shape
carat
color
clarity

New diamonds studs for me, sad story behind them though

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have had a rough few weeks. Wedding planning is going nicely but I had a phonecall from my aunty a few weeks back, and she and my uncle won''t be coming as he suffered a fractured skull in an accident. To top it off FI''s uncle was diagnosed very unexpectedly with a malignant inoperable brain tumour two weeks ago and died three days ago at the age of 45. All so sudden. Both families are in shatters at the moment and we''ll be heading interstate tomorrow for the funeral. Much as I''m looking forward to the next few months I can''t feel happy atm. FI is pretty torn up about his uncle. Anyhoo, long story short I bought some studs for myself yesterday in a weak moment, that I''ve wanted for ages. Material things like this don''t really matter at times like this, but life''s just too short. At any rate I''m enjoying wearing them.

Sorry if this is all a bit depressing
40.gif
I just wanted to share these with everyone here but felt almost guilty doing so without the story behond them. So here they are, they''re .40ct each, H SI2s, in 14ct white gold. Nice size for everyday wear I feel. I''m a yellow gold girl but much prefer the white claws, so white it is.

I hope none of this came out the wrong way, it''s just hard to put times, and feelings, or whathaveyou, like these, into words.

Thanks for letting me share/vent!

DiaStuds1.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my behemoth lobes.

Thanks for looking.

I just spoke to FI (he''s away for the day on an electrical job) and he said he felt a bit guilty about the money but ''confessed'' to me he bought himself a flash tuner for his car (some power boosting thing
37.gif
) to try and cheer himself up. I told him about my studs and we had a bit of a chuckle together, since after all, it''s just money. Something to keep him occupied though, I guess. Isn''t it funny that at the worst times, the smallest things can bring you a bit of happiness, even just for a while?

DiaStuds2.jpg

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi, I''m so sorry to hear what a rough time it''s been for you. I know exactly what you mean. My dad died suddenly in his sleep a year ago although he was in good health. When that happened, I was crushed but it just made me realise that money is just money. I can''t take it with me when I leave this world so why not enjoy it when I can. That was a doubly important lesson for me because I had just paid a MAJOR hospitalisation bill for my mum (she''s not covered by insurance. Long story...)

I''m glad buying those ears helped (if only for a short while) - hey...retail therapy always worked for me. I''m happy it works for you too.

Take care and hang in there. Vent ahead if it helps.

Forgot to say...nice earrings!!! They''re just the right size too!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DiaDiva! I'm glad my jumbled words made some sense
41.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/26/2007 2:03:10 AM
Author: DiaDiva
DandiAndi, I'm so sorry to hear what a rough time it's been for you. I know exactly what you mean. My dad died suddenly in his sleep a year ago although he was in good health. When that happened, I was crushed but it just made me realise that money is just money. I can't take it with me when I leave this world so why not enjoy it when I can. That was a doubly important lesson for me because I had just paid a MAJOR hospitalisation bill for my mum (she's not covered by insurance. Long story...)

I'm glad buying those ears helped (if only for a short while) - hey...retail therapy always worked for me. I'm happy it works for you too.

Take care and hang in there. Vent ahead if it helps.

Forgot to say...nice earrings!!! They're just the right size too!
And well said too ! I'm terribly sorry about your dad, and I hope your mum is doing well too xo

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, DA! It''s been hard and not a day passes where I don''t think of him but I have to accept what I cannot change, right?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I am really sorry to hear about your situation DandiAndi. There is a song that I really love called "Liquid Diamonds" where the artist sings about loss and how her tears are kind of like liquid diamonds flowing from sadness, and the song kind of reminds me of your new earrings, which are lovely BTW. I am also a big believer in retail therapy, so I am hoping you and your Fi can find peace in your lives so that you can go on with the wedding planning and enjoy your wedding knowing that your family members will be there in spirit even in they are not there in person.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankyou so much for your thoughts, SanDiegoLady, and Love in Bloom. They really mean alot to me. I think the worst part of this whole time has been seeing my FI with tears in his eyes... he cried a bit when our puppy was run over a few years back, but that''s the ONLY time I''ve seen him cry in the 8 years we''ve been together, until this week. Hes not one to bare his soul much, but when he does it wrenches at my heart.

On a happier note, his car gained several kilowatts today
41.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dandi, I am so sorry to hear. Don''t feel guilty, this is just a really sad reminder that life IS short.

So enjoy your moment now.
2.gif

BTW, they are gorgeous!
5.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for all the losses, too, DA. I used to be a major saver and never spent any money, but at some point I also felt that you just have to stop and enjoy life along the way, too! So I am happy for you to have some new studs! They are a great everyday size and you''ll get so much wear and enjoyment from them!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh DandiAndi, I''m so sorry to hear about you and your FI''s recent tough times. Don''t feel guilty about your purchases! Sometimes one needs a little retail therapy as a pick me up. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! I hope things smooth out for you quickly and you and your FI and families are able to move past these horried times with no more terrible surprises.

On a brighter note, I love your new earrings! They look beautiful and are the perfect size for your ears.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
DandiAndi,

I''m so sorry to hear about all of this. What a terrible loss - and so sudden.

My husband and I had a similar conversation about money after a few deaths around us this summer - most notably my boss that had retired. He retired in Dec, was diagnosed with a brain tumor in Jan, and passed away in May. He worked his whole life preparing and planning for his retirement and had all sorts of plans, and didn''t even get to enjoy it.

It really made us appreciate that no matter how well you plan, how much money you save, it could all go away tomorrow. It truly is very important to do the things you want and enjoy the money you earn.

So, wear your beautiful earrings with the knowledge you purchased them to commemorate life and just how precious it is.
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
DandiAndi I am sorry to hear your sad news, but this is a good place to share what you are going through. I think your new studs are just gorgeous and such a nice classic addition to any jewelry wardrobe. There is no reason that you shouldn't have something nice for yourself at a time like this.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very sorry for your loss.

Your earrings are just perfect! You deserve them!

cheers--Sharon

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your loss. Yes your OP makes sense. Loss is real but it makes us realize that we need to enjoy life NOW and not wait on a future that may never come. I''m glad that both you and your F reacted in a similar way.

The earring look very nice. Enjoy them!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You are going to enjoy those earrings for many years to come. Yes, they are a perfect everyday size.

Yes, there are hard times, but then there are the good times. Thanks for sharing your story, and your beautiful bling!

And, I agree about the yellow gold thing. I love yellow gold, too, but it just didn''t make sense to have yellow gold diamond studs. So little is visible that white works just fine. Good choice!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dandi, I am so sorry to hear about the awful events in you and your FI''s families. I think buying the earrings can certainly help bring a smile to your face and heart. They are beautiful and look lovely on your ears.

Take care.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh DandiAndi, I''m so sorry to hear about your uncle and about FI''s uncle. I know how devastating this is--my uncle died of a malignant brain tumor back in 2003, he was 42, and it was also very sudden and shocking.

I think your earrings are gorgeous, and I hope they''ll come to symbolize everything wonderful you can remember about FI''s uncle, your own uncle''s good health, and just how important loved ones really are. And I agree that sometimes a little retail therapy goes a long way.

Take care of each other during this difficult time, and thank you for sharing your beautiful earrings with us.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear about everything! How horrible. The studs look great and you are right, life is short. I hope you enjoy them!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DA, your new studs are beautiful, congrats! I know that at times like these, what you and FI are going through trumps all things material, but it is certainly nice to have something to take your mind off of seemingly dire straights. When my dad was in the hospital after extensive surgeries to get rid of his cancer, my mom spent every waking moment at his side even when he''d wake up and throw things at her. She took about 30 minutes one day to get some retail therapy and found some wonderful Danish designed amber earrings and a ring that she absolutely loves, I think it kept her sane. Nothing wrong with buying jewels/sparklies to brighten your day during this time, don''t feel bad at all.

Things will improve, I''m glad you came here to share your troubles as well as your newest purchase, though. Take care of yourself, that''s the only way you can stay strong and provide that much needed support to the rest of your family.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about the losses. You are right, life is short. On a happier note, your new studs are beautiful! I hope you enjoy them!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
39.gif
Sorry to hear about the losses to your family
7.gif

The earrings are beautiful and I am glad they helped to cheer you up a little
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous earrings DA. I am so sorry to hear about all the tragedy going on in your families. I think these things make us more acutely aware of our mortality and that life is short. I think a good sparkly, if it can take your mind off your troubles, is a very good thing.

They are beautiful!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful studs; I am so sorry for your loss. It is always nice to get something when you are down.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
Your new studs are gorgeous.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have done the same thing too. Bought something when I have been sad and grieving. I think we all have done it at one time or another.

Your studs are beautiful and look very nice on you.

Linda

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, thankyou all so much for the heartfelt replies! We just flew in home about an hour ago, and have done nothing this past week but eat, drink, cry, laugh, drink... and eat... and cry...
5.gif
And I''ve come home and read all these wonderful messages and would probably start crying again if I wasn''t so stuffed! There were about 20 members of FI''s family staying at the hotel with us, and about 30 people at FI''s aunty''s house at any one time, she''s so lucky to have such a strong network of friends at such an awful time. The funeral service was beautifully put together, really more a celebration of Michael''s life, than a mourning of his death.

In other news, MY uncle who sustained the fractured skull is home with his wife and doing well all things considered, they won''t be at the wedding as he cannot travel but more importantly he is recovering!

Again, thanks all so much for your well wishes, you really are all an incredible bunch of people who deserve all the happiness in the world, and I''d do anything for any one of you xoxox

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results