shape
carat
color
clarity

Neti Pot?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

I Love My Sailor

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone use a neti pot? How does it work and what is your experience using one? would you recommend one and why?

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I use one whenever I''ve got any kind of cold/flu/sinus infection. I really think it helps clear out the congestion, and I like that it''s just salt/bicarb solution so you''re not using a ton of meds.

I bought mine at walmart and it was a kit that had little packets of the salt solution in it, so all I have to do is mix up half of a packet with warm water and stir, and then you pour it in one nostril and as long as you have your head tilted correctly the solution flows up into your sinuses and out the other nostril. Basically the trick is to make sure your forehead is not higher than your chin - look at the diagrams that come with the neti pot for better description. Then I repeat on the other side. It''s a strange sensation the first couple times you do it, but you get used to it. Oh and they will also recommend that you start with a lower solution of salt (like 1/4 a packet/pot) definitely do this so you get used to it.

The whole idea of the neti pot totally grosses out my FI, so we''ve agreed I will never use it in front of him. I would definitely recommend it though!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I use it when I have sinus infection coming on and during.

I LOVE this thing.

We got mine at Walgreen's, and it came in the same box/packet thing that steph's did. About $20, I think, and it came with like 20 solution packets. Have had it over a year, and still haven't used all of the packets.
Very easy to use, but also like steph, I am not allowed to do it in front of DH.
3.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My ENT swears by them and made me run out and buy one. I do use it sometimes (not as often as my doctor would like) and I see some results. I do not see any immediate results - I don''t feel at all better after using it like some people do. However, I think it may help me get over colds faster and without becoming sinus infections, and for that it''s worth using.

My biggest issue with it is that my nose if often entirely clogged up and if there''s no way for the water to get through your sinuses, it''s not really effective. So I get frustrated that when I''m at my worst, it doesn''t do a darn thing.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
LOVE MY NETI POT DURING ALLERGY SEASON! Totally gets rid of ''em!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use mine every couple of days. B uses it every day. It is still uncomfortable for me, but it is MUCH better than any allergies or sinus infections.

One thing that helps is to use warm water. Not hot. You want it to be comfortable to touch. Too cold and it is very uncomfortable. Too hot and you burn yourself. Something like baby/pet bath water.

I don''t use any salt. Just clear water.

My nose does get totally stuffed up sometimes. (not nearly as often as when I didn''t use this). What I do is pour the water in and let it go as far as it will on both sides. I repeat this about 3 times and then blow my nose. It doesn''t fix it, but it helps. Usually if it is that bad I netti pot 3 or 4 times a day.
It definitely helps clear it up faster than without it.

I highly suggest it for everyone. Especially if the person has problems with allergies or infections.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 1:20:21 PM
Author: TooPatient
Use mine every couple of days. B uses it every day. It is still uncomfortable for me, but it is MUCH better than any allergies or sinus infections.

One thing that helps is to use warm water. Not hot. You want it to be comfortable to touch. Too cold and it is very uncomfortable. Too hot and you burn yourself. Something like baby/pet bath water.

My nose does get totally stuffed up sometimes. (not nearly as often as when I didn''t use this). What I do is pour the water in and let it go as far as it will on both sides. I repeat this about 3 times and then blow my nose. It doesn''t fix it, but it helps. Usually if it is that bad I netti pot 3 or 4 times a day.

I highly suggest it for everyone. Especially if the person has problems with allergies or infections.
TP- Not sure if you know this, but you are supposed to use filtered water. So, instead of warming up bottled water, I boil tap water first, then pour into the pot to mix the salts in, and then let it sit for about 10-15 minutes too cool off a bit.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
They''re wonderful, but the first time I tried I thought I was literally going to drown. I nearly had a panic attack and had to remind myself that I could still breathe through my mouth.

Significantly cuts down on allergies!

missjae

Shiny_Rock
We use have and use the Neti Pot in our house and LOVE it. :)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 1:35:40 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 10/16/2009 1:20:21 PM
Author: TooPatient

TP- Not sure if you know this, but you are supposed to use filtered water. So, instead of warming up bottled water, I boil tap water first, then pour into the pot to mix the salts in, and then let it sit for about 10-15 minutes too cool off a bit.
Wow, Mere I didn''t know about using filtered water! I just use warm tap water and a small amt. of salt packet.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I asked about this awhile back - and I''m a total convert. I have really bad sinus issues (a sinus infection every time the seasons change), and I''ve been really good just taking a daily allergy pill and neti combined. I usually neti once a day (at night) sometimes in the morning as well if I''m really having problems. An issue I have though is that if I''m really stuffed up, the salt water will get stuck and not drain out my nose but rather head other places - like my throat, and a couple times I''ve felt pressure in one of my ears, which is freaky. But otherwise, it keeps my sinuses very happy, and knock on wood, I haven''t had a sinus infection yet this season (which I usually have by now, especially with the weather doing hula dances like it has been here).

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I use a neti-pot if I have a cold/sinus infection or when my allergies are acting up. It kind of hurts the first couple times, but definitely gets easier. I recommend it to anyone who suffers from allergies, even children are compliant (age 6 and up) and have good results.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use the big squeeze bottle rather than a neti pot because I find it easier. The directions say to use filtered or distilled water but it was really a pain. I can see using special water if you don''t have potable water or it''s just barely potable coming out of the tap. But I figure if water is safe enough to drink, it''s safe enough to put up your nose. I just use warm water from the tap and put the salt in from the packet. I haven''t had a problem in the 2 years I''ve been doing it, and it''s much faster than using filtered water and then heating it up.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
My yoga teacher taught my class how to neti -it''s realy wonderful for colds or allergies.

I neti at least once a week (no major allergies here) especialy if I''ve been doing anything dusty.

My Neti pot is the Professor Schmidt Jala-neti . I bought it from my yoga teacher. She had been on the search for the perfect neti pot for years, and settled on this kind to provide to her students.

It''s great because it''s made of cheerful bluel plastic so it can go in the dishwasher, and it comes with a little measuring scoop so you can make your own saline solution with salt and baking soda.

The baking soda buffers the water and the salt is used to match the salt concentration of the human body so there is no "water up the nose" feeling. My yoga teacher taught us to neti with warm water which is realy quite pleasant.

Neting makes me feel cleaner - like brushing your teeth, but for your nose.

9.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
My co-worker swears by her Neti-pot. I''m just glad I haven''t needed one. I feel like I would choke on the water. Everyone I know has nothing but good things to say about it.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 1:08:43 AM
Author: bebe

Date: 10/16/2009 1:35:40 PM
Author: meresal

Wow, Mere I didn''t know about using filtered water! I just use warm tap water and a small amt. of salt packet.
Ya, before we had a Brita Filter in the fridge, it was a bit of a pain to boil the tap water, then pour it, then let it cool, etc.

For me, I use filtered, because I just don''t like the idea of putting unfiltered water thru my nasal cavity. I dunno, probably nothing too wrong with it, but I just don''t like the idea. And, it says it on the box, so I''ll just go with that.
3.gif

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
The neti pot is something I''ve wanted to try for a while, and I finally got one yesterday. After two uses, once last night and again this morning, I figured out WHY they tell you to use boiled/distilled/bottled water. Regular tap water often has significant amounts of chlorine in it. It''s volatile enough that it comes off with boiling. You know that awful burn that pool water gives you when it gets up your nose?? Well, last night I let the water boil in the microwave for probably a full minute before stopping it and letting it cool to lukewarm, and for my first try I was AMAZED at how soothing/nice the neti pot felt. This morning I wasn''t so patient, and I let the water only boil for a few seconds before stopping the microwave. Well, 2nd time wasn''t NEARLY as pleasant! The chlorine burn made my eyes water, and I''m thankful I made the mistake the 2nd time instead of the first or I might not be so willing to continue using it. I don''t know how much variation there is in chlorine content from area to area, but for us it''s apparently high enough that boiling is a MUST.

All that said, I can actually breathe through my nose today!! I''m a convert.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
We have one too...I do use it but not regularly, it DOES help though...I use filtered water as well...my oldest son uses it quite a bit though. He has seasonal allergies and it helps a lot.

I wish I could get my friend to try it! She gets massive sinus headaches and migraines too...she keeps popping pills instead though. I''ve tried to explain that sinus drugs can make sinus problems WORSE, because they dry out the sinuses, but she insists they are fine to use...she uses them at least 5 times a month, which is a lot, IMO. I know they are considered ''safe'' but I''d much rather try a natural and healthy approach than popping pills all the time. Still working on her...
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results