those were for FL stones (these were prices ranging from $30-$100/carat)

I am just interested in getting a collection going. I do not intend to set anything in jewelry anytime soon. Maybe 5 yrs down the line, when Im married. Currently, just interested in understanding how the market is.

Please say anything about the price or anything that comes to your mind! Very interested in thoughts/ideas/suggestions

Thanks!!!

vanterminator

Rough_Rock
The pic is attached now...

pakistaniper.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to purchase individual stones rather than lots as you can end up with really cruddy stones in the mix. I cannot tell much from the picture but they look like some decent peridots mixed in with some very lightly saturated ones. How is the general cutting of the stones? You do not want to end up with a bunch of badly windowed see through stones either as peridots are generally inexpensive and easy to procure, even if you have no intention to set them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results