shape
carat
color
clarity

new or used diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

freddy2005

Rough_Rock
sorry for too many questions:

how do i know for sure(beside trusting a PS vendor) that the stone im buying is actually brand new and not used?

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Who cares.It is a diamond! hahahaha as long as it is not chipped. They don't wear out like cars. Ask the vender.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds, for the most part, are very durable. I don''t think you would know a"used" stone from a new one, nor should it matter. I am sure that vendors sell stones that have been worn before. I don''t think you would know the difference. That''s why they say "Diamonds are Forever."

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, one sure way is to buy one with a recent certification!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 6:09:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, really that only means that the stone was recently sent for grading. I could send my mother''s RB to GIA or AGS and get a grading report that is dated 2006
2.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Kimberly and Rascal are correct - New vs. Used is frequently in the eye of the cert reader! Remember most diamonds are 2-3 Billion years old and a few more years after cutting doesn't mean a whole lot. You need a new cert - you can easily get one!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 3:27:37 PM
Author:freddy2005

how do i know for sure(beside trusting a PS vendor) that the stone im buying is actually brand new and not used?

As long as the diamond isn''t damaged, it shouldn''t make any difference. Diamonds don''t age.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 3:27:37 PM
Author:freddy2005

I know ... I know!!!

You can tell when you look at the bill. There will be a charge for $373.00!

You will need a magnifying glass to read it, but at the very, very bottom in very fine print it will state:

$ 50.00 = Fresh cleansing bath with holy water from last Sundays service, spiked with Sage & Lavender.
$ 25.00 = donation to the Choir for singing during ceremony.
$ 25.00 = donation to the women''s help thy neighbor fund for the organist.
$ 23.00 = Dry cleaning bill for the parishioners robe for the ceremony.
$100.00 = Spiritual prayer to chase all bad demons & memories away from previous cave-woman owner.
$150.00 = New certification date for diamond

I am being really, really bad ...
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif
I just couldn''t resist!
12.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
recycled diamonds happen everyday.

Allium

Rough_Rock
There''s no way to know that a diamond you buy was not previously owned so why worry about it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2006 6:16:18 PM
Author: Rascal49

Date: 2/24/2006 6:09:22 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, really that only means that the stone was recently sent for grading. I could send my mother''s RB to GIA or AGS and get a grading report that is dated 2006
2.gif
I think that is ture, of course, but most jewelers aren''t likely going to routinely pay for a new cert on a stone that already has one. I see certs a few years old on these sites all the time. And I always wonder, is it a trade-in?

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Freddy,

Sorry for being really bad earlier!
38.gif
I put myself in time-out, and now I am much better. Sometimes I try to be funny .. and it wasn''t to appropriate ... so to answer your question.

I think if the thought of a diamond having a previous owner might bother you, I think I would just explain this to the trusted PS vendor, and see what they have to say. I think they probably would know if someone did an upgrade and traded in their diamond for a bigger one.

I think the only time a vendor would submit the diamond for a new cert would be it when it did come back for a trade in, if the diamond had some surface scatches on it, and needed some minor buffing etc... then they would turn it in for a re-cert, and then I do believe that a charge is deducted from the trade in. (I could be wrong though!)

I have a dear friend, who was worried about re-using a diamond from a failed marraige. She would loose dearly if she tried to resell it ... and she did want a pinky type ring ... so she came to terms that she would host a "cleansing" party! I am not kidding, Incense & prayers for healing and chasing away the bad karma that was associated with the diamond ... and now she says that she can tell a difference of how much brighter the diamond is! (To each their own) I just think the diamond myself needed cleaning, and that''s the reason it probably looks whiter & brighter, but hey ... I am not gonna mess with that conversation!

Hope you have a super day!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results