shape
carat
color
clarity

New Apatite 1.63- thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You know that feeling you get when you should have looked before you jumped? I think I have that with this stone. I saw the color and fell head over heals in love. I wanted this speicific color blue/green stone to set in a LOGR Legacy setting. So I bought it without thinking twice.

Now I''m thinking. I don''t love that it is heated. I try to not buy heated stones but really the price was excellent and as it is going into a LOGR I feel that is really the only CON against it. However I do wish I had emailed the person some additional questions. I guess I will just have to get it and I will either love it or hate it...

SPECS:
Clarity: Almost Loupe Clean
Cut: Radiant Cut
Number of pieces: 1
Origin: Madagascar
Shape: Cushion
Size: 6.70 x 6.50 x 5.30 mm ( LxWxD )
Treatment: Heated

apatiteSarah.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Instead of being concerned about the heat treatment you should be concerned about how soft Apatite is (it''s only a 5 on the moh''s scale) and how difficult it could be to set, not to mention wearing it in a ring.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may very well change your mind when you see it in person. I don''t mind heating on certain stones. Blue zircons which are gorgeous are always heated. I''m good with that. Topaz, sapphires are commonly heated and I''m also ok with that too. I''m not a ruby fan but its pretty commonly heated too.

But I get what you''re saying about jumping before thinking. I''ve done it more than once, and sometimes its a small regret, sometimes its a pleasant suprise.

To me the color looks good and it looks relatively clean and decently cut. Apatite however is soft so it may be quite a hassle to set. Just make sure your jeweler is ok with soft stones (some won''t)

-A

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize it was such a soft stone
20.gif
grrr...well I like the color so hopefully it will work out. I''m hard on my rings that I wear religiously but this would just be once in a while. I live in Asia since we are currently stationed overseas. My husband and I are going to Hong Kong at the end of the month so I''m sure I will find a jewerly to set it so I don''t think that should be a huge problem.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
apatite is not only soft, but is the most brittle stone that I've ever attempted to set. ( my success rate with these is around 75%, nothing else makes me sweat like these do). The darn things will just blow apart if you just sneeze at them. I'd recommend using this only in a pendant as it's likely to mysteriously disappear one day if you try setting it in a ring. Not to rain on your parade, but putting this in a ring will be a waste of time and money. They are pretty though aren't they ?

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so love apatite too....as it looked like a nice/inexpensive stone in place of a paraba, however, I knew the reason they were not so expensive may be due to there softness. As Micheal E said, I would set it in a pendant, however, if Michael (who is a Master Jeweler) is "sweats" trying to set these stones I think your best to keep it as a nice "collection" stone if it was too expensive to take a chance on setting it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apatites also have an extremely low RI, so they look very glass like. Pretty color though. I have a little trillion apatite in my collection, it will always remain unset.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Well this thread is just getting depressing now...I guess I will have to see what it looks like when it gets here....however I have learned my lesson to not buy anything that I don''t know much about before posting for the experts to weight in on...how frustrated I am now....
38.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''m always bringing in new colored stones to show to my jeweler. One day, out of the blue, he told me to never bring him any apatite to set. He said it is getting popular due to the pretty blue color, but that setting it is next to impossible. So, I guess I have been forewarned about this stuff.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well all is not lost. Pendant or earrings perhaps? I know my jewler set one as a pendant but he charged a whole lot to do it!

If its not too late, maybe you can cancel the sale. There are quite a lot of stones that are really soft, one of my favorites, sphene is one of them. I knew that before purchasing, so I doubt I will set many of the ones I have. I talked my jeweler into setting one into a pendant but he''s got to approve of the setting first (his stipulation).

-A

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 9:29:27 PM
Author: Arcadian
Well all is not lost. Pendant or earrings perhaps? I know my jewler set one as a pendant but he charged a whole lot to do it!

If its not too late, maybe you can cancel the sale. There are quite a lot of stones that are really soft, one of my favorites, sphene is one of them. I knew that before purchasing, so I doubt I will set many of the ones I have. I talked my jeweler into setting one into a pendant but he''s got to approve of the setting first (his stipulation).

-A
I just emailed them to request to cancel it. Such a shame because I''m totally in love with that color, but i guess I will have to wait. I personally like to set my stones and wear them, so if it soft and probably not going to make it very long there is really no point. So sad....
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some zircons are that color. Still a soft stone, but settable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know many setters who won’t even touch apatite for earring or pendant settings. I’m fine with heat treatment for most gemstones but not all. Apatite has a huge fan base for the colour and very low price point, but unfortunately, many are unaware of its softness and brittleness. I hope you’ll be able to cancel your sale.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I do like the cut and colour but I would be concerned about the softness.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a more positive note ............ yes, it is a soft stone but oh boy is it pretty! Here are a few of mine. As you can see, I have rings and pendants and honestly, I do wear them (about once a month) and I make sure I''m careful with them. I think you''ll love it when you see it. If not, AJS have a brilliant returns policy and I''m in the UK and have returned stuff from here with no problem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 2:46:59 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
On a more positive note ............ yes, it is a soft stone but oh boy is it pretty! Here are a few of mine. As you can see, I have rings and pendants and honestly, I do wear them (about once a month) and I make sure I''m careful with them. I think you''ll love it when you see it. If not, AJS have a brilliant returns policy and I''m in the UK and have returned stuff from here with no problem.
LD,
Did your benchperson set them for you, or did you purchase them already set?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you see the blue and greens? This stone is great for sparkle!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one - this is a big pendant - can''t remember the carat weight but it''s big!!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry TL, just seen your message. In answer to your question .......... both! I''ve taken a big deep breath and realised it was risky but the gemstone itself is not too pricey so I thought it worth the risk. I would only use somebody I trust to set them though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD those are GORGEOUS!
30.gif

My jeweler has set apatite, he just charges an arm and a leg to do so. Most of my stones he charges 50 bucks. In order for him to set something like my sphene, its triple that and he has a say in what type of setting.

Some, like Chrono noted, won''t touch the stuff at all. I think it just depends on the relationship you have with your guy/gal.

-A

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a besutifully colored stone!!!!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Would it make a difference if the apatite was prong or bezel set? Either in terms of the ease of setting it, or the ease of wearing it? Just to clarify, this is for earrings/pendant only.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have talked to jewelers who have no problem setting them, and talked with others who have had nothing but problems.
One told me she set the stone no problem, but when she steam cleaned it, it all fell apart. So stay out of the steam, and find someone who has experience setting them.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a lovely color, if the cancellation doesn''t go through, it wouldn''t make a bad "collection" stone. My tourmaline is a very similar color, and I haven''t quite found the right setting for it, but I still like to play with it and admire it loose.
9.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 8:23:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Apatites also have an extremely low RI, so they look very glass like. Pretty color though. I have a little trillion apatite in my collection, it will always remain unset.
Well, apatite is certainly not really high on the RI scale, but it''s higher than some very respectable gemstones (tourmaline, topaz and beryl). There are some strikes against apatite, but I don''t think a low RI is one of the them.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline and apatite have a similar RI, so I stand corrected. I guess you''re right, but for some reason, these stones still look very glass like to me. I have a well cut one, and it does not sparkle/scintillate like my tourmalines.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
In gemology, many gem varieties are described as having a "vitreous" luster. "Vitreous" means "glass-like." I don''t think it''s used pejoratively.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results