shape
carat
color
clarity

new appraisal question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akameme

Rough_Rock
Ok - I''ve read some of the posts on the Blue Nile Appraisal thread - but I got a little lost in how dense they were.

Here is my question. We are going downtown (LA) to have our loose diamond set. The place doing the setting is offering to do the diamond appraisal for free as part of the setting. Since he didn''t sell us the diamond, he is "impartial."

Do folks think it''s important to get a separate independent appraisal before the diamond is set? Intiailly we had planned to, also to make sure he doesn''t switch the diamond (not this guy personally, just folks in general), but since we can "watch" him set it, I''m less concerend about "switching."

Please advise.

:)
Miriam

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It depends on what you''re looking for in an appraisal. Your likely to get what you pay for in a "free" appraisal. If you''re looking for more than that, you might check out what some of the independents in your area offer.

If the diamond you buy is a "mainline" diamond, a simple appraisal might cover you. If it is a "premium" stone, you might want to invest a few bucks to have it properly documented.

Make sure the person doing the appraising is an experienced gemologist.

akameme

Rough_Rock
Thanks - what is a mainline stone vs. premium?
It''s just a 1.23 c round off blue nile.

The guy offering the free appraisal is doing it in connection with us getting the stone set and he is a gemologist.

Does that change anything?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A mainline stone would be a diamond of average color, clarity and cut. A premium stone would be a diamond of exceptional color, clarity and cut.

The fact the fellow is a gemologist is a definite plus. Ask him if he can furnish you with the following information:

Measurements
Color
Fluorescence
Clarity
Treatments
Cut Class (AGS or AGA)
Total Depth
Table Size
Crown Angle
Crown Height
Pavilion Angle
Pavilion Depth
Girdle thickness
Culet Size
Symmetry
Polish
Pictures

Alternatively, if this information is furnished by Blue Nile and the stone is accomanied by a report from a major laboratory, you could have the appraiser work off that information with his own comments and impressions, along with an insurance replacement value.

akameme

Rough_Rock
We got most of the info from Blue Nile - it came with a GIA cert + an AGS report. I''ll call and ask him what information he provides.

Initially, our plan was to get an evaluation of the stone prior to setting it & confirm it''s the same stone - but I"m feeling more happy with the stone (assuming there are no glaring problems) and I doubt BN does the "bait and switch."

But the guy who we are going to do the setting with seems to have pretty good creditentials (sp?) and was recommended by someone off this forum.

We are going to call our insurance company tomorrow to make sure they are fine with an apprasial by the person who does the setting since he didn''t sell us the diamond. If they are cool with it, we may cancel our separate appraisal appointment.

Miriam

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results