shape
carat
color
clarity

New MIA security...yay or nay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
20.gif
is all I can say about Miami and their lovely airport.

Apparently we have a new security scanner which will see right through your clothing.

Some are fine with it because it’s a security measure and safety is first. Others, to quote a woman directly “don’t want some random person seeing me naked and for free” LOL

What are your thoughts? Personally, I prefer a pat down to having someone see all my goodies any day.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Does it see through to your bones... or to your skin?? If only to you skin, then this is a HUGE
38.gif
. Please tell me this hasn't been approved yet?!?

ETA: This is like an x-ray machine? There is no way you can forcibly make someone walk through it. What about radiation? We will have to start carrying medical records with us thru airport security now too!!!

ETA2: Erased for all of time my a**. NOTHING is erased for all of time!!
Here's a link to one of the stories... http://www.nbc6.net/news/16947985/detail.html

It even shows someones picture...
23.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They just put one of these in Chicago and I say a big fat NAY! They can pat me down if they want but I will not be agreeing to this.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Oo! They have one at the Charolette airport! I sooo wanted to go through it, but then i was suffled to the quick line
38.gif
. hmphf! the only time i didnt want to go through the quick line!

Oh well. maybe they''ll have it at SEA next june when i fly!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
You can see everything and I mean everything in the examples I have seen in the news. There was a story on this on the Consumerist site. I would prefer a pat down. I tend to always get pulled aside and get every type of search and random search of me and my belongings anyways. I only pack what I am supposed to and am rather diminutive so I don''t look like I would be trouble. This does not happen to anyone else I travel with so it gets a bit tiring. I am glad they are doing their jobs though.

Mrs.2Artists

meresal

Ideal_Rock
FYI... if you watch the video to the link I posted. These pictures show ALL your business.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
ETA - Okay, i guess i really wouldnt want someone to see my business, but then again i would find it funny soley becuase im not 5''10 105 lb with a huge rack
31.gif
. Sometimes i DO NOT want to be touched by anyone (seriously. i''ll shy away from hugs!) and let me tell you SEA TSA female guards are not gentle. So i guess its a matter of what makes your skin crawl worse?

playing devils advocate here- think of a situation of someone who cannot stand for long periods of time (IE patdown, walking through regular metal detector). This could really help if they are allow to stay in their chair or on their supports. Heck, my gma can hardley stand w/o her walker or cane, much less go 5 feel without the two.

From my experience with the Charolette airport, they did not force anyone to go through.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
jcarlylew, are you sure you aren''t talking about the air machine at the Charlotte airport? Well, I am flying tomorrow so I will let you know.

I kind of feel like it is a violation but understand that these are different times. So scary it has come down to this.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
From what I saw on the news, they see EVERYTHING. Can you imagine??

The problem is that if the machine were one where it can detect something abnormal and then notify someone, that''s one thing. But they have to have someone checking everything out. Who''s to stop some nasty person from being there just to look at all the nekked people. Gross
14.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Tacori - aww man!! maybe it was an air machine. but they had it at the security section. You'll have to let me know.

Whats the Air machine?

Firery - I guess we just have to hope for the best that the people they have at those machines don't abuse the power? I guess people could always make a complaint at security if they feel that the person was taking to long to make sure they were OK to pass.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 1:20:49 PM
Author: Catmom
They just put one of these in Chicago and I say a big fat NAY! They can pat me down if they want but I will not be agreeing to this.
I feel the same way as you Michelle, I watched the video and they can see everything.
14.gif
I much rather be pat down.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I was just at MIA and saw it but not in use...I think it''s cool! Not that I want to show my business to the world-but it keeps us safer and the probability that YOU have to go through it is pretty small I would think...unless you''re trying to hide something
27.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 1:28:15 PM
Author: 2Artists
You can see everything and I mean everything in the examples I have seen in the news. There was a story on this on the Consumerist site. I would prefer a pat down. I tend to always get pulled aside and get every type of search and random search of me and my belongings anyways. I only pack what I am supposed to and am rather diminutive so I don't look like I would be trouble. This does not happen to anyone else I travel with so it gets a bit tiring. I am glad they are doing their jobs though.

Mrs.2Artists

From what I have heard from others that this happens to you if your look fits a particular profile, one of the girls I used to work with has this happen to her all the time each time she flies and she was tall and blonde.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I am short blonde and blue eyed and apparently look very very naughty since I always get searched so extensively. Now when I fly I basically wear a cloth sack to avoid zippers or anything that would set stuff off or get me searched. But no luck even with nothing that sets stuff off on me or in my bags I get searched. They say I am the random search or whatever. It has since become a family joke when I travel. They like to laugh at me now a little bit while I am stuck getting everything searched after they have long gotten through.
20.gif

Mrs.2Artists

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 2:10:55 PM
Author: jcarlylew
Tacori - aww man!! maybe it was an air machine. but they had it at the security section. You''ll have to let me know.

Whats the Air machine?

Not sure what the REAL name is. Haha. But you stand in it (and it looks like that photo machine) and it shoots little blasts of air. It is suppose to detect if you have been around any bomb making materials. They have had it for at least a year or two now. It is right before (or after) the x-ray. Can''t remember now. Since CLT is a smaller airport I doubt they would have this photo thing but I will let you know! Are you from CLT?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2008 3:47:11 PM
Author: 2Artists
I am short blonde and blue eyed and apparently look very very naughty since I always get searched so extensively. Now when I fly I basically wear a cloth sack to avoid zippers or anything that would set stuff off or get me searched. But no luck even with nothing that sets stuff off on me or in my bags I get searched. They say I am the random search or whatever. It has since become a family joke when I travel. They like to laugh at me now a little bit while I am stuck getting everything searched after they have long gotten through.
20.gif

Mrs.2Artists
Kind of off topic but a funny story to share.

My mom is this sweet thing that never does anything wrong. When she came home from the Dominican Republic, she brought some salami with her. She didn''t know that you couldn''t bring it over. So they stopped her, found it, and the guy tells her that she can''t take it. So my mom says "WHY???? That''s for my son so I can make him some salami and fried cheese." The guy says "you have cheese here too?" And she says "maybe." So he took everything away and says "You''ve been blacklisted." Not only was I cracking up, but she had everyone in line laughing.

Now every time we travel, they stop her and search her. And she always says "I don''t have salami on me." LOL she''s so cute.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Tacori - nope im from SEA but my gma lives in greenville SC. it was cheaper to fly into CLT.

Fiery - thats such a cute story! my mom was bummed to when she couldnt bring back salami from italy. once i brought back a sandwich bag of sand...from a white beach. probably wasnt the BEST idea
25.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We will actually fly into and out of MIA for our upcoming vacation... and all I can say is, oh well... *whatever*. It does make me a little uncomfortable, but, what can you do? Absolutely nothing.

ALTHOOOOOOOUGH, whoever is looking at that screen sure oughtta buy me DINNER first!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2008 6:22:03 PM
Author: Lynn B
We will actually fly into and out of MIA for our upcoming vacation... and all I can say is, oh well... *whatever*. It does make me a little uncomfortable, but, what can you do? Absolutely nothing.

ALTHOOOOOOOUGH, whoever is looking at that screen sure oughtta buy me DINNER first!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
Lynn, you can decline to go through the machine and then they will pat you down. I''ve been through the pat down before and it was no big deal to me. The woman doing the pat down was actually apologizing to me the whole time which I thought was funny.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Boo...I couldn't find the video.

But :::shrugs::::: we are powerless to stop it. God help the person who tries to avoid paying the luggage fee by trying to sneak a 4 oz bottle of face wash in their pocket or carryon.

If anyone gets excited to see my business....heck, I'd probably pay them to pretend they were even happier to do so.
10.gif

ETA: Come to think of it...It would be more fun to be pat down.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results