shape
carat
color
clarity

Negotiating tips needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone give me some negotiating tips? I know there have to be some things to mention other than cash discount.

I''ve narrowed my choices down to some stones at Oscar''s Jewelry in downtown LA or 1 stone at Servis and Taylor in West LA. I don''t mind mentioning the names now cuz Oscar has a billion stones meeting my request and apparently Servis and Taylor has been holding the stones I''ve been looking at without me even asking. Both have impeccable service. I can''t say enough good things about how Richard Servis has been treating me.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can try and negotiate. Online vendors are openly showing their pricing, and are offering the freedom of comparison, before they even have the chance to communicate with you. This does not leave much room to request extremely high price, which can be negotiated downwards.

You also have to look at what your comparing including the service involved. A dealer needs to make a decent profit in order to cover his working expenses, If a vendor goes too low this will not happen B&M's or any dealer that owns their inventory are in a much better position to negotiate when The main reason is:Dealers that buy for stock can buy diamonds for less than the 'drop shippers' that memo or (borrow) diamonds. On-line vendors are not so inclined to reduce price either because they are already working in slim margins because of lower overhead etc…You can generally expect higher prices in a brick and mortar than you will find online

Comparing online vs. B&M you can really get an idea of what lowest price is just make sure the parameters your comparing are the same.. negotiating a fair price depends mostly on how much you study the diamond market for the specific diamond of your choice including the features of service which is involved. All in all you will probably be better off negotiating prices in a B&M, just know what your negotiating and what the same stone would cost you at an even lower margin shopping elsewhere(on-line) Some B&M’s have an extravagant mark-up to begin with so keep this in mind also...
35.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have purchased diamonds from Oscar''s, and you can indeed negotiate. If it is a carat or more, you may be able to knock off another $100 or so. Usually works best if you are buying a nicer (more than $400) setting from them as well, and you are pleasant about it. They are usually lower than online pricing to start with (contrary to typical forum assumptions) so that makes it really nice. Good luck!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the response about Oscar's, Caratgirl. I was getting confused cuz the price quoted to me seemed so competitive (I had to approximate some) with the prices I was getting here and at sites like Bluenile, Whiteflash, etc. No wonder the place was so packed.

They seem pretty legit. Prolly don't have to worry too much about stone switching?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
You''d be in a best position to negotiate if you knew clearly what option you would take, i.e., what diamond you would go with, if you didn''t go with an ostensible first choice. So, shopping at Oscars, while having you option at Servis and Taylor in your back pocket seems like an ideal situation.

Knowing your BATNA is saying the same thing,and is the classic position to have in any negotiating.

Sounds like you''re in good shape, particularly if you simply don''t conceal from your parties the options you evidently understand you have open to you, and the only skill apart from that is to not be a clod about it, but rather, perhaps as modest and straightforward as possible, with respect to those options....and knowing for yourself, at what price point, in the case of either option you''re looking at, is where you''d be willing to make the purchase, or walk away and choose the alternative, in its place.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just keep in mind that if the prices are close to the online prices they dont have a lot of room to move and stay in business.
Most of the internet vendors walk right on the edge of profitability on any given sale and try and make up for it on volume.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 10
6.gif
5:30 AM
Author: strmrdr
Just keep in mind that if the prices are close to the online prices they dont have a lot of room to move and stay in business.

Most of the internet vendors walk right on the edge of profitability on any given sale and try and make up for it on volume.

Yes, that''s what worries me. However, I haven''t been able to find exactly the same stone online so I''m really just projecting what I think is the price the online vendors will charge. S&R costs more than the online vendors, but that''s to be expected. However, I imagine his overhead is quite high so I still don''t think he can move down as much.

Sounds like I may be trying to negotiate a hundred dollars or two at most from Oscar''s. Maybe I can get him to throw in the setting for free or at least close to free. I''ll plead poverty with the sales tax that has to be charged or something.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Richard was very helpful and knowledgeable when I was engagement ring shopping a few years back. I recommend him without reservation. There is a little sign in their window (at least it was there last week) stating that they would match any price on like goods, so you may have some wiggle room. Also keep in mind that there is value in having a jeweler you trust and on whom you can depend. I think getting a fair price, rather than the best price, should be the priority.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, that''s why I''m still considering him, even though his quoted price is a few thousand dollars more than Oscar''s. I completely trust Richard so I''d be willing to pay a premium. I don''t entirely trust Oscar (altho he''s the best I''ve found in the jewelry district). He just doesn''t seem to care. His salesgirl that I''ve been dealing with is nice, but she has to defer and ask Oscar for a lot of things.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Codex,

First of all, don''t at all worry about any stone switching! He (Oscar) has been in business for many years and is very reputable. You are very right about the salesgirl - Oscar is really the only one that has diamond knowledge. I also agree that he comes off as not caring if he makes a sale or not. Basically, he is has a very profitable business model and is not into any type of high pressure sales. Almost too laid back, but I am a very type A personality, so I guess I just don''t get it. Maybe if I did, my blood pressure would be a lot lower!
9.gif

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Went back today. Yeah, Oscar is super laid back. If you''re in a rush, well, not the best place. He was much nicer the last two times (including today) that I went. I guess cuz he was less busy. He even offered me alcohol the last two times. Dunno if it was to lower my inhibitions and brain functionality so I wouldn''t be able to negotiate as well.
31.gif
Hahaha, I know he was just being nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results