shape
carat
color
clarity

New dream lavender spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I've had my eye on this stone as a possible contender for the inspiration pendant that I saw on Catherine Zeta-Jones in her chef movie. I can't locate the picture, but Freke found it for me. After reading everyone's posts that seem to agree that the stones actually are darker than the photos, I am concerned. I am not even sure this stone is close to the inspiration pendant.

STONE: Spinel
WEIGHT: 1.25 Cts.
CUT: Emerald
DIMENSIONS: 4.56 x 7.00 mm
ORIGIN: Tanzania
COLOR: Medium Purple
CLARITY: Very Good+ (Eye Clean, Nearly Flawless)
PRICE (U.S. Dollars): $156
ITEM sp1186

http://www.customgemstones.com/SPINEL/sp1186.htmlLink to the stone

Wow, I hate Firefox for links. I need to use Explorer for PS...grrrrr

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
It is a beautiful stone!

Lori

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I had my eye on that from Dan too. I like the color. I wouldn''t worry about it as Dan is extremely professional to deal with. I have bought 3 or 4 stones from him of which I only returned one and it was extremely easy/ painless for me. Dan is one of my favorite vendors to work with.

I would wait for the stone and take a day or two to see what it is like in different lighting etc. If it works out then great. If you are concerned with the color then just email Dan to work something else out.

Goodluck!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about Firefox. I love the user friendliness of Firefox for everything except the URL linking for PS.
As for the spinel, it''s really hard to say. I know Dan is very understanding so it might be worth checking it out. Dan''s photography seems to be improving but as I have not purchased from him for several years, I cannot vouch for the accuracy today.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been eyeing that stone myself. I think it''s beautiful.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the stone but couldn''t figure out how to use it. More power to you since you have the jewelry design vision!

I''m sure that it''s darker than the photo. But I hope that it won''t be too dark for you. Do you have a link to the inspiration necklace???

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...honestly I think it will be too dark. HOWEVER, I also think it will be gorgeous. As for the picture...

noreservations freke for miracles.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the picture, Freke. It looks like the colour of the inspiration pendant is very light / pastel. If Miraclesrule wants something similar, I agree that the Dan Stair stone is too dark.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on it being too dark, though I think it''ll still be beautiful!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it looks almost blue on CZJ on my monitor. And I can''t see the setting as well as I would like to.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!! Dang Freke, you're quick...as usual.
35.gif

I thought the stone would be too dark and you're right, now that I look at the picture, the stone is probably darker than I'd like it to be. At least now I can remember what I was going for and thanks to the rest of you colored gem lovers, I know what kind of stone to look at.

I probably know of 4 types of gems. Er, did know of 4 types of gems..okay maybe more. I know a few of the birthstones. I just love all of you and your knowledge.

I need to find me a light lavender stone.
30.gif

Stonelover, that has been the problem all along. Unless I freeze frame my DVR, I can't really get a good idea of what it is that she is wearing and the setting. All I know is that I couldn't really watch the movie because I was distracted and obsessed with her pendant.
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, Packrat was looking for a lavendar stone (a spinel) a while back - Link

If the Dan stone doesn't work, you should ask him if he has something lighter - and also ask Barry (acstones.com), Jeff (whitesgems.com), Gene (precisiongem.com), and Gary (finewatergems.com) and see if they can cut you anything.

And here are a few lighter stones from Gemrite:

Purple Spinel

Purple Spinel 2

Tanzanite

Or what about this sapphire from PrecisionGem? Gem 774

ETA: Not sure if emerald cut is a deciding factor - if so, feel free to ignore!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a really light purple amethyst? I know Dan Stair has the rough... I'm betting you'd want it to be around 2-3cts...about 10x8 or 11x9mm if you're wanting that emerald shape...

ETA: You could go smaller though, since it's bezeled. BTW, it looks like a sliding bezel (no bail) on a chain. So if the dimensions are a little bit "off", it shouldn't really matter since the bezel has to be custom (odds are anyway).

And, I was being lazy last night. I didn't do a search for it until today. But you're welcome!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Brown eyed Girl, thanks for the links. I really love the last one. It''s nice and light and the cut I think represents the shape I am looking for. Worth looking into.

Freke,

I will try to find the rough stone that you refer to that Dan Stair has in his inventory. I havent'' found it yet, but it will be the first rough stone I have ever looked into, so I don''t know if I trust myself.
32.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol! You don't have to look through his rough! Just send him the picture, tell him you want a light/pastel purple amethyst, like what CZJ is wearing (feel free to send him the pic--seriously) in the size and shape that you want, and he'll let you know if he has the rough and if he can cut what you want. I am pretty sure he does though--I asked him for something similar not terribly long ago. I think that the more specific you are, the better your chances are of getting exactly what you want. Heck, send him to this thread if you want

ETA: and remember you have an army of Colored Stoners here to help! Feel free to ask any questions you may have! I know how long you've wanted this necklace!

trishy

Shiny_Rock
what about this stone for the pendant?
here is the link to the stone

i believe its already sold, but it can tell you what kind of stone you are lookin for maybe? i dont know if that helps any...
but it is a beautiful necklace, i''d love to see it on a fellow ps''er

for lavender pendant.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
How about this for color? It's a little guy though, but if you like it, maybe Peter has more rough?

ETA:
Link

3119097412_4cd809ec89.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
OOH what about this? I love this stone! But it might be too blue

Linky

4019663791_4c45f6a017a.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
And here''s a light/medium amethyst

Link

Amy169b_sm.JPG

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
ooooh, Tishy, that''s one beautiful stone. I love the color and the cut. I have to run off to work :::blech::: right now, but hopefully I will have time at lunch to look at longingly.

Freke:
See how much I need to learn? Do''H! I''ll send the picture to show the vendors and keep my fingers crossed. I love the color stoners!!

Brown Eyed:

Thanks for the links. The lighter amethyst is growing on me. I now I prefer more purple than blue in the stone. I guess that is why seeing the stones in real life makes such a different. It''s like when I was afraid that "Sangria" colored cement would be too pink because of the name, but my monitor showed the color to be just what I was looking for. Needless to say, when I came home, I had a very pinkish walkway.
38.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took the liberty of inserting the actual picture of the OP''s stone from Dan Stair since the link didn''t work.

sp1186.jpg

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
That''s Tournaline!!

I have been so busy looking for settings for my pendant I have been a lazy image inserter.

I really need to switch to Explorer when I am on PS. I hate using Firefox on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results