shape
carat
color
clarity

New Ruby Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

satine112

Rough_Rock
I ordered a ring from LOGR and it came today.

It is a ruby ring in white gold with diamond halo, as you can see. i got it for $255. In the auction, it states that it is treated by "routine enhancement" (my fault for not asking more questions and just assuming that it was only heat enhanced) and these other stats:

Main Stone: Ruby
Carat Weight: 3.06ct 7X9 mm
Cut: Oval
Clarity: AA
Color: Burma Pigeon blood, top quality

Anyways, i received it today, it's very pretty (the diamonds are MUCH smaller than i expected) but overall a nice, pretty delicate ring. I then looked at the ruby and it seemed too nice, so i emailed and asked what "routine enhancement" means. They wrote back and said "by filling".

i know that this is not ideal. didn't say what kind of filling, but does it matter??

so - my questions:

1) is it a good price for a ruby/diamond ring where the stone is filled??? (now i question the diamonds too actually..)
2) should i keep or return?
3) does being filled affect the durability of the stone? should i be EXTRA careful with it now??

that being said, super fast shipping and nice people. just wish i asked more q's first.

eta: the photo shows more of a raspberry color, but irl it's very red, like a cherry popsicle. very pretty.

ruby ring 003.jpg

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
To be honest.... I love it... I''m huge ruby fan... I don''t care if it''s treated, filled, whatever.... as long as it ain''t LAB CREATED.....

I think it is a great buy and very prettyyyyyyyyy

satine112

Rough_Rock
:) thanks. i''ve only had a few hours and people already notice and compliment it. irl the red is just gorgeous.

is a filled ruby as durable as a non-filled one?

BleedingGem

Rough_Rock
It is a REAL ruby... just filled to take out some of the inclusions........

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
From what I''ve read, it is just as durable and you shouldn''t need to take special care. I wouldn''t put it in an ultrasonic, but I also wouldn''t put most colored stones in an ultrasonic cleaner. I think its beautiful and a fair price as well. Congratulations, I love seeing rubies on PS. If you like it, you should keep it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert but I''m pretty sure that if this stone would be heated only and have a nice red color, decent transparency and a size of 9x7, it''s price would fall in a four figure range easily (just for the stone) like this one:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/ruby/rb6065aa/&930512007

But it''s a nice piece of jewellery, you got a gold ring with diamonds for under 300$, so you really can''t expect much more. Just enjoy it
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Approximately 90% of rubies on the market are heated and/or glass/lead filled. Basically you take a Ruby that has many inclusions and fill them with a substance. The amount of filling can vary from minimal to a lot. Unfortunately filled Rubies are very cheap - using a very generalised benchmark of around $20 per carat. You will find on this forum that the majority of posters won''t buy filled Rubies because we are (generally speaking) purists and like our gemstones as nature intended! However, that means that if we''re going to buy a Ruby we need to have deep pockets also!
9.gif

For the price you''ve paid, you''ve got a diamond setting that most people would pay $255 for anyway! So you''re not losing anything. The diamonds WILL be real diamonds but they''re probably not a high colour or clarity.

You''ve got a pretty ring for the money you''ve paid and it''s worth what you''ve paid so if I were you, I''d just enjoy it.

Just for your information, if you buy a semi mount from LOGR (which a lot of us do) it''s worth upgrading the diamonds because you do see a difference. Do a search for LOGR and have a look at the settings that we''ve all bought. It will give you an idea of what you can get.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hallo, good price, nothing to complain.

Lead glass filled rubies are however less durable than heat-only rubies and those again weaker than untreated rubies; and yes, they do need special care.

Lead glass filled rubies tend to chip or brake while being worked on if the goldsmith doesn''t know they are more sensitive.

But: Since it is already set you won''t have a problem with that unless you free-climb or surf with it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes - thanks Ed you''ve reminded me of something else!

If you do need any work doing to your ring/Ruby you MUST tell the jeweller it''s filled otherwise they could put it in an acid bath and, errrrrr, well, the result may be a very strange Ruby full of holes. Eugh!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
That is very pretty. Enjoy your ring; you got what you paid for. I agree that the setting alone appears worth more than what you paid for the whole ring.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3ct+, heat only rubies of good colour are crazy expensive - as in, many, many times more expensive. In my mind, routine enhancement for ruby is lead filling (unfortunately, as I am a bit of a purist).

If you need to repair the ring, let the jeweler know it is filled, as the acid commonly used can etch the filling.

And, as others have said, you paid a good price for it. It is very pretty, so enjoy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most likely, your ruby has been lead glass filled, based on the price. Glass filled rubies are very inexpensive so the price you paid is basically just for the setting. I believe the diamonds he uses are real and unless upgraded, just of lower colour and clarity, although unfilled/untampered with. My opinion is that glass filled rubies aren’t as durable as an untreated or only heated ruby, so you do need to take extra care. Treatment should also be disclosed to the jeweller if you need to bring it in for any work.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty ring! I think the setting and diamonds alone are worth the price you paid so I''d wear it proudly.
1.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not a ruby type of woman, but think that the ring is very pretty. MHO is that you got what you paid for.

Few nights ago I was looking at the jewelery channel, and appalled by what they were selling and for how much (My mom and I watched while we''re on the phone lol...). They had filled rubies going for a much more than your whole ring, and they didn''t look even close to as nice as what you have on your hand.

-A

satine112

Rough_Rock
thanks guys. the diamonds were already a decent quality, so i didn''t bother to upgrade them.

Carat Weight: 0.32 ct
Cut: Round
Clarity: SI1-SI2
Color: H

Don''t want anything nicer than my e-ring, right? lol

is lead filling dangerous for the body, considering it''s lead?? i will not put this in my ultrasonic, it seems only my diamonds have been able to have that pleasure. i''ll take extra care of this guy, in the hopes to keep it nice.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2010 10:19:11 AM
Author: satine112
thanks guys. the diamonds were already a decent quality, so i didn''t bother to upgrade them.

Carat Weight: 0.32 ct
Cut: Round
Clarity: SI1-SI2
Color: H

Don''t want anything nicer than my e-ring, right? lol

is lead filling dangerous for the body, considering it''s lead?? i will not put this in my ultrasonic, it seems only my diamonds have been able to have that pleasure. i''ll take extra care of this guy, in the hopes to keep it nice.
The "lead filling" is really "lead glass filling", not that there is pure lead in the ruby. The quantities are miniscule and it is within the glass, not hanging free. I wouldn''t worry about this at all.

satine112

Rough_Rock
lol thanks! i''m wearing my ring today and very much enjoying it. it''s very pretty and delicate. (much like me!) hahaha

i can''t wait for my rose & white gold double halo setting to get here. now i just need to find a stone for it! ;-)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a word of caution, I know that LOGR say that the diamonds are SI and H etc., but in my experience not all of his measure up that way. If you upgrade you''ll most definitely get very nice diamonds. I sent a ring back with a double halo (about a year ago) because the diamonds were dreadful. Really awful. Those were supposed to be SI and H also. It''s a bit of a lottery if you just get his standard settings. Some are great, some aren''t and you never know which you''ll get. If you upgrade they are usually all ok. Just wanted to mention it in case you''re colour/clarity sensitive.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ruby is gorgeous! Love the setting too.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Verrrry nice!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Your ring is lovely. The color is great. Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results