shape
carat
color
clarity

New Job Dilemna

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
So, turns out that I am going to be able to fill in randomly at a new job until July 9th when the job will be mine. I am SO excited.

But I have a problem and want opinions as to what you would do in my situation....

I have a trip planned for the first week of August. I didn''t mention it during my first interview with the girl. Then she emailed me and told me that she wanted me to meet with her supervisor...so I was going to bring it up there to get a feel of what she felt about it.

Well, I never met with her supervisor, but apparently I''m "hired" and I can start on Wednesday. I don''t know what to do about the trip!!!
I tried really hard to get this job (and I am so lucky I got it., that I don''t want to piss them off by being like, "Oh...by the way."

My options are as followed:

1. Cancel the trip and never mention it. I would be sad to do this, although I do think the job is more important.

2. Just tell her about the trip, don''t tell her that I can cancel it, and see what she says.

3. Tell her about the trip, but tell her I would be willing to cancel it if it interferes with what they have planned.

I REALLY want the job, but I don''t want to start off on the wrong foot by asking for time off already, and so soon! What would you do in this situation?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I''d just go with #3, and just be honest with them. Or can you postpone your start date until after your trip?

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
This happened to me right before my daughter got married. I think I started 3 weeks before the wedding and I was going to be gone for 10 days. I wasn't going to miss my daughter's wedding, so I told them I had the trip previously planned. My boss understood and didn't have a problem with it.

If the trip is a "pleasure" trip, I'd go with 3. If it's an important trip, I'd go with 2.

ETA: No matter what, let them know it was previously planned.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well I didn''t go home for Christmas this year, so if I miss the trip I''ll have to wait until Christmas before I get the chance to go again. But that will mean that it has been TWO years since I''ve seen my mother. (I didn''t go home for xmas...I opted to go to with my boyfriend''s family instead.)

Yikes huh! Maybe I''ll mention that to her when I bring it up.

I think I''m going to bring it up. But when? The first day, or wait until the second day?
Maybe I could ask the girl that I originally interviewed with for her opinion on how the supervisor would react. S

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would bring it up asap. not seeing your mom for two years is a pretty valid excuse for a trip, and I think the kind of people you''d want to work for would be understanding of that. I wouldn''t wait until the second day, I would get it off your chest as soon as possible, that way it''s over and out of the way so you and your supervisors can focus on the work at hand and everyone is on the same page.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yay! That's great news about getting the job! Congrats!

Regarding your dilemma, I'd go with #3! Be upfront with them. That's what I always do. Usually employers are nice about trips you have planned already and let you go. Especially if it's to see your mom who you haven't seen in 2 years! Good luck!

I agree, let them know ASAP!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started a new gig about 2.5 months ago and had a trip planned to be gone for 7 working days about 2 months after I started. I didn't tell them until about 3 weeks after I started, it actually came up when we were all discussing early summer vacations, and it was more like an FYI aka 'hey i have this trip in a month...'. They did not have a problem with it at all...but it really depends on the company, the supervisor, the job itself, etc. I am a contractor as well, so if I don't work I don't get paid...it's not as though I wanted to take paid vacation when I had none.

What I would most likely do in your position is talk to the supervisor when you start or when you are filling out your paperwork or whatever, and say 'by the way i have a pre-planned trip to see my family for the first time in two years on XYZ...i hope this is okay'...and hopefully he/she will say yes it's fine. offer to take it unpaid or whatever to make it easier on them as well since you won't really have any vacation time at that point. i don't really think it'll be an issue, but you should be up front with them since it is so soon after you 'officially' start. if my trip had not been 2 months out from my start date i would have most likely brought it up when i was accepting the contract and just made sure they knew about it.

in any case, pre-congrats on getting the job you really wanted...just be honest and up front with them and see how it goes. i would imagine they'd not have a huge issue with it but if they do...you have to figure out if that is okay with you and how to proceed.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I''m decided I''m definitely going to be upfront about it.
But I''m scared!
We''ll see how it goes. I''m just going to tell them I can cancel if it interferes with anything. I guess I don''t mind waiting until xmas to see my family...it''s only another 4 months after that and I would be taking that vacation anyway.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely say it to them. I had the same thing when I started a job two years ago and I didnt mention it in the interview, so after I was working there about a week I said it to them and they were fine. I think if it''s preplanned they are normally fine about it.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I would have to agree to let them know upfront. I''m sure they will be fine with it, and I''d let them know earlier than later. Most companies appreciate the advanced notice so that they can arrange for a backup for you, or whatever the case may be.

Hope it went alright! *I''m sure you''ll be fine*
2.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definetely tell them up front. For almost all companies this will be a non-issue.

I have twice informed employers prior to stating that I had committments for trips; and in one case during a time when the company normally does not allow anyone to go on vacation.

In both cases my taking the preplanned trips was not a problem.

If the company has a problem with this at all - then I''d wonder how they would respond to other things relating to personal time off for life or family issues.

Perry

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
So....
15.gif

After dropping my summer course that would have ended this tuesday....

After shortening my vacation to cater to their schedule...

After turning down two job offers I recieved after accepting this one...

After registering for fall classes that work with their schedule...

After memorizing the name and position of everyone at the job to make my job easier...

After emailing her three times in the last two weeks....

I finally got a response.
29.gif

The girl who I was supposed to replace is extending her stay until the 23rd, and may stay part time after that as well.
She is very sorry.
There is nothing she can do because she is the boss''s friend.
She will send me my check for the days I worked, or I can come pick it up.
29.gif

I wrote her back, "Mail it to me."

So now, I am still unemployed.
7.gif
I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO MY LITTLE VOICE!!! Instead I ignored it.
For the last three weeks I could have been looking for a job, I could have been taking my summmer course.
Instead, I took her word for it that I would be starting on Monday. After she said that it wasn''t a problem if I took off a few days to go to Virginia (I cancelled the Maine part of it in order to not scare her out of hiring me. I regret that the most! I haven''t seen my family since last Oct, and it was only for 3 days, the most of which was spent at a wedding.
39.gif
) I emailed her to confirm the date. No response. I emailed her the next week to let her know that I planning my fall courses, and I would like to go over my options with her. No response. Finally, I emailed her yesterday...trying to confirm if I am supposed to be there on Mon or not. And that was the response I got.

She couldn''t tell me?!?!?!?! I find it hard to believe that she found this out this morning. Meanwhile, I have been broke...finding stuff to do around the house because I don''t want to waste all my gas. Living off my boyfriend. Twiddling my thumbs. Counting down the days.

I''m so angry!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Some people are so inconsiderate. I swear.

Time to look for a new job!
8.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
OH my Luckystar, I'm really sorry about that
7.gif
38.gif
!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry luckystar.
7.gif

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well, I've learned two things from this situation...

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

and

LISTEN TO YOUR INTUITION!!

I was talking with my boyfriend about it over dinner last week. I told him I felt weird about the job, and so much can happen in three weeks. He agreed that it was scary for me to put all my eggs in that basket, especially since we weren't in communication.
I dismissed those feelings as me just focusing on the negative again. They said they were going to call me if they need any extra help during my wait for the other girl to leave. So I just figured they didn't need me, and that's why they weren't calling. To me, it was understood that the job started July 9th, and if they called me to come in randomly before then, they were doing me a favor and nothing more. That is why I chose to ignore the signs.

Turns out, I was right, they don't need me....EVER!

Luckily, I found another job, even closer to my house. Pays less. ($7-9 an hour...I guess I have to negotiate) But I have an interview on Monday. If I get the job I'm going to ask for $8 with the guarantee of $9 after a certain amount of time. I would have gotten $10 at the last job, but I can handle $9. I'm just a full time student. But I'm going to have a wedding to pay for soon!
I don't know. It's worth checking out I guess. I'm rambling now. lol.

Hopefully this happened for a reason.
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results