shape
carat
color
clarity

New style Cuts versus traditional Rounds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rotchi

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am currently at a cross roads. I have found two awesome diamonds. One of them is a 1.74 I-VS-2, Depth=61.4%, Table=57%, polish and symmetry are both very good. Hearts and arrows round. Beautiful stone that I am getting from a wholesaler. GIA certified.

The other diamond is a 1.77 GIA certified I-VS-1 Ideal cut, and then, this jeweler guy re-cuts the diamond into a new round that has a larger bezel facet, and larger star facet, and again ideal cut. The diamond looks beautiful, it has more color than any diamond I have looked at. But, it is not an established cut.

What should I do? The new stone is cut in my home town, and the H&A is in New York, where I am currently located. ALso the wholesale diamond is 4 grand cheaper.
Help?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gee that is hard - no wonder no-one has commented yet.

When you are here with us geeks - just because a diamond has those GIA #''s and is H&A''s des not mean it is stellar performer. Granted it must be much better than average - but without ideal-scope images or crwon and pavilion data we cant really cmment.

as for the new cut - it sounds odd - you can take an existing stone and add more smaller facets - lke the Bluefire - but to make the existing facets bigger? tell us more? Can you get ideal-scope images on any of them? What if the base stone before recut is not great? Can you get a Sarin 3D DiaVision scan (.srn file) and email it to me - then I can perform an analysis for free. PM me for email address.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
With all the many diamonds out there I wonder why you would want to go through the trouble of having a diamond recut. You won''t be able to see the finished product & frankly I wouldn''t buy a diamond without seeing how it looks first. I would stick with the first, depending of course on the HCA score.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever they did to that stone, if now it is H&A or close with great light return, that I''d call it a nice deal = quality without the brand
12.gif

About recutting: it happens. The Eight Star company offers the service and you will find PS posts about why and how this kind of service is used.

If they claim the stone is now "ideal" it''s not too hard to prove: H&A viewers and Ideal Scopes are cheap and you can also call in an appraiser''s wisedom to decide what exactly that diamond can do. Given that ''rebate'' the cost of an appraisal would not tip the balance, IMO
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If the price were similar I''d say go with the one that makes your eyes pop more (and it sounds like that''s the newer cut). For $4K, though, and for a stone that''s of comparable size, I''d go with the H&A.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results