shape
carat
color
clarity

neighbors dog killed by coyote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My neighbor had a very sweet terrier that was killed this weekend by a coyote. I did not even know we had them in my neighborhood but apparently they have been spotted before.

I''m very saddended by her loss.

And I''m worried about my kids. I do have a fenced in yard, the fence is 4 feet but that gives me comfort since her yard adjoins mine and is fenced in as well.

My kids play in the back yard a lot, its a huge lot. And my 4 year old spends hours out there. I am always on the first floor near a window when she is out there but I do sometimes walk away to the laundry room or front of the house for a few minutes. Since I live on a quiet safe street and we have the fence, I have felt fine with her there.

Shoudl I be concerned about a coyote attacking her? I have to admit, I''m a bit panicked. I grew up in a much more urban area on the east coast and never rememeber coyotes being an issue. I''m in the midwest now so we have more wildlife where I am. Lots of deer but those don''t scare me regarding the kids. Coyotes do!

So telll me, what precautions if any should I take? I hate to keep her inside when she loves being out but I want her safe most of all.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always heard to make sure there is no food around and the neighbors need to do the same and to keep your yard clean. Do you think someone is feeding them? I only once had an encounter w/a coyote and it seemed afraid of me but I still ran away; I was a teenager. They seem to come out more during the evening. I would watch your kids at all times to be on the safe side and especially if it ate a dog! I am sorry about the dog; how awful! I bet they are not afraid of little kids so I wouldn't let them play outside unsupervised.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, thats what I'm thinking. I'm not letting her outside unless I'm out on the deck nearby. My daughter loves picnics all year round. She will have a picnic in 30 degree weather no problem. I am going to enforce no eating in the backyard for now. Eating in the house only- with the door to the yard closed! Its cold here now too.

I will talk to my neighbors. I live on a coldesac and know most of them.

I really can't imagine anyone feeding he coyotes since everyone on my street either had several kids or dogs or both kids and dogs at home.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
YIKES!!! This is one of my worst fears right now. Coyotes are stalking our neighborhood right now and some indoor/outdoor cats have gone missing/been killed. We''ve kept our cats inside since the first report but I''m worried they might slip out (with all the work going on at the house & workmen coming in & out) ... but I''m most worried for Tallulah, my seven pound pup, who HAS to go outside to do her biz. I''ve been accompanying her and I guess I''ll continue to -- but our neighbor told me a story about a tiny dog being snatched right off a leash.
32.gif

THEN - the other night, DH thinks he SAW IT INSIDE OUR FENCED YARD ... it was a medium-dog-sized shadow that was rustling in the corner & then leapt over the fence toward the field across our narrow lane. He''s not 100% sure -- but what else could it be? There aren''t stray dogs wandering around INSIDE fenced yards???

I''ve heard nights are worst -- so maybe the day is safe for your tot, but, honestly I don''t know.
6.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2007 11:54:18 PM
Author: asscherisme
Skippy, thats what I'm thinking. I'm not letting her outside unless I'm out on the deck nearby. My daughter loves picnics all year round. She will have a picnic in 30 degree weather no problem. I am going to enforce no eating in the backyard for now. Eating in the house only- with the door to the yard closed! Its cold here now too.

I will talk to my neighbors. I live on a coldesac and know most of them.

I really can't imagine anyone feeding he coyotes since everyone on my street either had several kids or dogs or both kids and dogs at home.
I bet it is the food; they are probably hungry. Hope it goes away!

ETA: Yikes, to one in your neighborhood too; keep the kitties safe Deco.

sera

Ideal_Rock
That''s so sad
15.gif

This may sound odd but... if you can purchase lion poo and put it on your perimeter it is supposed to keep them away. I had worked at a wildlife sanctuary and that''s what they said... personally, I never brought any home to try that theory out lol. Though, some days after working there the people stayed away.
20.gif

loser.gif
L''s for love.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
That is so scary!!! I definitely would not let my little ones play outside unless I was with them.

Are you in California? Is it because of the fires and the coyotes have lost their homes/food supply?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
No, I''m in the midwest and its was super cold this weekend with snow and ice storms. I guess that would make it hard to find food?

I woke up this moring deciding that I''m going to be extra protective of my kids. My 4 year old only goes to preschool 2 mornings a week and the other 3 days, she loves to go in the backyard after I drop my older kids at school. This morning, she wanted to go outside as usual and since I don''t enjoy the 18 degree weather, I told her no- I''ll go out with her later. Not going to let her go alone, thats for sure!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have them around here too, although I''ve only heard of people actually seeing them running on the bluffs, which run the southwest side of town by the river. My BIL lives there, and they had a small dog disappear too, they think a coyote got her. As I recall, my SIL said she''s seen them run through very early morning and dusk.

I have a feeling they are probably more affraid of us than we are of them, but I wouldn''t take any chances with the kiddies.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the neighbors dog, scary. If I lived somewhere with coyotes, bears, bobcats etc.. my worry would be my daughter. I'd have to put up an electric fence or something. Do those keep wild animals at bay? I know horses stay away from it....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I thought electric fences only worked if the animal is wearing a special collar, as in a dogy usually?

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Since I''m not good at explaining, "A device called an energizer generates high voltage impulses between its two output terminals. The impulse is very brief and is repeated every 1 to 2 seconds. The fence design is intended to connect the animal to these two output terminals through these fencing wires. When the electrical impulse passes through a muscle in the animal it stimulates the muscle to contract. If you haven''t felt an electric fence before, the best description of the feel is like leg cramp but lasting for just a brief moment. By necessity it is very unpleasant so that it provides an effective deterrent when the animal next encounters the fence. The animal remembers the unpleasant experience and avoids touching the wires again. It is NOT injury or damage that produces the discomfort but rather the induced muscle contraction that is unpleasant." You can do an all electric fence or just put a line or two above your fence. I know with horses they can sense when the fence is hot or not-At least I think so. Not sure if a wild animal would be able to sense it or if they would need to get a little shock once to stay away for good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results