shape
carat
color
clarity

New Blue Sapphire from Dana

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

My birthday is coming up next month, and I've been really itching to get my hands on a sapphire lately, so I finally took the plunge. I purchased the 1.47ct 6.2mm Sri Lanka round Sapphire from Dana during his most recent sale, the one that he dubbed "The Bomb's Little Sister" and just received it yesterday. Oh. My. Goodness. The color is as intense blue as he describes with a bit of violet I think, and the pictures don't even begin to do it justice. I tried taking a few this morning in slightly overcast weather which are sort of close to what I see. The sun just came out as I started to post and (omg) it just made me swoon. I don't have a whole lot of experience with sapphires, but I don't think this is a bad place to start.

And of course, here are some photos :)

I'd say the 2nd and 4th pictures are closest to the true color (the sapphire makes the blue spinel look so green.. which I never saw before haha). The stone has a slight window in the very center, but it closes up when I have it in a gem holder. Before it arrived, I thought about setting this into a halo pendant, but now I NEED to be able to look at it all the time on my hand. Anyway, what do you guys think? Could it be a keeper?

_15866.jpg

_15867.jpg

_15868.jpg

_15869.jpg

Reactions: AV_

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa :o whatever you set it in, it'll have amazing presence!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow wow wow wow.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No. I don't think you should keep it -- you can send it to me & I'LL keep it. :love: It is just beautiful!! Definitely a ring where you can commune with it day after day!

--- Laurie

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's a phenomenal place to start - the blue is jumping out from my computer screen at me - it will be gorgeous as a ring!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour pops at me, great find, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the gorgeous glowing blue sapphire! What a nice birthday present. Looks like a keeper to me! :appl:

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Oh that color! Gorgeous stone! :appl:

Oh, and of course, if you ever get tired of looking at it, add me to the list of people who would love to babysit it for you. :Up_to_something:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Yoo Hoo!!

That stone is calling to me! What a gorgeous blue. Thanks for comparing to the spinel. It really shows off the sapphire color. Keep us updated when you set it. :love:

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
wow Wow WOW! Congratulations, that sapphire is beautiful!!!! :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that really is a gorgeous color!! :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful and sure looks like a vivid stone to me. :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! It looks Luke it would glow in the dark! So pretty!

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the compliments guys, I am really enjoying the stone so far 8)

I am toying with the idea of putting it in a white gold setting with pear sides since I already have several halo rings. But at 6.2mm, I think it would really help with the physical presence of the stone. Was planning to stop by ID Jewelry next week during my lunch break to see what they have, so we'll see!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Wooooooow

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Holy crap, that's gorgeous! :shock:

That is a world class stone! :love: :love: :cheeky: :cheeky:

If Dana took better pics, that stone would have sold a long time ago. Not to me, I can't afford it, but it would have been gone in a flash. His descriptions are always pretty accurate, though, and if he thinks it's nice it usually is.

Gorgeous thing, wear it in health. :appl: :appl: :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My oh my!!! I think I'm in love...That is flat out gorgeous.

I love the comparison pic next to the spinel too. It really shows the difference very well. (Coincidentally, I also have a VERY similar blue spinel to yours - cut by Barry, similar size range (mine is 6.5 mm), and what looks to be very similar coloring. In a somewhat further coincidence, I own a 6.4ish mm round blue sapphire that I also got from Dana, lol. But mine is nowhere near yours in saturation).

Anyway...I just had to post to say congrats on that sapphire, bc it is a beauty. Can't wait to see how you set it!!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
glorious color on that sapphire. ooh la la.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it is just perfect. Congratulations on your great find!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! :-o That stone is so blue it almost looks fake. What a stunner! I vote for a vintage art deco setting in platinum to let the colour really shine. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire and it will look fabulous in whatever setting you put it in.

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
WOW. That is seriously intense! Nice find!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Now that is BLUE! Can I be your little sister and borrow it?

:naughty:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Holy Moly! That's amazing, and yes, I'd want to look at it ALL the time, too! The spinel is also very pretty, but should probably never be worn at the same time as that sapphire, haha!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous!!

sunnybunny

Rough_Rock
WOW that sapphire is awesome, it looks like it has a neon glow to it. I think either a ring or pendant would be amazing.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
I've been sneaking the sapphire into work so I can stare at it secretly from my purse and in the elevators where we have FABULOUS overhead lighting. I think the sapphire was really photogenic when I took the pictures (or my phone loves it too) - the stone is intense blue in person but can be a bit dark depending on the lighting. If the pavilion doesn't have anything obstructing it though, it seems to suck up all the light around it and just gives oozes blue. Definitely don't want to bezel it for that reason and am thinking I should look at settings that let in more light. The cutting isn't precision, but the color.. oh the color :love:

Having a hard time thinking of what type of setting to put it in. I wish it were big enough for athenaworth's SN Queens art deco setting, which I'm really digging right now, or a similar Singlestone ring (3rd picture on page 4):
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/adopted-oec-sn-queens-setting-perfection.188475/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/adopted-oec-sn-queens-setting-perfection.188475/[/URL]
http://singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=1604&startRow=3

I don't really want to get another halo, but I do want some sort of sidestones or interesting metalwork, as it'll be a right had ring. Do you experts have any suggestions on where to look?

Definitely before joining PS, I only ever considered getting solitaire settings, but you guys have opened my eyes to so many more styles with your gorgeous shinies!

Reactions: AV_

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
So yesterday, I stopped by ID Jewelry during lunch and Yekeutiel had just gotten some new settings from Gabriel & Co. He showed me a cute setting very similar to the SN Queen one (but less leaf detail) which I almost went with, but I asked to see some more. Then he brought out this ring from their Amavida line and I knew it was the one:

I took a night to think about it, and I really couldn't get it out of my mind, so this morning I went straight back to the store and left my sapphire with Yekeutiel to have it set. Picked it up later that afternoon and the ring is just PERFECT. I got it in platinum and am loving the feel of it so far. Tried to take a few shots with my phone but it's already dark outside. When the sun is up, of course I'll try again, but I wanted to share these few for now :)

amavida10044.png

sapph6.jpg

sapph7.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow so fast!

Looks beautiful!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hurray!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results