shape
carat
color
clarity

New spinel

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought about putting a color in the title, but it's a moody/mysterious stone and I can't quite put my finger on it.

1.18ct
6.3mm
Barry Bridgestock
Spinel
Blue/gray/lavender/purple/violet (None of which I captured very well)

Purchased secondhand.
1.18%20lav%20spinel.jpg

IMG_1064 freke.jpg

IMG_1067 freke.jpg

IMG_1069 freke.jpg

IMG_1072 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More

IMG_1075 freke.jpg

IMG_1082 freke.jpg

IMG_1078 freke.JPG

IMG_1086 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And more...

IMG_1088 freke.jpg

IMG_1092 freke.jpg

IMG_1094 freke.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Frekein' gorgeous!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It kind of comes in handy that almost all of my blue (and related colors) spinels are from Barry and are round. Makes them very easy to compare!

It is probably most similar in color to my ering spinel, which is always a lovely surprise (I wasn't expecting that!) but it's still very different at the same time. My ering spinel glows an amethyst purple under fluorescent light and this one doesn't do that.

So here I am. Descriptor-less.

IMG_1098 freke.jpg

IMG_1096 freke.jpg

IMG_1102 freke.jpg

IMG_1099 freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
My apologies for how disgustingly grimy my ering stone is. The stone is almost completely covered in metal and it's very very very hard to clean-believe it or not, it was not cleaned long ago. Which is rather sad, seeing pictures--especially next to an almost identical stone.

So, you may not be surprised to learn that I am considering a reset--into something that would allow me to clean it occasionally!

ETA: the gray one is not much better--but it has not been cleaned in some time!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke is that the one that was in BB's drop fairly recently? It's very pretty. I love the cutting and the colour play on the facets.

I think that's a blue with violet and purple - does that about sum it up!? It's interesting that it doesn't go purple in incandescent lighting isn't it like your e-ring?

What are your plans for it?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it Freke! In 1092 and 1088 it really resembles mine! I like the color of it when it's dark blue too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1295729413|2829921 said:
Freke is that the one that was in BB's drop fairly recently? It's very pretty. I love the cutting and the colour play on the facets.

I think that's a blue with violet and purple - does that about sum it up!? It's interesting that it doesn't go purple in incandescent lighting isn't it like your e-ring?

What are your plans for it?

I'm not sure when she bought it but I think it was quite a while ago. I know it wasn't within the past few drops.

It goes purple, but not that bright purple you'd see from a medium toned amethyst--which is what my ering does. More of a subdued violet...

As for what I'll do...no idea. As usual!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke:

Well done! I believe I saw that posted for sale on another website and thought about getting it. You know, you just can't go wrong with Barry's cutting. On my monitor, it looks very similar in color to your engagement ring spinel

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like the blue spinel a lot. These stones are so sparkly(when cleaned), they are becoming one of my favorites as well. Your blues are great.

Annette

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild-Believe it or not, I never saw any of your blues! I haven't been hanging around in Colored Stones for several years but now I am again. You have a simply astounding collection! I know you have been married for a year, so you must have had the engagement stone for a while. When did you start collecting the blue stones? Are all your stones spinel or do you hae iolite, sapphires, tanzanite, etcetera?

Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke,
Very pretty, love your photos, as always.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure what to do with this one, but it should be an interesting setting choice...I have a whole bunch of other stones that I want to get set first (I counted and I have 19 projects to work towards!) so it'll be a while yet.

Deb! I miss you lady! I saw your news in the other thread, and I so badly want to give you a hug! Much love outgoing your direction! And I have a ton of blue spinels. One of the projects I'm working on is a 4 stone blue spinel necklace--two lighter grayish blue ovals, a dark blue oval and a bigger dark blue Barry round--my first blue spinel necklace if you can imagine that! I'm so happy to see you around these parts and I hope you stick around!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1295820227|2830733 said:
One of the projects I'm working on is a 4 stone blue spinel necklace--two lighter grayish blue ovals, a dark blue oval and a bigger dark blue Barry round--my first blue spinel necklace if you can imagine that! I'm so happy to see you around these parts and I hope you stick around!

FrekeChild-That sounds wonderful!!! I am so glad that I am here in Colored Stones now so that I will get to see you carry it out! I can't wait for you to get started!

Hugs,
Deb
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice stone..it has all the colors of a lavender flower...a bit of pale purple, gray, pale blue gray, and some flashes of darker royal blue to keep you looking closer.

Laura

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely photos, I look forward to seeing your necklace, you have many beautiful blues it'll be lovely to set some of them together.

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your new stone! And that photo of your lovely collection is quite something. Love how they complement each other!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty! I'm hoping to get my hands on one of Barry's spinels.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with this stone and I'm coming up blank. As you can see, I already have a number of blue spinels, and they have been set various ways...so yeah! No idea what to do with it right now! Please feel free to share if you have any ideas!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm..maybe a 3 stone ring?

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing this, I think I *really* need to start paying attention more to Barry's drops and possibly get me a blue spinel for my engagement stone :love:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously Frekechild, I just read all of the "Big Blue debuts..." thread. I think you've created a monster with that pic of all your spinels!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1296265998|2836240 said:
Seriously Frekechild, I just read all of the "Big Blue debuts..." thread. I think you've created a monster with that pic of all your spinels!
Lol! It's addicting, just a warning!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1296019990|2833288 said:
Hmm..maybe a 3 stone ring?
So I kind of laughed when I saw this...and then I picked a three stone setting.

varna ring diamonds.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
YAY....I can't wait to see this one!!!!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't go wrong with a Barry faceted blue spinel; looks to show a lot of luster and lovely bright flashes. I agree that Big Blue (is your e-ring Big Blue?) deserves a reset as I believe blue spinels are best set in open settings to allow maximum light play.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Frekechild, love that setting, you find the coolest things. ;-)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such an interesting change of colors

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1296740608|2841751 said:
Can't go wrong with a Barry faceted blue spinel; looks to show a lot of luster and lovely bright flashes. I agree that Big Blue (is your e-ring Big Blue?) deserves a reset as I believe blue spinels are best set in open settings to allow maximum light play.
I agree! Big Blue is the engraved setting--I think that setting is ok for it, although I never wear it because something about the prongs bothers me.

Now my ering (the handmade 6 prong setting w/ HUGE prongs) is just covering up too much. I've already gotten a quote to make a new setting for it, it'll just take the time to save up for it. In the meantime I'm probably going to use this ring as a stunt double. I should get it back in a month or so. Set in silver so as to not totally break the bank. ETA: Sorry that pic is kind of blurry...

IMG_6181 freke2.jpg

IMG_4916 freke.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results