shape
carat
color
clarity

Nervous about Kitty Neutering

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies-

So I made an appointment today to get my precious little pumpkin Theo neutered next month. I know this is totally routine, but part of me is nervous about the procedure. FI thinks I''m absolutely crazy and is laughing at me. I''m just worried about how the little guy will handle it, he''s my first cat. Do you have any suggestions on things I should do before or after the procedure to make him more comfortable? Thanks!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in a clinic and we do so many neuters. It really is a quick operation. The main thing that we suggest beforehand is to have a full check up (this is actually included in our clinic as standard). Some people will get a blood workup beforehand, but for the majority of animals, people do not get this done unless there is some worry about an underlying problem. The operation itself lasts less than fifteen minutes. They are given a sedative which calms them down before they receive their general anesthetic so there is no struggling to hold the cat and they are not stressed. An endotracheal tube is placed down the trachea and his heart rate and colour is monitored throughout. The actual op is quite simple and in Ireland no sutures are required(not sure how you guys would do it in the states). The patient is kept on oxygen only until he begins to come around and then they are placed in post-op care of one of the nurses. Where I work they are ready to go home anytime after three o''clock and the op''s are usually performed from 8 that morning so we keep them in for roughly four to five hours afterwards to make sure they are doing fine.

Post op, depending on the clinics policy, some will send them home on medication or some will give a long acting antibiotic/painkiller while the cat is under anesthetic. Rest is needed for the remainder of the day and a small, light meal can be fed that evening. With cats, 99% are flying around the next day as normal. We do a check up normally ten days later just to make sure that every things healed as it should. Just remember to fast the night before also. If you need to ask anything else, just give me a shout.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 5:59:16 PM
Author:sap483
Hi Ladies-

So I made an appointment today to get my precious little pumpkin Theo neutered next month. I know this is totally routine, but part of me is nervous about the procedure. FI thinks I''m absolutely crazy and is laughing at me. I''m just worried about how the little guy will handle it, he''s my first cat. Do you have any suggestions on things I should do before or after the procedure to make him more comfortable? Thanks!
That will change when you suggest his vasectomy.
11.gif
31.gif

Wishing Theo a painless and easy procedure.

shay

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I did get the blood work done for my kitty. It''s an extra cost, but it helped for my piece of mind.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Sap, I know how nerve-wracking it can be to bring your furbabies in for ANY type of surgery or treatment, I certainly work myself up into a tizzy every time I have to bring any of my guys in for anything.

I hope everything goes well with your baby!

Patiently_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 6:10:38 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Hi Ladies-

Did I mention I had Bailey Boo done just this past Monday? They give you liquid pain meds to take home, make sure you have a cage for comfort and by golly, make sure they give you a lamp shade for his head!!! The first two days you will find he''ll sleep a lot (ok, well, Bailey did anyhow). But she is back to her regular brat cat self chasing after Camille and attacking Hannah''s tail. Bailey got caught at the vet in her cage after having licked out her dissolving stitches, so I have to take her back next Monday after work to have her STAPLES removed.. BRAT GIRL!!
20.gif
The first two nights, I put Bailey in the bathroom to sleep, with her lamp shade.. on a big ol blankie on the floor.. just remember it has to be loose enough to breathe (I know, doy), but Bailey found a way quick to take it off before I found the right tightness to keep it on. By Wednesday night she was sleeping where ever again in the house, but I still watched her with those darn staples.
Sorry to thread jack, but SDL - I also have a kitty named Bailey - she''s a black & white domestic short hair. What kind of cat do you have?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh he''ll be ok. Trust your vet. They will make sure it is safe for him.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 7:51:15 PM
Author: Shay37

Hi Ladies-

That will change when you suggest his vasectomy.
11.gif
31.gif

Wishing Theo a painless and easy procedure.

shay

lol Shay
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results