shape
carat
color
clarity

New GIA Cert... Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chewie

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I''m just curious if any of you have updated your GIA diamond (round brilliant) grading reports to the new report format as of January 1, 2006?

I was very luck, my original report was from April, 4, 2005, but the information was there on the website (http://reportcheck.gia.edu/) so, I do not have to send in my stone (only the report) because the "additional information" was on the website and therefore already in GIA''s system. WHEW!

ReportCheckService-1.jpg

Basically, if your report date was Jan 1 - July 31, 2005 the cost is $15 charge + $8.53 for registered mail return (or you can provode your own return method such as UPS or fedex and the cost is only $15).

If the date was Aug 1 - Dec 31, 2005 the cost is only the registered mail (or free if you provide them with a means of return).

I guess I am just trying to see who''s done this and if there is any reason that I should NOT do it?

Thanks!

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi Chewie,
I like your stone. I recently bought a similar one, but yours is a little more desirable on a few factors.

All of the new "additional information" on your diamond is sweet, so if you got it, flaunt it! I am sure that you were expecting an "Excellent" cut grade. Its proportions and angles are "ideal", so the new cert will only benefit you.

I already sent my Dec 05 certificate to GIA, and am awaiting my upgraded report. I viewed the Report Check before purchasing, so there will be no surprises.

If a stone had only fair proportions, and a less desireble cut grade, possibly one would not want to present that all that in the updated format.

Tip: some of these fees and services are scheduled thru June 06 only.
From GIA
"Diamonds in this category are eligible for new reports containing a cut grade.

If your report is dated between August 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005: simply return your old report to the Laboratory, and a new report containing a cut grade will be issued to you. This service is free through June 2006.

If your report is dated between January 1, 2005 and July 31, 2005: you may need to submit your diamond to the Laboratory. To find out whether your diamond must be returned, please go to GIA Report Check and enter your diamond’s report number and carat weight. If Report Check returns a cut grade for your diamond, the diamond does not need to be submitted and a new report will be reissued to you upon request. The fee for this service is $15.00 through June 2006.

If Report Check does not return a cut grade for your diamond, the stone will have to be submitted to the Laboratory for additional measurements before an updated report is issued. The fee for this service is $15 through June 2006, and 75% of the grading fee thereafter. Please contact a Gemological Service Representative (GSR) if you need further information."

Sincerely,
David

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results