shape
carat
color
clarity

New Diamond Grading?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

Along the way on my jewellry journeys I have come across a store that is dealing with GIA & EGL certified diamonds, however, they are now starting to sell GCAL graded diamonds. I had never heard of this before ... Has anyone else?

I have attached a link so you can take a look if you are interested. It sounds interesting ... Not being an expert, don''t know if it is actually any good or credible or not.

GCAL Diamond Grading

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GCAL is a good lab which may someday have virtually equal footing with GIA or AGSL. They are well financed and produce a credible grading product.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks a lot, Old Miner. It does look interesting. I will keep my eyes and ears open and see how this grading system does. Maybe, if I get a chance, I will check out a GCAL graded diamond.

gontama

Shiny_Rock
BlueNile uses GCAL for their signature ideal lines on top of regular AGS and GIA. You can see samples at their site. They measure light performance (do not know how - prediction based or direct measurement). Discrepancy between AGS and GCAL in c/p angles (sometimes diameter as well) is interesting. I personally do not think AGS is always more accurate. It is always good to have a seocnd opinion for BN as they do not provide any more information other than AGS or GIA

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m impressed with the comprehensive scope of the GCAL reports that I''ve seen. As Dave said, they are well funded and have spent a ton of money on
literature and advertising to the trade. I''ve had the opportunity to meet and talk with some of their lab people over the
last year and feel confident in their experience and levels of knowledge.

Jeff Averbook,GG

Graduate Gemologist/Appraiser
www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
This is good to know ... Thanks for sharing. It''s always good to know that there is another viable option out there.

I''m curious as to how long it will take GCAL to develop a strong enough brand identity that they will be considered, popularly, in the ranks of either GIA/AGS.
It will be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results