shape
carat
color
clarity

New Member seeking advice on first diamond purchase - HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slj1971

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone....I am new to this site and have spend several hours reading the posts on the same question I am about to ask, however, the burst of "clarity" hasn''t hit me in the head yet so I''m asking this again........I desperately need some simple term advice on one of the most important purchases of our lives...my boyfriend and I are in the market for my engagement ring (11 years in the making - WOW). Anyhow, I don''t know whether to opt for a traditional diamond or a "brand" diamond and why I would choose one over the other. I know that color is important with regard to "fire" - I love the sparkle and I want to blind those around me when the sun hits that ring. How do I choose? I''m not completely sure what cut I want but I have narrowed it to brilliant, princess, radiant or cushion - it is all going to depend on the setting I choose......I know all about the 4-C''s but is all so confusing - is there a simple way to spell it out? Also, I spoke to a saleswoman at Jared''s and she is pushing the Leo diamond. I have seen these before and they are beautiful, however, after reading posts on this site, I''m even more confused than ever. I know we cannot afford the other "brand" name diamonds in our area (Hearts of Fire or the Hearts/Arrows or Dream diamond). I understand that these are very, very expensive. I''m shooting for a relatively simple setting so I can splurge a bit more on the center diamond. We are trying to budget about $3,500 for the setting and the stone....ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. The settings I have chosen range between #300 and $600.

Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
A diamond's sparkle is to do with cut quality, not the colour or clarity. Read the tutorials under knowledge and this will help you. Cut should always be the most important C and a branded cut really isn't necessary, possibly something like Whiteflash's Expert Selection would be a great choice.

Make cut your top priority to get the fire and brilliance you want. Colour and clarity, you could choose an F G or H as these will face up very white and save the premiums of D and E. Clarity, an eyeclean SI1 or SI2 can give you the most bang for the buck. Hope this helps, always make cut quality your priority and you will end up with a beautiful diamond. A badly cut diamond won't be beautiful even if it is a D VVS. I will try to find an example for you in a moment.

First example with a quick look, a little higher on clarity and lower on colour but within budget and a beauty.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323662.htm#

Second example, F SI2 and in budget

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2167508.htm#

This one, F SI1

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358911.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2107683.htm#

This one is an H VS2. These are the sort of diamonds you can get for your budget, hope this helps.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Congrats and welcome. We just made our purchase this past Sept and I had waited 10yrs for it. I just want to tell you not to confuse shape of the stone with the cut. If you want your diamond to sparkle then the the way it was cut will determine that. You want the best cut stone you can afford. ALso don''t get caught up in the whole "D" color thing. Some ppl are very happy with an H or an I colored stone. Some aren''t.

I would suggest you go to your local dealers to look at these differences. Use their inventory to see what you like and dislike. I did this then called Whiteflash, told them what I wanted and found the perfect stone for me.

I will look for some stones to suggest in a little while. I have my daughter home sick.

GL
Annette

slj1971

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I guess it is okay to purchase via the internet. I was always nervous about purchasing something that I can SEE on the internet (despite their certificates). I will do my homework and see if I can get this all clear in my head. How new to this am I that I thought the cut was the Shape of the stone....oh, I have soooo much to learn!

slj1971

Rough_Rock
Thank you - yes, I did confuse the cut with being the actual shape! Thank you for setting me straight. There is a lot to absorb here and despite having 11 years to think about it, I never thought it would happen and now he wants to go on Saturday to pick out my ring. I feel a fever coming on due to the panic that I have. I better jump on the opportunity NOW before he changes his mind (hahaha)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I know the hesitation about buying online but you gear yourself up with information and with a great company *(we used Whiteflash) and everything will be fine!

GL

Annette
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You say you would go either for a round, cushion, Princess or Cushion - these fancy shapes are a different ball game, as the cut quality is harder to judge, the best tools are your own eyes. Also bear in mind that fancies can show inclusions and colour more readily than rounds. Take your time and don''t rush this, decide exactly what you want and read up and learn so you can make an informed choice. You don''t want to buy in haste and spend forever regretting it. There is a lot to learn about buying diamonds but you will find it is time well spent.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: slj1971
now he wants to go on Saturday to pick out my ring. I feel a fever coming on due to the panic that I have.
Well, first of all, Congratulations slj!!

Maybe you should incourage him to prowl around Pricescope a bit! Taking the time to educate yourself and search for the "perfect" diamond/ring can be great fun.

After 11 years, you deserve the very best, and I suspect you''re more likely to get it if you take a little more time...
5.gif

Good luck, and best wishes to you both!
widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results