shape
carat
color
clarity

New cat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
So here''s what I''m curious about. I''ve heard that you should keep the cats separate for a little while. I''m thinking Lola would do best in my bedroom as that''s where she spends the majority of her day. That would leave new kitty roaming the apartment.

Now, here''s my concern: Lola is 5 and declawed. I''m worried that if I get a cat that is too attitudey with her, if it has claws it''ll hurt poor Lola.

Should I go with a male or a female cat? Everybody seems to think that I''m going to get a boy, which I don''t object to, I just don''t know if there are more fights with animals of the same sex or animals of the opposite. I want to get a 1-2 year old, just to have something a little more stimulating for Lola, but I''m open to kitties of all ages. Otherwise, I don''t have much of a preference (okay, not huge, short hair, and not orange).

Any thoughts on how to do this? I want to make sure Lola stays happy and loved, and that she gets a new friend out of this.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had a lot of cats over the years and lots of different experience introducing new cats to eachother. Generally, the rule is that the new cat should be confined to the smaller area, and the cats can get to know eachother by sniffing through the door and stuff. However, since you say your cat spends most of her time in your room, it might be better to keep her where she is most comfortable. It''s also more important to keep small kittens confined to smaller spaces, not so much with older kitties.
As far as the sex of the cat, the main issue you would have is introducing a male and a male. Other than that, I don''t think it makes too much of a difference. With the last cat I got, I had the choice between a male and female and it was suggested I take the female since I already had a male at home. Introducing opposite sexes lessens the chance of dominance issues, but one cat will always be at least slightly more dominant no matter what the sex. Since you already have a female, I wouldn''t worry too much about the sex of the new cat, I''d just get one based on personality rather than sex.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Get a cat that is already fixed. Not only is it for the best in general, but two females in heat are irritable at best, two males fight and obviously a mixed set is just asking for more cats needing homes. If you are getting them from a shelter, see how they react to other cats. My male is fine with them, but my female is very teritorial, it just depends.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Okay, that seems easier. I had heard that the new cat should get a smaller space, but BF says she spends her whole day in my room until 6 when I get home. When she''s scared during thunderstorms she hides in my closet. I don''t want to take her safety zone away when there is a new cat in her house, you know?

Glad to hear there wouldn''t be much of a problem based on gender. I know the shelter I got Lola from requires time for the animals to interact, so I have time to find a kitty I like.

Random question: Lola has this really annoying habit of meowing and yowling really loudly late at night. Would another cat just make my nights louder and more obnoxious? Or is it an attention thing?

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 8:37:37 PM
Author: princesss
Okay, that seems easier. I had heard that the new cat should get a smaller space, but BF says she spends her whole day in my room until 6 when I get home. When she's scared during thunderstorms she hides in my closet. I don't want to take her safety zone away when there is a new cat in her house, you know?

Glad to hear there wouldn't be much of a problem based on gender. I know the shelter I got Lola from requires time for the animals to interact, so I have time to find a kitty I like.

Random question: Lola has this really annoying habit of meowing and yowling really loudly late at night. Would another cat just make my nights louder and more obnoxious? Or is it an attention thing?
A LOT of cats do that. It really depends, but I find that having two cats versus one usually keeps them quieter. (Except for them chasing one another around the house knocking stuff over). When I had my cat by himself, he would cry all night, once we got him a partner in crime, he cried a lot less. I think maybe his crying annoyed the other cat, so the new cat would chase him and get him to shut up.
2.gif
20.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
First of all congrats on your thoughts to get a new addition!

I''ve always had a boy and a girl. They do not seem to get territorial with each other which is very nice. They do appear as though they are fighting but that''s just how they play with each other. Neither cat has ever hurt the other and both kitties have all their claws (one even has double paws in the front and back!). To avoid any claw related mishaps, I keep their claws cut and filed. It is best to start the "caticures" early so the kitten adjusts.

I too have heard that you should seperate the animals. When I adopted Miyagi I placed him into his own room and allowed my older cat, Tela, to wander the house. For Miyagi''s sake I wanted him to be the one limited so he could adjust to the sounds and smells of the house and learn that this room was "his". Plus it was much easier for me to keep track of him and my older cat couldn''t associate the new kitten and being locked in one room as "punishment". Within 24 hours of arriving home, Miyagi let me know that he wanted OUT. Once I opened the door to his room there was some mild aggression from my older cat but Miyagi had orientated himself with the room enough to know where he could hide. In a matter of days, everyone had adapted.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
princess - ditto to what has already been said and also to your (excellent!) instincts to keep Miss Lola separated from the new kitty and in her usual safe zone at first. Gradual introductions always increase the odds of the success.

I don''t know about your local shelter and rescue options, but they should be able to work with you to identify kitties who would be a good match for Lola personality-wise. I don''t think that male vs. female (as long as both are fixed - this is KEY), declawed (hopefully not) vs. not, or whatever is as important as finding a good match. For example, is Lola playful, or does she seem more laid-back and always wants to sleep? Is she generally outgoing, or more shy? These are the kinds of questions you''ll want to consider, and also have answers to to help the staff of a shelter or rescue help you find the right kitty match.

Good for you for wanting to rescue another kitty, and please post pics when you bring the new darling home
12.gif
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2008 11:22:15 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
princess - ditto to what has already been said and also to your (excellent!) instincts to keep Miss Lola separated from the new kitty and in her usual safe zone at first. Gradual introductions always increase the odds of the success.

I don''t know about your local shelter and rescue options, but they should be able to work with you to identify kitties who would be a good match for Lola personality-wise. I don''t think that male vs. female (as long as both are fixed - this is KEY), declawed (hopefully not) vs. not, or whatever is as important as finding a good match. For example, is Lola playful, or does she seem more laid-back and always wants to sleep? Is she generally outgoing, or more shy? These are the kinds of questions you''ll want to consider, and also have answers to to help the staff of a shelter or rescue help you find the right kitty match.

Good for you for wanting to rescue another kitty, and please post pics when you bring the new darling home
12.gif
1.gif

AG, thanks for chiming in. I''m glad my instincts weren''t way off.

I''ll definitely be in communication with the shelter about what Lola''s like, and try to find a companion for her. The shelter doesn''t let its animals go out without fixing them, so I''m not worried about getting an animal that isn''t fixed. The declawing thing...I hate that people do that to their animals. I just was worried that because Lola is front declawed she''d be vulnerable. I''d prefer any animal I get not be declawed, but at the same time I know that I will provide a safe environment where they will always be indoors, so if I do happen to end up with another declawed kitty, they''ll have a good home. Above all, I want to make sure that Lola stays happy and healthy and gets a new friend that''s happy and healthy.

It''ll be a few weeks before I can get another kitty, but I''ll definitely post pictures once I do!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
princess - your instincts are wonderful, and you know I think Miss Lola is a doll
30.gif
30.gif

I''m sure that whatever kitty you end up with will be wonderful for you and Lola, and will be blessed to have such a loving, safe, indoor home
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results