shape
carat
color
clarity

New Here... Opinion on Namibia Tourmaline.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
I just purchased this tourmaline from a person off of etsy. Its going to be an engagement ring for my girlfriend who is not into diamonds in general. I do not know a ton about colored gemstones, but did do alittle research before purchasing it. The stone just spoke to me. I was just curious of everyone's opinion on the stone and whether or not I got a good deal. Here is the link to the page

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203549562/sold-tourmaline-rare-caribbean-blue?ref=shop_home_active_10

Thanks guys.

_25997.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price looks about right for the quality. Note that tourmaline isn't recommended as an everyday wear ring stone so please only wear it for show meaning the ring is to be removed once she steps through the door at home (not worn to do housework, yardwork, exercizing, etc).

For price comparison:
http://www.ajsgem.com/blue-blue-green-gemstone-tourmaline-2046340393.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
myownlife|1421164059|3815706 said:
I just purchased this tourmaline from a person off of etsy. Its going to be an engagement ring for my girlfriend who is not into diamonds in general. I do not know a ton about colored gemstones, but did do alittle research before purchasing it. The stone just spoke to me. I was just curious of everyone's opinion on the stone and whether or not I got a good deal. Here is the link to the page

https://www.etsy.com/listing/203549562/sold-tourmaline-rare-caribbean-blue?ref=shop_home_active_10

Thanks guys.

Tourmaline isn't durable enough for an every day e-ring.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd also say the price looks right for the quality of the stone. The size is really good at 10 x 8mm. Do you, by chance, know the depth? I didn't see it on the listing.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
The tourmalines gemstones total depth (from top of crown to tip of culet is 6.70 mm. Depth from girdle to culet tip is 4.7 mm.

This is a picture of the setting that will be used for the ring. Do you think the deep set will protect the stone?

your_ring.jpg

il_194.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

That's a good depth.

Pretty setting. I'm glad you included the profile because I couldn't tell if it was a full bezel or prong set; prongs are much more recommended as tourmaline is a "chippy" stone. I think the halo could be used to protect the stone, but an open gallery could be a positive and negative. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the stone in person yet?

I just wanted to point out that the modern cutting on the ring clashes with the antique style of the setting, but if she loves it, go for it.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
She wants a halo setting and I think combining the two looks pretty interesting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
myownlife|1421167026|3815734 said:
She wants a halo setting and I think combining the two looks pretty interesting.

Well, there are more modern halos too. Is she picking out everything, or are you, or the both of you?

myownlife

Rough_Rock
We are picking everything out together.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
myownlife|1421167569|3815741 said:
We are picked everything out together.

Okay, just making sure, because she has to love it as well. If she loves the stone with that setting, than go for it. I just wanted to also point out this stone in his inventory (the same vendor), as this is also a very pretty gem, and would be more durable for an every day e-ring. It would also look lovely in an Edwardian inspired halo, such as you picked out. I know its not the same color as the tourmaline, but I thought it was pretty, so I wanted to also show it. Spinel has a high luster, and refractive index, so it will have lovely flashes of color and brilliance.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/204174248/natural-spinel-2-12-ct-dusky-rose-color?ref=shop_home_active_8

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
myownlife|1421166294|3815726 said:
The tourmalines gemstones total depth (from top of crown to tip of culet is 6.70 mm. Depth from girdle to culet tip is 4.7 mm.

This is a picture of the setting that will be used for the ring. Do you think the deep set will protect the stone?

This combination is electric, just a stunning blend. I don't have a clue on pricepoints or durability but I really think that combination of stone and setting is visually gorgeous.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. We think it has a very cool pop as well. I see your name are you into saltwater?

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

Actually my username is because an interest in pearls is what brought me to Pricescope. And ethically harvested coral as a semi precious gem which can be an exquisite colour and contrasts nicely with your tourmaline which is a stunning ocean green-blue.

Anyhow you and your intended clearly have exquisite taste so I hope you guys hang around and update us on how this project progresses, and any future ones!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I think the stone and setting look great together, and if she is helping to choose them, that's even better.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've said it before here, but will say it again. I think the non durability of stones such as tourmaline and garnets are over stated by some people on this forum. I don't know what they do with their hands to scratch up stones. My wife wore a tourmaline e-ring for almost 10 years with no marks on it. She wore it every day and almost never took it off. There are not a lot of things you own that can scratch a stone with a hardness of 7. Any stone, diamonds included can be chipped. When my wife's friends come over, they all want to look at their diamonds under my gem microscope. Once they do, they wish they didn't. Along with all the crud on them, they are chips.

I guess it's a lot like a cell phone screen. Some peoples are a mess of scratches and broken, others look brand new.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
Coralfish|1421173277|3815792 said:
Hi!

Actually my username is because an interest in pearls is what brought me to Pricescope. And ethically harvested coral as a semi precious gem which can be an exquisite colour and contrasts nicely with your tourmaline which is a stunning ocean green-blue.

Anyhow you and your intended clearly have exquisite taste so I hope you guys hang around and update us on how this project progresses, and any future ones!

Ahhhh very interesting. I have a big reef tank full of coral and I also believe in ethical aqua and maricultured. I will post pictures of the process and the finished product.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
The force must be with your wife. :bigsmile: I've abraded the crown facets of my spinel and garnet rings and I only wear these rings a few hours a day at best when I'm actually in the office and able to sit down for those few hours writing reports and such. I've also read of other PSers who've chipped their spinels (with a desk job to boot). There's just no telling how hard the wearer will be on the ring so I prefer to err on the side of caution, especially for an e-ring stone where it carries greater emotional significance.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1421173690|3815795 said:
I've said it before here, but will say it again. I think the non durability of stones such as tourmaline and garnets are over stated by some people on this forum. I don't know what they do with their hands to scratch up stones. My wife wore a tourmaline e-ring for almost 10 years with no marks on it. She wore it every day and almost never took it off. There are not a lot of things you own that can scratch a stone with a hardness of 7. Any stone, diamonds included can be chipped. When my wife's friends come over, they all want to look at their diamonds under my gem microscope. Once they do, they wish they didn't. Along with all the crud on them, they are chips.

I guess it's a lot like a cell phone screen. Some peoples are a mess of scratches and broken, others look brand new.

Thanks. I have read you say this in other forums after the others posted to my forum. Its not like I really have a choice. This is what we picked and this is what she is getting. I started this thread to simply see if i picked a quality tourmaline, but i appreciated all the info I am getting.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! That's going to be a beautiful ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1421173690|3815795 said:

I think garnets are more durable than tourmaline in my experience. However, I advise people never to look at their frequently worn gems with a loupe, as what you don't know, can't hurt you!! :errrr:

myownlife

Rough_Rock
well its starting out loupe clean so hopefully she can keep it that way as long as possible

myownlife

Rough_Rock
2 more pictures of the stone sent by the cutter. I do not as of yet have the stone in person

icm_54.jpg

icm_55.jpg

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1421174172|3815799 said:
Gene,
The force must be with your wife. :bigsmile: I've abraded the crown facets of my spinel and garnet rings and I only wear these rings a few hours a day at best when I'm actually in the office and able to sit down for those few hours writing reports and such. I've also read of other PSers who've chipped their spinels (with a desk job to boot). There's just no telling how hard the wearer will be on the ring so I prefer to err on the side of caution, especially for an e-ring stone where it carries greater emotional significance.

If your stones are getting that damaged, what the heck does the gold work look like? I know my wife bent the prongs on her ring and needed to get it straighten out. That may have been from a back hand to my head.... I forget.... hmmmm wonder my my memory is so bad!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
The settings look fine; never bent a prong before. Not much of a patina nor lost a melee before either. To clarify, I can only spot these under a loupe.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
myownlife|1421180868|3815886 said:
2 more pictures of the stone sent by the cutter. I do not as of yet have the stone in person

This stone is magical. Really something special.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1421181194|3815891 said:
Gene,
The settings look fine; never bent a prong before. Not much of a patina nor lost a melee before either. To clarify, I can only spot these under a loupe.

I chipped the heck out of one of my tourmalines (fortunately it was a learning stone) and I scratched the table of a cuprian (I think that can be polished out though). I am pretty careful too, and the settings look perfectly fine.

To the OP, since your stone has a very high crown, just be cautious about that, as it can get dinged more, and there are more facet edges that can get abraded, due to the checkerboard cut. I think tourmaline is fine for rings, but it's just e-rings I have reservations with because they are worn more often. In any case, good luck with it, and you must post pics when it's done. :D Congratulations on your engagement.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I have worn a very similar tourmaline e-ring for over three years now, and I only have one teensy scuff on the table that can easily be buffed out without removing the stone. I don't wear it at home or for gardening etc, but outside that it has had a lot of hours of wear (and I am a very clumsy person!)

I am aware that I may have to replace the stone in the future, but having the right colour was so important to me that a relatively minor amount of babying was well worth it to me. I still smile every time I get that flash of my favourite colour on my hand. Luckily tourmaline is (relatively) inexpensive as well.

I know people with sapphires and diamonds who have chipped or cracked them in the first few weeks of wearing them; if we are basing our advice on personal anecdote, then I should be warning against those stones! ;-) I think all we can do is make sure that people are aware of the potential risk and the ramifications, and then support them in their decision to forge on.

myownlife

Rough_Rock
Namibia Tourmaline is Indicolite correct? Is it also copper bearing?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the ruby in my day to day 3-stone ring under a loupe and it was not a pretty sight!

DK :rolleyes:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results