shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous re I color - first time buyer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
So the diamond is bought - but suddenly I am nervous about the color and think we should have traded down in size for better color. It will be set in platnium. It''s I (GIA) and I think the cut is good but cannot tell as I cannot find a standard guide for radiants. Can someone calm my nerves??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How does it look to you??? I bet it's beautiful. Can you post a pic???

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
I don''t have it yet. It looked great when we saw it against the white paper. And I loved it. But then I was reviewing the GIA paper and went online and people seem to be suggesting that G is where people should be. I am just such a novice - should I have researched better?

mymulan

Rough_Rock
You should check out this thread. You will see how beautiful J stones can be. It also really depends how color sensitive you are. If you''ve got a nice I color, and it''s big, why not? People are usually impressed by size first.
26.gif

J Stones in Platinim:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Try not to be nervous. I'll bet you have a GORGEOUS diamond there! Remember, I is considered "near colorless".

We have a very unique microcosm here on PS... but it is NOT typical of the rest of the world. We crunch numbers and scrutinize letters, second-guess and split hairs. Most of humanity does not do this with diamonds!!! You may look at that stone and think "I... I... I..." but eveyone else will just look at it and say "WOW!"

I have a new J stone that I am soooo thrilled with I can't say it enough. My old stone was a G. I appreciate all the color nuances of diamonds... and I'm sure that your "I" is very beautiful indeed.

Lynn

PS Edited to add... you've seen the diamond against white paper, and you were thrilled? Then believe me, you will remain thrilled. You can quit fretting now!!!
2.gif
1.gif

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks, that''s a great thread on J colors - those are great! I am sure mine is stunning and I am sure I will love it. I guess I have just been letting the color charts get to me. Some people seem so definitive that they color should be G and above - I just started wondering if they know something I don''t.

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Lynn - you are right that the PS people are probably among the most educated on diamonds. Perhaps this is an example of too much education on a subject. I know I will love it. I need to walk away from the GIA cert... Though I have learned more than I though possible regarding diamonds!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 3:24:54 PM
Author: kelly2005
But then I ... went online and people seem to be suggesting that G is where people should be. I am just such a novice - should I have researched better?
Honestly, I don''t think you could have gotten that idea here on PS. Sure, some of us LOVE "G''s". Some of us love D''s... and only D''s will do! Others adore their J''s or K''s... and believe me, there have been some KILLER M stones here, too! Everyone respects everyone else''s preferences and choices. There''s no right or wrong. There''s a LOT to consider, but it''s just all a balance... with a little give and take. And in the end, we all choose stones that are perfect for us.

Lynn

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Not from PS - from the websites selling diamonds - though clearly they have a reason to push the higher colors. PS has been really educational for me though -it does convey the fact that every diamond speaks to the person and is perfect for them even if not D and IF. I just never knew there was SO much to consider with cut, polish, symmetry, etc. It''s a whole new world.

mymulan

Rough_Rock
people have different preferences... I have a friend where even a G color mentally bothers her... so she ended up with a smaller stone that is an F color. She''s happy with it...so that''s great. Sounds like you were thrilled with yours... so listen to your heart, not to what other people say....

How about telling us the specs of the diamond??? :)

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
you are going to have to bear with my on the specs... they are from memory...

color: I, Clarity VS2, depth 73; table 68; no cutlet, no flor, and then goods for the categories that they rate good for (polish i think) and it''s 1.8 - that all means NOTHING to me - help me out, please!

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks - that was an interesting thread. I guess there is no standard for radiants yet. It''s hard for me to even recall it right now, but I do remember that it sparkled when we were looking. I am sure the setting will add to it too. Thanks for your help. I am going to try and relax until the official proposal. I am sure all these questions won''t even matter once I see it again.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 5:58:52 PM
I am sure all these questions won''t even matter once I see it again.
you are exactly right. i know it''s hard in the meantime, but all your worries will be gone once you have it on your finger.
2.gif

please come back and post pics when you get it!
36.gif

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I certainly will. But only the BF knows how long that will be. ;-)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2005 3:24:54 PM

But then I was reviewing the GIA paper and went online and people seem to be suggesting that G is where people should be.

... leaving aside the ton of other opinions who tout J and Ks!
31.gif
There''s no way to please everyone on paper. In person, most diamonds are very inclined to disagree with any judgemental, discriminatory remarks and just keep on charming people.

From the description, it is quite clear you liked it allot. No room for buyer''s remorse left
2.gif

About the standard for radiants: there is one (see radiantcut.com for the original brand) and there''s always the performance-based grading that applies to all shapes (i.e. the ''scopes'' - Ideal Scope, brilliance scope etc.) Not that you have to worry about this now. All the gimmicks try to guess what diamonds look in absentia and also try to second guess what you like. That is allot of guessing...
40.gif
If you have seen some diamonds, chances are your choice is as good as any.

Of course, there''s always room for second guessing. I color doesn''t sound like something you should second guess though.

My 2c

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks - and now that I have it - I do not second guess it at ALL.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
See! I KNEW it!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great!! Now how about some pics???
31.gif

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
I can''t seem to uplaod a pic. Hmmm. But it''s the picture attached to the thread trying to figure out if it''s a radiant, princess, etc. Not sure why I am not able to load it again... Sorry. And yes, Lynn - you were right!!

vadim_s

Rough_Rock
I agree with most things people are telling you here. I used to only like D and E stones, I am very very color sensitive. But, lately, I started liking warmer colors. Just bought my wife a J stone. I promise you that it is very hard to tell warmer color easily, as the thread reffered above shows, without having the diamond next to diamonds of much lighter color.
Give us the specs for your diamond and of course PICS PICS PICS
18.gif

drk

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s your photo. I think it needed a different file name, since each photo has to have its own original name.
Beautiful ring, BTW!

Kate

Engagement 020copy.jpg

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Very Nice!!
36.gif
I''m so glad to see such a pretty I color because I ordered one also! It''ll be here anyday, I just hope it looks as nice as yours does.

JShoer_1.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My "I" diamond is very, very face up white. You can see some color in certain angles in certain lights and I was nervous at first too. Over all I think it was a great choice. I love it.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Let me just go on the record as saying the "H" and "I" stones are my favorite colors. If it is well cut, I don''t think that there is anything more beautiful.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I used to be a ''color snob'' It had to be either E,F or G.

However, since I am more educated these days, let me tell you that i have seen gorgeous stones that have ranged from J, k or L.

Every stone has to be judged on its own merit. color ''I'' is very respectable.....no worries!

blod
35.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I have an I and I love it. A coworker thought it was an F/G. The only time I notice warmth is when I am in a room with yellowish/beige walls or something else of that color so its reflecting the color of the room...the rest of the time it is super white. Look at it in various lighting when you get it and then decide if the color really bothers you.

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks for helping me post my picture again, Kate.

And I agree that Is are wonderful too. And, schowtyme, I am sure your I will be stunning too - can''t wait to see it!! Though I am sure the waiting is driving you more crazy than anyone.

schowtyme

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/22/2005 1:43:43 PM
Thanks for helping me post my picture again, Kate.

And I agree that Is are wonderful too. And, schowtyme, I am sure your I will be stunning too - can''t wait to see it!! Though I am sure the waiting is driving you more crazy than anyone.

Yeah the waiting is the worst part, I''ve already ordered it but it won''t get here till next Thursday because I''ll be out of town until then...So yeah the waiting to see it and hoping it is ok and thinking of how I''m going to ask... There are so many stories on the other forum, I''ve got to stop reading them. I mean between researching and buying the diamond and then thinking of how to ask her, I''m gonna be bald before it even happens
3.gif

But the nice thing is it does look nice in the pic that WF sent me but you never know until you actually see it

1.gif

kelly2005

Rough_Rock
I think most diamonds look MUCH better in person. I actually don''t like the photo of mine - it doesn''t show how sparkly it is... And all of my friends'' photos pale in comparison to their rings... So if you like the photos - I am sure you will LOVE the real thing. Good luck with the asking... I''m excited for you (and her). It''s a fun time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results