shape
carat
color
clarity

New Berry stones...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
And he had one I have been searching for for months....so yes, I bought two stones in one week.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
do tell!!!

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 10:42:30 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
This one
that''s the one i thought! :)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 10:43:29 PM
Author: karee888

This one

that''s the one i thought! :)
only a few of the new ones posted here sold :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I see, are you just looking?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 10:45:31 PM
I see, are you just looking?
i always look :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, so do I. I can't wait to see this stone.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
did you get the malaya garnet?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
No, I am wondering who got that one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lt,
What’s that right purple looking stone? You’ve bought it?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 8:29:04 AM
Author: Chrono
Lt,

The stone I put a picture up of is a 5x6 mm 0.8 ct pink/red spinel. I asked around to a few vendors several months ago and nobody had one. So when this one came up I bought it. I at least want to see it in person, since every time I see one of these smaller spinels the sell before I can take a look.

ETA: The other stone I bought this week is the ruby, which I already have. But I am debating on if I should keep it or not.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 9:27:32 AM

Lt,

The stone I put a picture up of is a 5x6 mm 0.8 ct pink/red spinel. I asked around to a few vendors several months ago and nobody had one. So when this one came up I bought it. I at least want to see it in person, since every time I see one of these smaller spinels the sell before I can take a look.

ETA: The other stone I bought this week is the ruby, which I already have. But I am debating on if I should keep it or not.
I''m curious about the ruby. Is it red under the UV? Is the color or the size a problem for you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 10:48:42 AM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 7/13/2009 9:27:32 AM

Lt,

I''m curious about the ruby. Is it red under the UV? Is the color or the size a problem for you?
Me too; I wonder if it fluorescences. Is it too dark for you? Or too purple? Or something else?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one
another pretty gem.
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Chrono,

For the money, I think it is a fine ruby. It is a bit dark, but when you get it loose under the fingers, it displays wonderful brilliance. It is more of a money issue than a stone issue. I would rather have a pink spinel right now. I have 10 days from Sat to decide on the ruby. So I am going to wait for the spinal to come and than make a decision.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I think it might be a little too dark for my tastes. I want a ruby, but I might be so picky that I will have to save for one that will cost more

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl:

See my post above. I want to clarify, the ruby is not as purple as it photographs. I think the color is better in real life. It only starts to look purple under direct sunlight. It is more red in all other lighting situations. When I first saw this stone, my first reaction was "this really looks like a ruby." Regardless, I didn't mind the purple color at all.

The bigger issue is that I really wanted to bezel it for my stackers, and it is way too dark for that. It is too dark in the cotton! This ruby really needs an open prong setting. With that kind of setting, I think it will be beautiful because it shows a great red brilliance, probably 80% or so. It is more the cost of getting a setting it would look good in. But with all my other projects, I don't know how long it would just sit. Especially since it is honestly not one of my favorites, so I would not make it a priority.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 2:39:08 PM
Chrono,

For the money, I think it is a fine ruby. It is a bit dark, but when you get it loose under the fingers, it displays wonderful brilliance. It is more of a money issue than a stone issue. I would rather have a pink spinel right now. I have 10 days from Sat to decide on the ruby. So I am going to wait for the spinal to come and than make a decision.

ETA: Now that I think about it, I think it might be a little too dark for my tastes. I want a ruby, but I might be so picky that I will have to save for one that will cost more
Can you tell us how it looks in the sun? If it glows red under the UV, you should see a more glowy red color. I take it you don't have a UV lamp.

ETA: I see your response above. I have a Burmese ruby that shifts to a bit more raspberry color in the sun, but I wouldn't call it a purple stone. I think this one is probably darker than mine, as you describe. Thanks.

ETA2: I half-bezeled my ruby to allow more light into the stone. It can still be stacked, but you may not want that look.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I have a UV lamp

In the sun it look most like the picture. It is a pink/purple/red color and it glows a pink/red I guess.

In indirect light (inside with windows open, no lamps on) it is more of a dark red with some red brillance

I have a heating spotlight in my bathroom, and it gives off the same look as being in the sun

Sorry if this is not helpful

ETA: Either I never learned this or forgot. Why do people like to know what a ruby does under UV light?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 3:17:18 PM
I don''t think I have a UV lamp

In the sun it look most like the picture. It is a pink/purple/red color and it glows a pink/red I guess.

In indirect light (inside with windows open, no lamps on) it is more of a dark red with some red brillance

I have a heating spotlight in my bathroom, and it gives off the same look as being in the sun

Sorry if this is not helpful

ETA: Either I never learned this or forgot. Why do people like to know what a ruby does under UV light?
I''m sure others can give a more technical answer, but strong red fluorescence just kicks the red color up a notch. And, as you know, colored stones are all about the color.
2.gif
It also gives some clues about the origin of the stone, and some places have a finer pedigree than others.

I''ll be interested in how you like the spinel. I looked at a number of fine pink spinel at Richard Homer''s recent round table, and I find the colors a bit steely for my taste. Best to collect what you love.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, having red fluorescence gives the ruby that red glowy look.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
So it is a desirable thing?

I will ask for opinions of the spinal when I get it. It should be coming on Wednesday :).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 4:21:08 PM

I will ask for opinions of the spinal when I get it. It should be coming on Wednesday :).
Yes. This is the same reason I look for red/pink fluorescence in my red spinels too.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:29:40 PM
Date: 7/13/2009 4:21:08 PM

Yes. This is the same reason I look for red/pink fluorescence in my red spinels too.

Thanks. When I take pics of the spinel, I will take a pic of that ruby under the light in my bathroom. It is the closest thing to the sunlight (I don''t feel safe taking pics of my stone in the open concrete courtyard).

BTW, since Flygirl mentioned origin, it is from Songea, Tanzania. Berry said he acquired it the late 80''s and he sent the stone to be heated in 89.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ltl- The new spinel looks really pretty. I bet it is a lot brighter than the ruby.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Icekid,

I can''t wait to see it in person to see how bright it is.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I missed alot of cool threads while I was on vacation. LOVELY spinel you have arriving yesterday! Any photos yet?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Can we see pictures of the ruby? I love rubies! Its my birthstone and I''ve been hunting for a good one for ages. For some reason though, not a whole lot of PS''ers have them.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
szh07 - I started a thread for the ruby, you can look at it here

Chrono and Flygirl - here are a couple pics of the ruby under the bathroom spot like that makes the ruby the same as the sun. It lights up a bit brighter than this but you get the idea.

IMG_ruby1209.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results