shape
carat
color
clarity

Netflix - suggest movies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had Netflix for two years and then took a two year break from it. DH and I can''t think of much to add to our lists. We rarely rented movies or went to the movies when we didn''t have it.

I need some suggestions for movies. I like action, comedy, and chick flicks. I don''t like horror, most movies based on books, and chick flicks that are too over the top.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
We rent all the tv shows we''ve never seen. Its great! We start from the beginning of the series, no commercials, and less time than a movie. I''d recommend Rescue Me, 24, The Shield, The Wire, Boomtown, Lost, Dexter, Sopronos, Weeds..... You get the idea...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Do you do funny, sad and quirky all rolled up into one? I absolutely adore the movie "Everything Is Illuminated" (which is based off a book but I think I actually like the movie better), but it isn''t exactly a run-of-the-mill type of movie, I don''t think.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
We''ve been getting the Eddie Izzard comedy shows on DVD through Netflix - hilarious
9.gif
Also, I liked Eddie Izzard so much I had to get The Riches - DH thought it was too dark but I really like it and I''m slowly making my way through it on my own
2.gif

We also went back and got older movies - older musicals, English comedies (we LOVED Keeping Mum and Cold Comfort Farm), and if you''re into it, old classics like Hitchcock.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:08:53 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
We''ve been getting the Eddie Izzard comedy shows on DVD through Netflix - hilarious
9.gif
Also, I liked Eddie Izzard so much I had to get The Riches - DH thought it was too dark but I really like it and I''m slowly making my way through it on my own
2.gif

We also went back and got older movies - older musicals, English comedies (we LOVED Keeping Mum and Cold Comfort Farm), and if you''re into it, old classics like Hitchcock.
Hmm, do you know Simon Pegg, AmberG? He did a really good TV series (just 2 seasons total) back before he became famous called "Spaced" which is really funny (and quite strange). If you haven''t checked that out, I''d recommend it. Also, ''The IT Crowd'' is rather amusing as well...and ''Black Books''...and QI!! (Although that''s a comedy quiz show but it is so so so good, you will probably get hooked, it''s got Stephen Fry in it who''s awesome).

Ok, sorry, done now.
9.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I completely and thoroughly enjoyed the movie Once. It is an independent movie (which, when I heard that, kind of turned me off since I don''t normally watch indie movies) that is a mixture of drama, comedy, and chic flick. I HIGHLY recommend it if you haven''t seen it.
happyclappyguy.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love a good classic Movie
Sunset Blvd, Rearwindow, Gone with the Wind

The Bucketlist

P.S. I love You

27 Dresses

Pretty Woman

Little Women

I am Sam

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Gwen - I''ll have to check that out. DH is actually an even bigger Eddie Izzard fan than I am, so if I can find something else he likes as well, I''ll be really popular around our household
2.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We watched Dan in Real Life last night and loved it, that''s definitely a good one.

DH got the Baseball Series by Ken Burns...and surprisingly, I liked that too! Every now and then, we get documentaries. There was one about a girl who got pregnant and wanted to play HS basketball that I liked, one about Walmart that was really eye-opening, and of course Inconvenient Truth if you haven''t seen that. Netflix has an awesome section for docs.

Ditto to TV series...we love Arrested Development and Entourage, and I''m always tempted to get the early One Tree Hills because I''ve seen the later ones but not the early ones.

A friend of mine knew I love jewelry so she suggested A Price Over Rubies...a dark drama movie for sure, but pretty good.

Any old movie with Audrey Hepburn...I love Charade

I also get kid movies all the time. It''s embarrassing, but I love a good clean fairy-tale like story. Ella Enchanted was cute, loved Nanny McPhee

Becoming Jane - good one about Jane Austen

and there was one about Beatrix Potter that was really good too (but WAY more geared toward women, very much a period piece, DH did not enjoy it)

I rent "the classics" all the time, too - those never do well in theaters. So, An Ideal Husband, the Importance of Being Earnest, re-made Shakespeare (Love''s Labour Lost is fabulous), etc.

...and clearly I have the weirdest taste in movies ever. But I think that''s what''s fun about Netflix - I add stuff to my queue all the time that I''d never, ever spend the effort to actually drive to a rental place to get and certainly wouldn''t buy.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We belong to the Blockbuster Total Access plan, so we have a list going all the time too. I always have to have movies in my queue ready for them to send when we return one.

We just saw "Fool''s Gold"- it was so-so. Last night we saw "Definitely Maybe" which was very good. "The Brave One" was good, but not what you''d expect. "27 Dresses" was very light hearted and entertaininng. "The Bucket List" was a little heavy, but then it''s about terminally ill people. We loved "National Treasure- Book of Secrets" but we also loved the first one. "Over Her Dead Body", "Awake", "The Heartbreak Kid", and "Dedication" were all awful, but that''s what happens when you have to keep your list full.

A movie we never heard of before and I think it''s kind of old, "Life as a House" with Kevin Kline was very good. "Away From Her" was hard to watch, and "I Am Legend" was a definite "could have been missed" movie. "The Jane Austin Book Club" was wonderful! as was "Becoming Jane". Probably my favorite was "August Rush". You HAVE to see that one.

That''s all I can remember for now. On one hand, it''s great to have movies in the house all the time. On the other hand, you''re forced to see some dogs to keep your list alive!

I can''t wait to see the "Sex & the City" movie again. It''s been in my Blockbuster queue ever since it premiered in movie theaters.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you like funny satire, check out Thank You For Smoking! I laugh every time I see it.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
For Comedy:
Juno
Little Miss Sunshine

Not too Chicky, funny Chick Flick:
Closer (although this is pretty vulgar)
Love Actually

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE!!!!
36.gif

Hmmm, off the top of my head:

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
I second Juno & Little Miss Sunshine
The Sweetest Thing (Cameron Diaz, Selma Blair & Christina Applegate)
The Rock (Action w/Nicholas Cage)
Office Space (Comedy)
Sex & the City DVDs
True Lies
Sabrina (Julia Ormond remake w/Harrison Ford)
The Thomas Crowne Affair (Very sexy movie with Rene Russo and Pierce Brosnan)

I love movies!!! That''s just a short list!!!!
36.gif

wse

Rough_Rock
are you into foreign films?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many suggestions, thank you!

I had about 1/4 of these on my list already and added another 10 or so based on this list. Silly me hadn''t thought about TV shows. I''m actually in England, so my TV shows are a bit different, but I love Nevermind the Buzzcocks, QI, and Peep Show! I also added some Eddie Izzard, I''ve only seen about two of his performances, and some chick flicks - 27 Dresses and the like.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, I wasn''t thinking of older movies but I''m with Bliss, the new "Sabrina" is wonderful and romantic. One of my all time favorite movies is "Sense and Sensibility". I have to see it every couple of years and I love it every time I watch it.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 8:51:12 AM
Author: Addy

I had about 1/4 of these on my list already and added another 10 or so based on this list. Silly me hadn't thought about TV shows. I'm actually in England, so my TV shows are a bit different, but I love Nevermind the Buzzcocks, QI, and Peep Show! I also added some Eddie Izzard, I've only seen about two of his performances, and some chick flicks - 27 Dresses and the like.
Hmm, if you like Buzzcocks, you might also like 'Have I Got News For You?' and 'The Friday Night Project' which I think (according to Jeremy Clarkson on the newest Top Gear I've seen) is now 'The Sunday Night Project'?

Another one which I found really interesting was 'Who Do You Think You Are?' which is where famous Brits do a family ancestry search. It's really interesting, although I imagine mostly if you know the person doing the searching. I've only seen one, the one on Stephen Fry, and it was incredibly good. It gets kind of deep, so if you're looking for more lighthearted things, it might not be one to get, but all the same it was truly excellent. Very moving.

'Primeval' and 'Doctor Who' are good too, if you want something a bit more fun.
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2008 11:57:01 PM
Author: wse
are you into foreign films?

Not really, but that''s maybe because I haven''t found any brilliant ones. Any suggestions?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gwen, I love Dave. Love it. They do all the old QI, Have I Got New For You, Nevermind, Top Gear, and tons of others. I binge on it often!

And uh, the United Kingdom of Great Britain is going to deny me citizenship if I type this I''m sure, but I don''t like Doctor Who. Not even though the Doctor is very cute.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2008 8:52:22 AM
Author: gemgirl
Oh wow, I wasn''t thinking of older movies but I''m with Bliss, the new ''Sabrina'' is wonderful and romantic. One of my all time favorite movies is ''Sense and Sensibility''. I have to see it every couple of years and I love it every time I watch it.

I''ve never actually properly seen an old movie, but I put Breakfast at Tiffany''s on the top of my list. I''ve read the book which made me nervous because movies are never as good...but I loved it. More old movies (and remakes!) are on the list now.

wse

Rough_Rock
for foreign films... try..

-koi mil gaya
-kaho naa pyaar hai
-na tum jaano na hum

those are my 3 favorite foreign films... you might wanna try them in that order

if youre into heart felt animated movies.. try...
- grave of the fireflies
- my neighbor totoro
- spirited away

those 3 should leave you teary eyed and speechless

and here are other random ones that my fiance and i like...
- under the tuscan sun
- wait until dark
- breakfast at tiffanys
- amelie

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:31:40 AM
Gwen, I love Dave. Love it. They do all the old QI, Have I Got New For You, Nevermind, Top Gear, and tons of others. I binge on it often!

And uh, the United Kingdom of Great Britain is going to deny me citizenship if I type this I''m sure, but I don''t like Doctor Who. Not even though the Doctor is very cute.
Hahaha, yeah, David Tennant is totally adorable (although I still want to smack him sometimes--so arrogant!). J is a complete Doctor Who fanwhore (like, borderline ridiculous at times), so I got into it initially just because he was *so* gosh darn excited about it and wanted to share it with me. I enjoy it, but mostly for the little romantic bits (which simultaneously makes him groan and happy that it keeps me watching
3.gif
).

I love Dave too and feel like I''ve been able to catch up on about half the Top Gears in existence because of that channel. I think most of what I watch of Brit TV is on there...Oh! Is ''Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps'' on Dave? I can''t remember. I don''t have a TV here at school, but I''ve watched some episodes online via the BBC iPlayer, which is cool. That''s a fun show too. Originally created and written by a 17-year-old or something, I think?

Getting out of UK-land for a bit, have you ever watched ''The West Wing?'' It seems you''ve got similar taste to mine and I adore this show--it''s really quite funny if you aren''t put off by the political premise of the show. It''s probably my favourite series ever, and I''ve gotten J into it. Aaron Sorkin wrote it (well, the first 4 seasons, which are the best), and he also did ''Sportsnight'' which is really good if you haven''t seen that either.

Ok! I''ll stop hounding you now.
3.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t believe you said David was arrogant! Lies! He''s too cute to be arrogant. Right? Say it ain''t so!

I have seen The West Wing, but only a bit. I''ll check if I can get it over here. Yay for Netflix!

All you need is Dave, Dave, Dave is all you need (and BBCi player and Netflix).

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 9:33:41 AM

I''ve never actually properly seen an old movie, but I put Breakfast at Tiffany''s on the top of my list. I''ve read the book which made me nervous because movies are never as good...but I loved it. More old movies (and remakes!) are on the list now.

Breakfast at Tiffany''s is precious! I hope you like it.

Other fantastic older movies:

Charade
To Catch a Thief
Harvey
The Sting

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 8:51:12 AM

I had about 1/4 of these on my list already and added another 10 or so based on this list. Silly me hadn''t thought about TV shows. I''m actually in England, so my TV shows are a bit different, but I love Nevermind the Buzzcocks, QI, and Peep Show! I also added some Eddie Izzard, I''ve only seen about two of his performances, and some chick flicks - 27 Dresses and the like.

We followed a British tv series called MI-5. It was very good - like a British 24.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2008 10:34:02 AM
I can''t believe you said David was arrogant! Lies! He''s too cute to be arrogant. Right? Say it ain''t so!

I have seen The West Wing, but only a bit. I''ll check if I can get it over here. Yay for Netflix!

All you need is Dave, Dave, Dave is all you need (and BBCi player and Netflix).
Hahah! Oh, sorry, I mean David Tennant as the Doctor--that character is very arrogant! Tennant has done some shows (like hosting the Friday Night Project and it was HILARIOUS!!) where it''s been him talking and he seems really grounded and not that arrogant at all, but the Doctor is HUGELY arrogant. Sometimes I want to smack him (the Doctor). Tennant out of character just makes me want to smooch him (shh, don''t tell J).
2.gif
9.gif

You should be able to get ''The West Wing'' here--J''s best friend bought the whole collection (7 box sets) for something like £100 so I know it exists somewhere here. So so good! Aaron Sorkin is amazing.

Love your Dave song, by the way. I''ll bet they''d play it if you did a recording. Even if you don''t sing.
5.gif
2.gif

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 8:11:36 AM
Author: iluvcarats
We rent all the tv shows we''ve never seen. Its great! We start from the beginning of the series, no commercials, and less time than a movie. I''d recommend Rescue Me, 24, The Shield, The Wire, Boomtown, Lost, Dexter, Sopronos, Weeds..... You get the idea...

I just rented the 1st season of Mad Men. I loved it! Its from one of the writers-producers of the Sopranos. It takes place in an Ad agency in early 1960''s New York.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/7/2008 9:33:41 AM

Date: 7/7/2008 8:52:22 AM
Author: gemgirl
Oh wow, I wasn''t thinking of older movies but I''m with Bliss, the new ''Sabrina'' is wonderful and romantic. One of my all time favorite movies is ''Sense and Sensibility''. I have to see it every couple of years and I love it every time I watch it.

I''m not much of a fan of the original old movies because we were forced to watch them on Sunday afternoons when we were all gathered at my Grandmother''s at 2:00 for Sunday dinner. (My Grandfather liked John Wayne, King Kong and all the old guy flicks). I do like the remakes though. I''d rather watch Harrison Ford play the lead in the new Sabrina rather than Humphrey Bogart in the old black and white version. I think it was Humphrey Bogart...... I never cared for him.

I know what you mean about reading a book and then seeing the movie. We create our own little scenery in our minds when we read and often times the movie version doesn''t have the color, warmth or imagination of our own versions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results