shape
carat
color
clarity

New Member--Curious Which Characteristics Contribute Most to Stone''s Beauty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
My husband gave me a gorgeous round brilliant diamond for our engagament a few years ago, and I absolutely love it! I have a great interest in gems and jewelry, and am wondering which of the specs you think makes the stone so lovely. I know it's a combination, but is there one characteristic that tends to really stand out?

Here's the GIA grading report:

Cut: Round brilliant
Measurements: 6.54-6.64 x 4.08 mm
Weight: 1.06 carats

Depth: 61.9%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Very thin to thin, faceted
Culet: Very small
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good

Clarity: Internally Flawless

Color: H

Fluorescence: none

I tend to think cut in general can reallly make or break a stone in my eyes. Anyway, thanks for looking! :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut quality hands down...

I would never settle for a less than fabulous cut quality now that I have ''seen the light'' so to speak.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Oleander, congrads with your stone and welcome to the forum.

... I have a great interest in gems and jewelry, and am wondering which of the specs you think makes the stone so lovely. I know it's a combination, but is there one characteristic that tends to really stand out?...
I'd venture to say that combination of crown and pavilion angles is to blame
1.gif
see Tutorial: Crown and Pavilion Angles

{added}: plugged the numbers in to DiamCalc. It suggested 36.6° and 42.1° crown and pavilion angles for these carat, diameter, depth, table, girdle and culet...

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Oleander ~
emrose.gif

Welcome to Pricescope!
36.gif

There is so much valuable information at your fingertips here
emthup.gif
... you could spend endless hours learning!
9.gif

Congrat''s on your engagement!
36.gif

Do you have any
emphoto.gif
''s of your sparklie for us? If so, please post them, we''d love to share in your happiness!
emrainbow.gif
emhot.gif
emrainbow.gif

Have a great weekend!
35.gif

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
As mentioned above,cut is number 1. A poorly proportioned diamond simply will not return light through the table as efficiently as it should as light will escape via leakage, robbing you of brilliance and fire. I wish GIA would put the pavilion and crown angles on their reports...

Clarity beyond SI-1 and color better than I will look just fine face-up. Your IF is obviously clean enough and an H color will look plenty white under normal circumstances.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies. You have confirmed my thoughts that my diamond looks bright and fiery even though it's "H" in color, all due to a good cut. The IF helps, I am sure ;-) . I've seen some dull diamonds that are better color than H, but just don't have any life to them.

I wish I had a reason to look for and buy another stone. I didn't get to do the "shopping" for this one. :) It sounds like fun--maybe sometime in the future.

Have a great day all! :)

Oh, and here is a not-so-good picture of my ring with my new wedding bands (originally had a knife-edge gold band):

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates!
nice diamond :}

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
would you happen to have the gia cert #? im curious about the numbers for that diamond and with the cert # we can check and see if gia has more info available on the diamond.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
What kind of information?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 12:23:11 AM
Author: Oleander
What kind of information?

aprox: crown and pavilion angles, cut grade, lgf% and star%

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
I''d be curious to know those things, too. The number is: 8784050 . The ring was purchased in 1997, I don''t know if this makes a difference.

I just found this forum, and since I love gemstones, I thought I would ask about my own stone and enjoy reading about others. It''s mostly inappropriate to be enthusiastic about one''s gems, with most people thinking it''s bragging. It''s nice to see others interested in this subject as well.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
too old a report to check.

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Thanks anyway. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"You have confirmed my thoughts that my diamond looks bright and fiery even though it's 'H' in color, all due to a good cut. The IF helps, I am sure ;-) . I've seen some dull diamonds that are better color than H, but just don't have any life to them.

Your diamond looks brighter probably because of the larger table. It has enough depth also to probably throw good fire. Would be interesting to know crown and pav angles.

The cut has TONS to do with how the diamond looks. I used to have a G VS not so great cut and now have a J SI and am totally happy with it, even happier because the cut quality is so much better and therefore the diamond is better looking. People always comment on how stunning the diamond is, not on the color or clarity. You can have a D IF that is crappily cut and it's just a really expensive paperweight.

The IF probably doesn't really matter .... because you can go down to a VS or even an SI and not see anything most of the time. IF is a nice perk..but it doesn't make your diamond sparkle any brighter!

Do stick around...you will end up learning alot more about diamonds than you thought possible...always handy for a future purchase.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2006 10:10:52 PM
Author: C Smith
I wish GIA would put the pavilion and crown angles on their reports...
Welcome to PS Oleander
35.gif
Very pretty diamond!

C Smith - GIA are now putting the crown and pavillion angles on their reports, but they are rounding them i.e crown angle 34 degrees instead of 34.4 which is more accurate
1.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2006 2:51:29 AM
Author: Mara

The IF probably doesn''t really matter .... because you can go down to a VS or even an SI and not see anything most of the time. IF is a nice perk..but it doesn''t make your diamond sparkle any brighter!

Yes, clarity in most cases, does not affect the sparkle, brilliance and scintillation. An eye clean SI will sparkle just as much as an IF if the cuts are exactly the same.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
People can tell you what contributes least, such as higher clarity above SI, but deciding what contributes the most is far more subjective. While we can measure attributes or parameters, ultimately the person buying or wearing the diamond selects the attributes of beauty they most prefer. This is the same with picking who has the prettiest face or who has the most wonderful personality. There is no answer but only generalizations. Reading pricescope will give you every\ detail you need to understand the selection process.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
hi Oleander,

CUT is king and makes a world of difference. Pretty ring you got there and I LOVE your wedding rings.

DL

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the compliment on the wedding rings. They are my little canaries and pink diamonds, sent in 18k and rose gold respectively. I don''t see canaries on anyone else around where I live for a wedding band, or really very often at all in jewelry. I love them, and they twinkle like crazy. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2006 3:46:48 PM
Author: Oleander
Thank you for the compliment on the wedding rings. They are my little canaries and pink diamonds, sent in 18k and rose gold respectively. I don''t see canaries on anyone else around where I live for a wedding band, or really very often at all in jewelry. I love them, and they twinkle like crazy. :)
WOW !!! pink diamonds
36.gif
what''s the tcw on the band ?

Oleander

Shiny_Rock
I just asked my husband, and he can''t remember, of course. :) They are very small stones, though. The bands themselves are about 2 mm wide and there are 14 stones going across, encompassing about 1.3 of the ring circumference, if that makes any sense. I like the canaries because they are truly yellow--almost yellow-green--really a unique color. These bands were purchased from a very small independent jeweler in a rural area--the owner is a friend of ours. She said the rings come from a German company. That''s about all i know--they were a surprise gift for our anniversary; I had tried them on by myself and gushed to my husband about them, and it must have worked. :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those wedding bands too!! Very unique!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results