shape
carat
color
clarity

Needle Spiking?! What the fuuuuuuuudge

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not enough that women have to worry about their drinks being spiked on a night out, now they have to worry about someone injecting them?! Injecting them! With ketamine! I am so over humanity. Bolding at end of story is mine.

NOTTINGHAM, England — Lizzie Wilson was standing in a crowded nightclub Monday night with three friends when she felt a sharp pinch in her back, as if she had been pricked by a needle. Ten minutes later, she was struggling to stand.
Wilson, 18, said she had heard about young women being injected with syringes at crowded clubs and immediately feared she was another victim. Her friends rushed her to the hospital, where she spent hours disoriented and without sensation in her legs.
“Nobody should ever go through that,” said Wilson, a student in her first year of college in Nottingham in central England. “The most upsetting thing is, I could not control anything.”

For more than a year, Britain has witnessed a disturbing spate of violence against women. High-profile abductions and murders have stirred a national conversation, inspired vigils and protests, intensified scrutiny of police, and prompted deeper exploration of the misogynistic culture often at the root of this violence.
Now come alarming reports, if still relatively small in number, of women being injected with syringes at crowded pubs and nightclubs, in a variation of “spiking,” in which drugs are dropped into someone’s drink, a crime that often targets women. A number of police forces in England are investigating reports of “needle spiking,” including 12 incidents in Nottinghamshire. Police in Scotland are looking into similar reports.

Some who reported being spiked had effects “consistent with a substance being administered,” police said in a statement, much like Wilson’s account.
Female students have made the majority of reports, but some young men say they also have been victimized. Nottinghamshire police say no other offenses, including sexual assault, have been linked to the reports of being injected, and there have been no known arrests for injecting someone; regardless, authorities say they are stepping up patrols and working with local universities and hospitals to investigate.

After pandemic restrictions shuttered campuses and night life for months, this school year was supposed to be a fresh start, with raucous nights out that many students see as a rite of passage.

But as these stories — and the fears surrounding them — have spread, young women have called for a boycott of clubs and also launched a petition calling for clubs to be required to search people on entering. To many women, the idea that they could be victimized by someone wielding a syringe at a nightclub is horrifying.
“If I didn’t think I could be shocked anymore, if I didn’t think the behavior could get any lower, this is a new depth,” said Sue Fish, the former chief of Nottinghamshire Police, who has long been an outspoken advocate for women’s rights.

Worries about drinks being covertly laced with drugs have long been an issue. A 2019 BBC investigation revealed more than 2,600 cases of drink spiking in England and Wales since 2015.

Fiona Measham, professor and chair of criminology at the University of Liverpool and director of the Loop, a charity which monitors drug use in nightlife, said that there are a few hundred spiking cases nationally every year and described the risk as “quite low.”

Of needle spiking specifically, she said, “It’s not impossible, but it’s really unlikely.” But she said that each allegation needed to be investigated and taken seriously. “I think the anxieties are very real; the anger toward nightclubs is real,” she said.

In recent days, speculative posts on social media about dirty needles and criminal gangs have increased the fears. (Wilson’s doctor said she may have been injected with Ketamine, an anesthetic drug, and she has begun a course of hepatitis shots and blood tests to ensure she hasn’t contracted a disease.)
At a recent parliamentary hearing, Yvette Cooper, chair of the Home Affairs Select Committee, called for police to review the reports of attempted druggings and compile a comprehensive nationwide assessment to better understand what is going on.

“There isn’t a proactive assessment happening about what the scale is of the problem,” she said, adding, “It’s still seen as the victim’s responsibility to protect themselves.”
But many young people are not willing to wait for assessments. Local groups, under an initiative called “Girls Night In,” have popped up across the country calling for a boycott of clubs next week to raise awareness and demand better protections.

Ally Valero, 20, one of the students who set up the local Nottingham boycott, said the goal was not to signal that women should stay at home. It is intended to send a message to club owners that they must do a better job of ensuring the safety of patrons.
“We want to go out again,” Valero said. “But we want to go out in a safer environment.”

Primrose Sparkes, 20, who helped launch a similar boycott at Durham University, said that in the past the main factor she considered before deciding whether to go out was whether she had an early morning class. “Now it’s: Do I feel safe?” she said. “There’s an element of fear that wasn’t there before.”

On Wednesday, crowds of college students, some dressed in costumes for themed parties, headed out in Nottingham. Several young women said they’ve always been careful about someone spiking their drink but that the prospect of needles was different.
“It’s always been, ‘Watch your drink; cover your drink,’ ” said Jocie Mears, 18, who was out with two friends. “You can’t cover your whole body. It’s not our responsibility, it’s the people who are spiking us.”

Luis Danton, 20, a student and president of the soccer society at Nottingham Trent University, called the situation “mad” and said the team is planning to join the boycott.
“And a lot of people are scared, if I am being honest,” he said.
Outside the sprawling Pryzm nightclub, students removed jackets and emptied their pockets before walking through a metal detector. The club says it has stepped up searches to reassure customers.

Some 150 miles north in Durham, hundreds of students streamed onto cold cobblestone streets. With concerns heightened, women said they felt safest drinking at bars accessible only to students who have campus cards.
“I don’t know anyone that doesn’t know someone that’s been spiked, which is shocking,” said Tillie Drapper, 20, who started a Facebook forum for people to unofficially report incidents of suspected spiking.

Students here have been critical of the response to their concerns after the university told them to avoid getting spiked in a now-deleted post on Twitter, calling it victim blaming. The university said it was taking the concerns “very seriously.’’

Some women said that they are thinking of wearing sturdier clothing for protection. Drapper said women should not have to cover up and watch their backs to have a night out. Still, she has largely avoided nightclubs this school year, while she said friends wear sturdier clothing for protection. “It’s just not worth it.”
At Jimmy Allens, a nightclub in Durham, the wait was unusually long Wednesday as bouncers frisked students and checked their bags — a policy introduced this week. Staff members have also begun wearing bodycams.“It’s taking people longer to get in, but it’s worth it,” said Darryl Watson, a manager.

Police in Durham said in a statement that though they were aware of posts online about spiking incidents by injection, they have not received any reports.
Regardless of how widespread the needle spiking is, at the root of the fears expressed by many young women is an awareness of the disproportionate risks they face.
“Women have always done all these sort of things to protect themselves when actually it's men’s behavior that needs to change,” said Fish, the former police chief. Putting the onus on women to fend off an attacker does not solve the problem, she said, adding, “What should women wear on a night out, a suit of armor?”
© 2021 The New York Times Company

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read about this last night. How earth can a woman really protect herself from this? Just one more thing for women to worry about when out at night. This is scary as hell.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Oh how horrific!!! In college one of my friends had her drink spiked at a party but fortunately we were there as a group and immediately took her to the hospital. Why are some people so monstrous???

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just hope those responsible will be caught soon. Arrests had been made apparently.

DK :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only response I have is hopefully our demise as a human race will happen sooner vs later. :(

Feelings of contempt born of inchoate, unacknowledged fear - civilization's fear of nature, men's fear of women, power's fear of powerlessness. Man's subliminal urge to destroy what he could neither subdue nor deify. Men's Needs.
Arundhati Roy

man'sinhumanitytoman.jpg

man'sinhumanitytoanimals.jpg

insanespecies.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, come on, everyone. Acts like this represent a tiny, tiny slice of humanity, when in fact the world is full of good people doing good and kind things every day. They make the news because they're rare. "Woman Nurses Mother-in-Law" doesn't make good copy. Don't let the media manipulate you into thinking negative thoughts about the entirety of life, the universe, and humanity. I, for one, love this world and this life, and I hope I'm here for a long time. I'm incredibly grateful for my life, my health, and the beauty in this world. So many good, fun, enjoyable people around. I, for one, won't let the race for sensationalist headlines spoil my enjoyment of my short time here! I dunno, I guess I've always thought my life has enough trouble on its own without borrowing more from the idiotic press. Missy made a good point yesterday about how biased and sensationalist the media has become, in its competition for eyeballs. You could flip that headline and marvel at the number of visits made by women to bars and nightclubs all the time without anything happening to them. Probably 99.9% of visits are made in perfect safety.

Edited.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, come on, everyone. Acts like this represent a tiny, tiny slice of humanity, when in fact the world is full of good people doing good and kind things every day. They make the news because they're rare. "Woman Nurses Mother-in-Law" doesn't make good copy. Don't let the media manipulate you into thinking negative thoughts about the entirety of life, the universe, and humanity. I, for one, love this world and this life, and I hope I'm here for a long time. I'm incredibly grateful for my life, my health, and the beauty in this world. So many good, fun, enjoyable people around. I, for one, won't let the race for sensationalist headlines spoil my enjoyment of my short time here! I dunno, I guess I've always thought my life has enough trouble on its own without borrowing more from the idiotic press. Missy made a good point yesterday about how biased and sensationalist the media has become, in its competition for eyeballs. You could flip that headline and marvel at the number of visits made by women to bars and nightclubs all the time without anything happening to them. Probably 99.9% of visits are made in perfect safety.

Edited.

I agree as far as this particular thing about needle spiking. However, among women and girls who I've ever known well enough that such topics were discussed, I don't know many who have not been in some way seriously sexually mistreated by males.

I'm so glad things are turning around now and those males are held accountable more now rather than the female just being mistreated more for speaking up. Imo the more we hear about what actually goes on, the better.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right, but my point is not that we shouldn't hear about it, but that we shouldn't let these headlines negatively color our entire view of humanity and the world. For the sake of mental health, I think it's important to keep a balanced perspective and to remember that getting injected in the spine or having your drink spiked is not a typical thing to happen on a night out.

I wonder why there has been such a rise in violence toward women. I went out in cities to nightclubs and bars a lot in my youth, and nothing ever happened to me or my friends. I don't know if we were just lucky or if things really have changed. I suspect the latter. I wonder why it's worse now. Is it violent video games? Drugs? Or are we just hearing about it more because news is not limited to the space available in a daily paper?

I've had the opposite experience to you and your friends. One girl was assaulted at a youth camp, when we were 15, but that's the only incident among close friends. It seems there's been a huge rise on violence against women in one generation. The thing that has changed the most in that time is the rise of the internet and social media, which imo makes it easier for people with bad intentions to gather in dark corners o the web and share their evil fantasies etc. I think social media is the worst thing to happen to our society in a generation. When the internet happened, it was so convenient to be able to shop online, email faraway friend and family etc., but social media is a different animal imo.

And don't get me started on the existence of online p*rn. If any government gave a rat's ass about women, that stuff would be as illegal as other types of p*rn. I do not even want to think about the effect of this stuff on impressionable young male minds.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My coworker - few months ago - was telling me that he hadn’t been sleeping well because his elder daughter (7) had had a really hard couple days back at school, and was up all night. She was locked out of the building at recess, and the next afternoon there was an active shooter drill.

That conversation has stuck with me. It was a really casual conversation. When I was seven my biggest worry was whether I’d remembered to lock the goat pen - we weren’t technically supposed to go in during school hours.

It’s hard for me to even imagine how different a child’s world view must be from mine when I was that age. Hard and really really sad. Sneaking into a goat pen should be the only thing his daughter might need to worry about.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, @yssie. It's really sad. There must be more worried and depressed children around now than there have been for some decades. (I say that because I imagine previous generations of children must have been pretty worried throughout the various wars of recent decades.) I doubt that the internet does them much good, either - in general terms, with all the negativity. I'm coming to believe that the internet is just a massive swamp of negativity, and the brains of the young are being marinated in it, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, I googled UK murder stats, and came up with a government page that said in 2020, the number of men killed increased by 20% and the number of women killed decreased by 16%. And it seems that three times more men are murdered each year than women. What's driving all the violence among males?

I wish the press would report on actual stats instead of giving reams and reams of coverage to isolated cases, which frightens and depresses everyone half to death. (I'm not saying they shouldn't be reported at all; I'm saying there is NO balance anymore.) I'm almost beginning to feel as if the media is bullying its readers, and is responsible for a lot of mistrust between young men and women. It's as if they want everyone to loathe life and humanity and to feel scared. (I've already written about how the other woman killed at the same time as Sarah Everard was given zero national press coverage, even though she was years younger than Sarah and stabbed to death right on the street. Still trying to work out why one is so press worthy and the other got nothing at all. Oh - silly me. One was white and blonde and the other was of Indian heritage.)

I'm really beginning to think that the media is best avoided and that the best source of news is official stats. The insane amounts of coverage of the Gabby Petito and Sarah Everard cases at the exclusion of other female murder victims of the same week or month is sickening. I can't take what's reported in the media seriously anymore because I've pretty much lost all respect for it.

Edited.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya, I suggest you do some research on Rainn. It may open your eyes a bit. Terrible things happen to women every day. Burying your head in the sand and not giving it a second thought because you and your friends didn‘t experience this is a slap in the face to every woman who has. Our rights as women are being chipped away in Texas right now. I guess we should all gloss over this as well.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, I'm saying that the media has no balance and that this is a bad thing. I'm talking about the press bias. I fully acknowledge sexual against women. Maybe you haven't read all my posts, but I ruminate above as to the reasons why it seems to have got worse in one generation. (i.e. online p*rn, social media - see what I say above.) I'm saying that I think the media exploits our fears for their own ends, basically so they can make money, and I think it's awful of them. And I'm saying that where there is no balance in reporting, we have to create our own balance, or go mad with fear and negativity. I refuse to play into the hands of the MSM that way.

Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, see post #8 above from me. These quotes are me slapping women in the face? Come on.

"I wonder why there has been such a rise in violence toward women."

"I don't know if we were just lucky or if things really have changed. I suspect the latter. I wonder why it's worse now. Is it violent video games? Drugs?"

"It seems there's been a huge rise on violence against women in one generation. The thing that has changed the most in that time is the rise of the internet and social media."

"If any government gave a rat's ass about women, that stuff [female p*rn] would be as illegal as other types of p*rn."

Does the above really sound like a slap in the face to women who have been assaulted to you?

It's the MEDIA I object to. The media.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there's been a rise in violence against girls and women. I think there's been an increase in it being publicly discussed and the offenders called out. Which is a good thing.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya, The media reports the news. Women being stalked, raped and killed by men is news. Women going out with their friends and having a good time isn’t news. It should be what every woman experiences when she goes out with her friends. That is a normal occurrence. Yet we have many many stories of terrible things happening to women thru no fault of their own. We should all be shining a spotlight on these things that are happening and trying to bring about change.

This thread is about another awful thing that is happening to woman.

I’m not trying to start an argument with you. I’m overly sensitive to this type of topic and I will be the first to admit that. I apologize if I made you feel bad @Jambalaya. That was not my intent.

I agree @seaurchin, It is being discussed and it should be.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jambalaya with all due respect horrible things happen to women daily. I refuse to see the world through rose colored glasses. No. I see the world as it is. It doesn't make me bitter or unhappy or cruel. I surround myself with wonderful individuals and I am content. But my eyes are wide open as to what is happening all over. I do what I can and I refuse to stand by quietly. Or sugar coat anything. You do what works for you of course. But the more vocal we are, the more realistic we see things, the more we can accomplish together.

But I stand by my previous comments. What a world we live in. Our rights as women are being taken away little by little. Insidiously but overtly too. And so many just stand by. It is surreal. On a daily basis I see examples of man's inhumanity to others. No. This world is not a good nor kind place but we make it the best we can and we do what we can. But I see things clearly. Sometimes I wish I didn't see it so clearly.

pattismith.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Hey, if you can look all this stuff squarely in the eye and not let it unduly affect your mental health and enjoyment of life, rock on! That's great. I find too much negativity about life, humanity, and the universe affects me, so I try to look on the bright side.

Vive la difference!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Hey, if you can look all this stuff squarely in the eye and not let it unduly affect your mental health and enjoyment of life, rock on! That's great. I find too much negativity about life, humanity, and the universe affects me, so I try to look on the bright side. Vive la difference!

Absolutely.
They make us tough in Brooklyn :lol:

brooklynquote.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JFC

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you are definitely more resilient than me, @missy! I suffer from depression enough as it is. I'm scared to expose myself to too much negativity. I don't know what I'd do without my Lexapro, which I consider to be magic in a bottle! I find it essential to try to balance negative things with happy things, by which I mean tea parties with cheeky, fluffy, happy bunnies! (I'm not high. I really do wish I could attend a party like that. Every day!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, you are definitely more resilient than me, @missy! I suffer from depression enough as it is. I'm scared to expose myself to too much negativity. I don't know what I'd do without my Lexapro, which I consider to be magic in a bottle! I find it essential to try to balance negative things with happy things, by which I mean tea parties with cheeky, fluffy, happy bunnies! (I'm not high. I really do wish I could attend a party like that. Every day!)

I agree about balancing happy things with all else that is happening. I get my peace and contentment from internal vs external factors if you will. But also I do things I love doing daily. Cycling, reading, walking, chatting with my DH and friends and sharing bling and info on PS. And working out daily. It brings me inner quiet and de-stresses me. I am dealing with much on my plate at the moment and I refuse to let it bring me down for long. I think it is healthy to feel sad and depressed when things are challenging but then to make a plan to overcome and work it out. Hugs to you @Jambalaya. Life is hard and aging isn't for sissies as the quote goes. You are stronger than you think.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thanks, Missy!

Getting back to the topic at hand, I hope they catch asap whoever has been doing such terrible things. A medical expert has weighed in and said that the injections wouldn't be that easy to carry out unless the person knew what they were doing, which makes me suspect.....medical students. The city of Nottingham has a medical school, I believe.

Spiking drinks is bad enough, but needles bring a whole new level of sinister. And what if they're not even clean needles?? Jesus.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results