shape
carat
color
clarity

new puppy

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Please help! I have two chihuahuas age 5.5 male and 4.5 female. Today I got an 8 week old puppy female. My two older chihuahuas are fixed. We got the puppy home and she just wants to play with the older two but the female is afraid of her and the male has growled and snapped at her. Chased her away when she tried to sniff him. I have her now in a puppy pen and she's sleeping in her crate with the door open. This way the older two can see she's here but can't get to her.

Give me some advice to make this okay for my existing dogs and the puppy please!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a dog whisperer, but if you think the male is growling and snapping at her, maybe he is territorial? I'd take the puppy and the male somewhere on neutral ground (not his house or yard) and see how he reacts to her when he isn't guarding his territory. How was he when you brought your other female into the home? Did he do the same thing?

As for the frightened female, I would just not force interaction. See if she warms up a bit.

Keep us posted. And let us see a photo of your pups!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 chihuahuas? The only time I’ve ever seen that somewhat work out is when all of them were crated separately. Idk if this was the best choice for you, and I’m sorry to say that. Don’t mean to make you feel bad.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Please help! I have two chihuahuas age 5.5 male and 4.5 female. Today I got an 8 week old puppy female. My two older chihuahuas are fixed. We got the puppy home and she just wants to play with the older two but the female is afraid of her and the male has growled and snapped at her. Chased her away when she tried to sniff him. I have her now in a puppy pen and she's sleeping in her crate with the door open. This way the older two can see she's here but can't get to her.

Give me some advice to make this okay for my existing dogs and the puppy please!
Today! you said it.
It's the same with any animal, even with cats.
Just give it time, they'll come around and warm up to one another. It might take a day or two or a week or two, no rush.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I don’t know anything about dogs, but with cats it can easily take weeks for them to get fully used to each other. The first two-three days you mostly see scared hissing.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think one trick is to make the older dogs associate the puppy with good things. For example, bring the dogs near the crate, gush over the puppy and them, telling them what good dogs they are and give them a treat. You might want to consult an animal behaviorist to get more advice. Their expertise can be priceless.

Edited to add that I am excited for you to have a new addition to the family. :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's it going with the puppy?

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
How's it going with the puppy?

Working at starting to crate train her, we have not mixed her in with my male again but my female can be with her, my female will just avoid her when she wants. We have her puppy appt with the vet tomorrow and we will discuss all of this with him then.

My male will go up to her puppy enclosure and wag his tail and sniff her, I have given him treats when he does that calmly which has been every time. After a treat today though I was praising him and I was going to pick him up to love on him and was picking him up from behind and I think I surprised him, he growled but did not turn around to snap at me or anything. So I think he's getting used to things. I am looking into a trainer for him and will discuss with the vet tomorrow as well.

Thank you for thinking of us!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it sounds like you are making progress. His growling at you but not snapping doesn't really worry me though. It just tells you not to do that, I think. The fact that he goes up to her enclosure and wags and sniffs, is something I'd take as a good sign. He probably just needs to get used to her. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
growing pains basically. I just got another and while they get along theres growling and some power moves but its been a couple of days. For now these 2 wear muzzles when outside playing as they both play very hard and the skin is too thin. I think they'll be able to play without eventually (Gigi and Lucky were able to without any issues) Ultimately how they interact and who gets what place is my decision. I did it with Lucky and Gigi, so will do so with Gigi and Ivy.

I couldn't have chi's because I can't have that kind of crazy...lol If your female has started to accept the puppy the male might also but give it plenty of time. they may not be best friends but should be able to coexist. but be careful that there's no resource guarding of you by any of them.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
growing pains basically. I just got another and while they get along theres growling and some power moves but its been a couple of days. For now these 2 wear muzzles when outside playing as they both play very hard and the skin is too thin. I think they'll be able to play without eventually (Gigi and Lucky were able to without any issues) Ultimately how they interact and who gets what place is my decision. I did it with Lucky and Gigi, so will do so with Gigi and Ivy.

I couldn't have chi's because I can't have that kind of crazy...lol If your female has started to accept the puppy the male might also but give it plenty of time. they may not be best friends but should be able to coexist. but be careful that there's no resource guarding of you by any of them.

I think my male has some resource guarding behaviors. We started an in home training program this week so we have a dog trainer coming out to work with us.

My male is doing the commands great but you can tell all this is a big change for him. Getting the new puppy and starting to go through some actual training.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results