shape
carat
color
clarity

New Hampshire''s Other Primary Election

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
By John C. Burke
Boston.com Staff / January 9, 2008

New Hampshire had two primaries of world-wide interest going on yesterday.
Marty, the primary winner, relaxes as he enjoys his win. Marty, the primary winner, relaxes as he enjoys his win.

Primary No. 1 was the political primary in which Republican and Democratic candidates for president of the United States would be endorsed.

Primary No. 2 was the on-line balloting going on to select from three candidates the "top cat" to assume the post of Mount Washington Weather Observatory mascot.

More than 8,000 people cast votes in Primary No. 2 and today the observatory announced that the winner was a cat named Marty.

This cat will fill the vacancy being caused by the retirement of Nin, the longtime feline mascot at the observatory who left the mountain to go into retirement on the day after Christmas.

Her retirement -- thanks to wide-spread media attention -- not only generated headlines in such newspapers as the New York Times, the Boston Globe and the San Francisco Chronicle, but also led to the observatory deciding to have its own primary on Tuesday. The contest had a slate of three cats, selected with the assistance of the Conway Area Humane Society.

The results of yesterday''s voting announced today were:

Marty --- 53 percent

Wilson -- 26 percent

Sarah --- 21 percent.

Photos and biographies of each of the candidates were posted on the observatory website. The announcement of the winner on the website included this quote from, Scot Henley, executive director of the observatory: "Observatory members have sent us newspaper clippings from a variety of places around the country where the story appeared --- California, Arizona, Washington, Virginia, virtually everywhere. Personally I saw a photo of Nin on the cable news channel in Philadelphia."

Observatory officials also said the Nin story drew a large response from cat lovers around the country. " We have received over 70 emails and dozens of calls from people around the country looking to donate new cats", Henley said. "While we couldn’t possibly accept those donations, we wanted to give the public a chance to help pick our new mascot so we decided to hold this first-in-the-nation feline primary.”

Incidentally, Nin, who is 17 or 18 years old, has taken up residence with two friends, Diane Holmes and Mike Pelchat, both rangers at the Mt. Washington State Park, who live in the town of Gorham, where Nin will be close to her veterinarian.

Article

Here''s a pic of Marty:

Marty Top Cat.jpg

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Mount Washington Observatory Site with commentary on the weather and the election. And here is the link to the Top Cat.

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG DB - so CUTE! I just e-mailed it to my DH, I think he''ll get a kick out of it too. What a neat thing to do, and it looks like its a pretty nice life for the cat who lives there. I don''t normally approve of outdoor kitties, but it sounds like this is about as ideal a situation as you can get for an indoor-outdoor cat. Thanks for sharing that
9.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results