shape
carat
color
clarity

new 4.70 ct amethyst from Gary Braun!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Just about a couple of weeks ago, I saw (with help from a post from Chrono!) an amethyst that Gary Braun over at finewater gems had sold. I'd recently been ammy hunting, and was disappointed to see that Gary's gem was sold before I even had a chance to view it, lol.

Chrono and a couple of other boardies encouraged me to contact Gary, to see if he had any of the same rough with which to cut something similar. I did, and he did. Part of why I started a new thread here rather than just adding this gem to my usual thread (where I posy my new additions) is that I felt like it deserved its' pwn thread, and I also wanted to call attention to Gary bc I received what I considered to be excellent service from him.

I've now purchased gems from a few of the recommended vendors, and I've noticed that some vendors definitely have better customer service than others. I was VERY pleased with my entire experience with Gary, so I wanted to share.

I began by asking him about what ammy rough he had available, and I told him that I wanted to stay within a budget of $250 for this gem if possible. (The other ammy that he'd just sold was $275). Gary was quick to reply and very agreeable; he said that he would choose out a nice piece and that I should be able to get a gem within the same general size parameters as the one he had just sold. I think I said something to him about wanting it at least 2.5 cts but that anything over that would be lovely.

Gary said that he was in the middle of house renos and that it may take 2-3 weeks to get it finished up. So, I was suitably surprised when I had a message from him almost exactly one week later saying that the gem was complete and ready to ship!! He sent over completed pictures, I paid the balance owed, and he shipped it the very next morning. I had the gem in hand approx. 10-11 days after placing my commission with him! He answered all messages and questions very promptly and courteously. And I also very much appreciate being treated so well when I'm a new customer buying a relatively quite inexpensive gem, when all is said and done. that type of thing is important to me.

And the BEST part...my gem turned out to be a wonderful 4.70 cts! I was THRILLED at the larger size, and Gary stuck to the price he had quoted me, not asking me to pay any more, even though the rough yielded a good carat or more over what I was expecting in size.

Onto the gem specs and pics. It's Gary's specialty round cut, 4.70 cts, 11 mm across and the depth was approx. 7.8 mm I believe? The rough is older, Namibian stock. The gem looks quite different when viewed in different lighting - showing noticeable blue tones in daylight, but in indoor lighting I usually see more of the very deep purple with the reddish tints, etc.

First are Gary's pics:

_9489.jpg

_9490.jpg

_9491.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
very Very VERY lovely! congrats!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
My pics:

_9492.jpg

_9493.jpg

ammy3.jpg

ammy4.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
pics...some in different lighting, I think I got some of the ones that show the blue tones, I hope anyway, lol

ammy5.jpg

ammy6.jpg

ammy7.jpg

ammy8.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I like this last one...I took about 50 more than this and I am actually in a hurry to get these up as my DH is practically glaring at me to get off the computer so we cab watch a movie, lol!! I may add more later if there isn't enough variation in these.

ammyone.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1377925375|3512760 said:
very Very VERY lovely! congrats!

Thank you so much!! I really love it - it's my first "nice" ammy :) And Gary was a total pro! I may need to take more pics in natural lighting though, it looks most of the ones I posted here are indoors, and it really does look different as the lighting varies. Lovely stone!

I'm now thinking I'd like to get a great peridot for my next project...if anyone has seen anything lovely, feel free to post it in here!!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I'll second that Gary is very nice to deal with and does beautiful work!

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ammy Katharath! Congrats! :appl:

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I totally agree, such a beautiful amethyst! Please post pictures once you set it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just want to chime in and say its a beauty. I love amethyst. Such beauty for the price. You did good!

Annette

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is beeeeautiful! I really love it -- gorgeous cutting to bring out the color(s). An heirloom to be sure!

--- Laurie

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all SO much! I appreciate all the nice comments. It's actually my largest gem to own so far, and I absolutely love the deep color and stunning cut. I'm so pleased everything came out so well with this gem :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! I love the blue tones in what I believe are the daylight shots? and I love its high crown. The profile shot is almost as awesome as the head on shots because its so well cut. This will be a departure for you since so many of your rings have small stones...or is it slated for something else? :naughty:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm not planning a ring for it. You're right, that would be very different for me to go that large for a ring - I don't think I could do it! Right now I'm not really planning anything for it, but I'm leaning towards pendant for if/when I do set it. I've become obsessed with loose gems lately, to the point that I haven't been setting anything at all. It's very strange behavior for me; when I started out collecting, I never imagined that I would enjoy owning unset gems so much. But I really do. Part of what I like is that feeling of possibilities - before a gem is set, it feels like anything is still possible, you know?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.....so YUMMY! :lickout: I saw this thread over the weekend but was too swamped to post and I felt that it deserved a good look and drool session before I typed my response. Gorgeous red + blue modifiers, huge size and the cutting is superb! Love the high crown and extra facets.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Great color! It's also a lot larger than I'd prefer for a ring, but it would look great in a pendant.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono and jstarfireb!!

I felt kind of bad about the pics on this one - I think they're ok, but I wasn't able to get a lot of really good ones. At least I have Gary's pics to fall back on, lol. I was in a rush when I posted this thread initially (you can tell by all of the spelling errors!) and I should've taken my time a bit more. I might post what I feel are some better pics soon. It's a fun gem to photograph bc it's so big and such a lovely color and cut. I really, really love the cut! I have a real love for high crowns and smallish tables.

It's funny bc I have only recently begun to think a lot more about tables, crowns, the face up of a stone vs the total weight, etc. it really helps as a collector to get a good idea of how many mm a stone should face up for a 1 ct vs a 2 ct stone, etc. Over the last year I've begun to think more and more about these things so that they are just naturally present in my mind when I'm evaluating a gem. I think I've come a long way in the learning process but I still have quite a ways to go!

For example: I recently won an auction off eBay from Litnon and it was for this very pretty pinkish purplish spinel that was almost 2 cts (1.92 I think?). I noticed that it faced up very small for the dimensions, so I was expecting to see a very native cut table (the table was not pictured) - and that is what I got, lol. It's the most native cut table I've personally ever seen. I've become used to buying well cut stones, so it actually made me laugh to see it. It looks so silly! Sort of like a big fat long asymmetrical cone. I was expecting something of the sort so it wasn't a complete surprise, and I'm fine with what I paid for it. I bought with the thought of having it recut, and I think it's a good candidate.

Anyway...sorry for the off topic...I might post some comparison pics of it here just for fun! That's why I thought of it, I couldn't help comparing Gary's amazing cut to my native cut roval spinel :). (I got them both right at the same time).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Katharath!! that's GORGEOUS!! I love the deep rich purple colour and how it changes in the lighting - medium to dark but w flashes of pink and mauve (to my eye, on my monitor!)

Its a BEAUTY!! Wow!!! Not a ring, huh??? too bad - something that huge and gorgeous, I'd want to be looking at it all day long - HALO it even!! :lol: Ok - perhaps overkill, but it is a fabulous stone! I am totally enamoured by it... hmmm... I'm very intrigued ;))

Enjoy :bigsmile:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi|1378232723|3514086 said:
oh Katharath!! that's GORGEOUS!! I love the deep rich purple colour and how it changes in the lighting - medium to dark but w flashes of pink and mauve (to my eye, on my monitor!)

Its a BEAUTY!! Wow!!! Not a ring, huh??? too bad - something that huge and gorgeous, I'd want to be looking at it all day long - HALO it even!! :lol: Ok - perhaps overkill, but it is a fabulous stone! I am totally enamoured by it... hmmm... I'm very intrigued ;))

Enjoy :bigsmile:

Lol!! Thank you so much, I love your enthusiasm!!

I love owning larger gems but I just can't wear one quite this big in a ring, it's too much for me :). I think a pendant would look so gorgeous...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the rich color!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I like that there's a fair amount of blue in it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
katharath said:
I've become obsessed with loose gems lately, to the point that I haven't been setting anything at all. Part of what I like is that feeling of possibilities - before a gem is set, it feels like anything is still possible, you know?

Perfect expression of the feeling, Katharath! I'm exactly the same way. Having them to look at, feel, and imagine about is enough sometimes.

--- Laurie

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Lisa- I love it as well, thanks :)

Greg - there is quite a lot of blue tone visible to me, and I really love that about this gem. I didn't expect that at all! I knew from Gary's description that it would be there, but I didn't know exactly what it would "mean" until I saw it in person, as this is the first truly nice amethyst I've ever owned. The blue is much more visible in daylight than in indoor lighting.

Laurie - I'm so glad you understand that feeling! I admit that I used to see people post about buying gems but not planning to set them, and I would think, "but how can you STAND it??". Lol, I had to have everything set. But now I completely get it. My collecting focus keeps shifting as time goes by, so maybe I'll change back to wanting to set everything at some point. I'm just going with the joy of collecting loose gems for now :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Here are some extra pics that I took. It's the ammy, then my tanzanite, then my sapphire. I just liked seeing the purple color going towards blue with these gems. Two pics are in indirect sunlight, and two are in indoor lighting. You can see a bit of blue in the sun pics and maybe a red flash in the indoor lighting (at least I hope you can! I could when I was taking the pics, anyway, lol). The indoor lighting may be more of a mixed lighting- I tried to keep all the sunlight out of it but some could have sneaked in and mixed in there as I just took these and it's daytime :)

sunlight pics first. Taken with my iphone, nothing done to pics.

trio4.jpg

trio3.jpg

trio1.jpg

trio2.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I guess the color "progression" is a bit odd in those last pics but I just ordered them by size. I'm honestly not really sure how the best way to order them is. The tanzy is pretty blue but looks a bit more purple in certain light, and the sapphire is certainly a darker blue than the tanzy...I don't know, just enjoy :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone! The cut and color are beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And enjoy the picture is what I am doing. Glad you understand the feeling of appreciating unset gems. It seems such a pity to have it pendant set yet not be able to stare at its beauty unless the chain is very long.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1378499940|3515863 said:
And enjoy the picture is what I am doing. Glad you understand the feeling of appreciating unset gems. It seems such a pity to have it pendant set yet not be able to stare at its beauty unless the chain is very long.

I know...and I do agree with you. I hardly ever set anything as pendants for that reason. I just know myself and I know that I'd probably never wear it if I set it in a ring, the size is too much for me. Awhile back I bought this lovely 10 mm faceted moonstone ring that I really liked; but I NEVER wore it! I mean not even one time. I tried it on, admired it, and put it in a box until I sold it at a loss. I did try to wear it a few times, but I always took it off right away. I just wasn't comfortable wearing such a large stone on my hand.

I actually do always wear fairly long chains for my pendants, generally nothing less than 20 inches (I own quite a few extenders too). It can look a bit odd I suppose, depending on the pendant style, but I don't care bc it means I can see my gems! That's also why I like long beaded necklaces so much, I won't generally wear short ones. I enjoy being able to see the beads (all of my gemstone beaded necklaces are between 30-36 inches except for one, I think, it's around 18).

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and glad you liked the pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results