which necklace to wear on my wedding day

• Option number 1

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Option number 2

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
my FMIL has started from scratch sending me pictures again to choose my bridal jewellery and i think maybe she will keep going back to the drawing board until i say OMG THAT ONE I HAVE TO HAVE IT ITS AMAZING. which is not really my style so help me choose between 2 more pictures and which ever wins i will try my acting skills to convince my FMIL that the search ends here! :appl: :appl: :appl:

my partner is close to exploding if we don't end this soon as he has to translate and mediate the whole process

option_1.jpeg

option_2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You want to trade MILs? I'm ready!! Be at your doorstep in a nanosecond, just say the word!!

They are both beautiful. I can't imagine needing acting skills to go nuts over either one. I vote for #2 because I love emeralds much more than rubies. Also like the style better -- it's more unusual.

Depends on how it would look on you, though. Like clothing, some jewelry works better on one person than another.

If these aren't up your alley, have you described to her what you do like? Pointing her in the right direction might ease the difficulty. But I'll be happy to take that emerald collar off your hands -- I'm a really helpful friend! :cheeky: :cheeky:

--- Laurie

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am stepping into this late (as I sense there is a backstory). What does the neckline of your dress look like (i.e. how low is it)? The ruby necklace looks like it is longer than the emerald, and I wouldn't want the necklace hanging on top of the neckline, so that would likely impact my decision. Both are lovely, though personally, I prefer emeralds. :bigsmile:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
backstory: we're all in Aus. I'm white and my partner is indian. we're having a tradition wedding in india in august and then australia in october. i prefer simple and classic, but indian culture dictates a big display of wealth at a wedding so my FMIL wants to deck me out as blingy as possible. I might sound like im complaining but I'm ecstatic to see the finished pieces and very grateful for the expense they are going to. however this process started 6 months ago and as soon as i pick something she starts sending my photos again. no info, no backstory just pictures and as we don't speak the same language its getting frustrating for everyone involved.

in terms of neckline i will be wearing a sari and necklines don't seem to be relavant. as long as you are dripping in gold and diamonds. :razz:

everything her jeweller has made so far has had stones that can be switched out and usually comes with other colors. of course its india so the gold and diamonds are real but the colored stones are all synthetic

thanks for your help!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked #1 because it looks less busy than #2. It isn't as wide and intricate. Do you have pictures of the earrings for #2?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's fascinating, that the colored stones are synthetic -- makes sense; genuine ones would probably double or triple the price. Yum, to have all those gorgeous diamonds & gold. Do people actually buy them or rent them for the celebration? Renting, I assume, wouldn't work, the jeweler would have to send 10 guards along. :sun:

I can understand your headache with the language barrier. Had the same with my MIL & DH was not an especially patient translator. It will get better -- you develop a way of communicating somehow, even if you never learn each other's language. It's a language of your own, in a way.

Exciting event! Will you get those beautiful henna designs? Oh, sari fabric is tdf!

When you choose your jewels, will you PLEASE put up a photo? Would love to see! Wedding pics very welcome too -- with your sari!!!

--- Laurie

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I pick the first one. The second is just too much.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oddly, i like #2....despite my love of orange.

why? i think you might actually wear it again........

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi-

I did read your other thread although I didn't post in it. I do not remember why you chose white gold instead of yellow. Since I love yellow gold and would prefer to see your jewelry in yellow, I have to say that first! If it must be in white, I prefer the first set...for its grace and symmetry. Everything you have posted in both threads has made me envious in the extreme. How can you go wrong dripping in gold? :lickout:

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for your input everyone! I liked number 1 myself i thought my FMIL might like the bigger showier number 2. ill see what sh thinks and if she likes both i will go with number 1

AGBF: i love the traditional pieces in high karat yellow gold, they're stunning, but i really dislike 2 tone metal. probably from the cheap plated stuff i had when young where the gold wore off. just not a fan. and it would turn out looking 2 tone with all the diamonds. i suggested to my FMIL that the traditional gold pieces would be fabulous with or without colored stones but she said it had to have diamonds so i said it had to white gold :razz: there will be a belt i have to wear to and i said ok to yellow gold around the back because she kept saying with yellow gold we can melt it and reuse it

Jewelfreak: they actually gave me a set when i first met them as an engagement present that i assumed had sapphires, citrines aqaumarines etc. and was shocked to find they were all synthetic when i had it valued for insurance. but then i was told that this is very standard procedure in india. so bear that in mind if buying from india!
also my partner and i were originally quite upset because there was talk of them selling a house to buy all this jewellery and i suggested surely we can rent or borrow but i was told even mentioning it would be offensive because its a deeply cultural thing. not just a display of wealth but giving the married couple gold and diamonds to set them up and get them started for married life.

here is the belt so far, you have to imagine it with diamonds all over and i think bigger colored stones.

and this is the 2 tone engagement set i have already

img-20130226-wa0014__1_.jpg

img_736.jpg

img_0900.jpg

img_0913.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like the flower motif in the second one but I think I would go for the first one. It seems as though it would wear better.

I would also ask that the center motif be removable (to be worn as a pendant on less grand occasions) as well as the three center diamond drops (everyday pendant and earrings :lickout:). Maybe the top row of diamonds could be worn alone as a riviere as well, if the second row is used as the structural support and the top be just ornamental?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: with amazement at all your gorgeous pieces!!!!! I love your engagement jewelry set. I vote for #1 as well, though it seems as if you have made up your mind. I see #1 as being something you could potentially wear again for a really fancy night out, whereas #2 would be slightly more OTT.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1363833073|3410054 said:
I really like the flower motif in the second one but I think I would go for the first one. It seems as though it would wear better.

I would also ask that the center motif be removable (to be worn as a pendant on less grand occasions) as well as the three center diamond drops (everyday pendant and earrings :lickout:). Maybe the top row of diamonds could be worn alone as a riviere as well, if the second row is used as the structural support and the top be just ornamental?

I like this idea too if it can be removable. It makes the piece more practical in that you can wear it again for special occasions Down Under.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I can say is WOW.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Double wow!!!

Love the ruby option. Incredible.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I just say Triple WOW!!! :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Yummy gumdrop jewels.

Wear them in health!

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 1. It has more empty space and the disign has larger elements so from a distance it will have more impact vs the second. The second one from a feq feet away will just seem like a diamond bib.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I go for number 1. It looks stunning! Not that you'll get much use from it, it all ends up sitting in a bank safe in my household. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's very hard to find any real stones in India, part of the reason I don't buy anything but gold from there as I go for natural stones only in my collection. I had to go to Dubai for my wedding jewellery (I'm not complaining :cheeky: )

Is it really a big display of wealth thing in India? I'm from the subcontinent too, but I have to say my parents or in laws wouldn't have dreamed of selling any of their houses to buy my jewellery, which actually didn't even make a small dint in their wealth. They didnt need to set up home for us as we were 30-somethings already living together. Interesting that it differs so much from a neighbouring country. I learned something new today, thanks for sharing!

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I love them both! I lean towards 1 for a necklace though, 2 I would love to convert to a cuff bracelet with the same patterning inside. yum.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I voted for 1.

For the pieces you had appraised, were the diamonds and gold real, but the colored stones were synthetic?

EDIT: I just read that only the colored stones were synthetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results