shape
carat
color
clarity

Never seen an EGL Cert for Better Color Grades?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
I just realized that I do not think I have ever seen an overseas EGL graded diamond above an H grade. This seems like a bit of a strange phenomenon on the surface. However, I guess it means that only lower color grades get sent for EGL grading....with the hope that they will get the "benefit of the doubt"...huh?

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
interesting.
i hadn''t ever thought about it, but i do know that when i asked about the cert for my diamond, the vendor told me that he would never even consider sending a stone of the color/clarity that i selected to anywhere OTHER than GIA.

GemView

Shiny_Rock
From what I gather, International EGL diamond grading reports don''t compare to the U.S. EGL.
It’s not necessarily true, for that matter, that no below average stones are sent to the GIA and that no above average stones are sent to the EGL, or other such lab. The AGS, for example, is quickly gaining ground due to their strict grading standards.

I have an EGL US stone that is colorless (you can see how my F/SI1 looks even in low lighting below). It rates out well using diamond calc, HCA, etc. It''s an "Ideal Plus" and displays more fire — in my opinion — than any diamond I''ve had an opportunity to view outside the confines of Pricescope. I''m sure there are people who will ONLY consider a GIA report, but the bottom line is that your eye will never lie to you. If you compare enough diamonds, you will naturally gravitate toward higher quality cuts/colors.

If you have any doubts, take the diamond your eyes fall in love with to someone else for a second opinion — there are a lot GIA-graduate gemologists who do appraisals, for example — and to see if he/she agrees with the cert (assuming you do a blind comparison and don''t reveal what the existing report says the appraiser should expect to find :). Chances are, opinions will vary. Pricescope''s own diamond surveys/studies seem to vouch for that observation, too (http://grading.pricescope.com/ ).

I''m happy with what my fiancé gave me — and if you are happy with what you get/find, that''s all that counts (well, almost all that counts — never compromise cut!).

1.gif

GemView_HandShot.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2006 7:58:45 PM
Author:Defender
I just realized that I do not think I have ever seen an overseas EGL graded diamond above an H grade. This seems like a bit of a strange phenomenon on the surface. However, I guess it means that only lower color grades get sent for EGL grading....with the hope that they will get the ''benefit of the doubt''...huh?
Not true...

I have seen plenty of "overseas" EGL reports with H plus color grades...

It could be that where you are shoping around..., they keep mostly lower color graded diamond with EGL reports...

Interesting!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the database here there are about as many D-F/If-VS2 graded diamonds with EGL reports as with AGS (between half carat and three carat counted). And there is no shortage of high grades with EGL reports in general, as much as I can tell.

Defender

Shiny_Rock
I stand corrected, but in my online shopping for emeralds in the range of 2.5 to 3 carat emerald cuts, I have seen very few, if any, EGL listings above an H. The one EGL H graded stone that I had "called in" was more like a K in real life too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought EVERYTHING sent to EGL came back D IF.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results