shape
carat
color
clarity

Needing a woman''s point of view .....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
Ok this is the situation. I have been looking for a stone for an e-ring for my girlfriend for a few months now. Just yesterday I think I found the diamond I would like to buy. It''s princess cut, a little over 1.5c, great color, great light return (I''m getting some idealscope images today), and a cut that lives up to my standards. None of those attributes are in question in my mind. The only problem is that there is a white feather flaw near one of the corners below the table. Now I could not see this flaw from the top, even with magnification, but when you look at it from the correct side the flaw is visible to the naked eye. Because it is white the flaw doesn''t bother me, but I wanted to get the opinion of some women. Do women look down upon flaws like this? Would you be disappointed? I would ask my girlfriend but it would give everything away. Thanks for any and all replies.

-FTB

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
I dont know your girlfriend BUt personally who cares.......I am a crazy perfectionist and I just bought a new stone (vs2) and i can see a couple things from the top if I look really close and hard but they are off in the corners and overall the stone just sings. I wanted great cut and color and the little flaws just keep your price down! ALso there are lots of very savvy folks here on pricescope with giant stones--like FIre & Ice --who have si stones and even i who just bought smart and they couldnt care less b/c they have hug sparklers.................

also once its set.............

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Fiance to be
A visible inclusion would bother me in a diamond (does not in emeralds), but I am very particular. For this reason I bought VS2 rather than an "eye clean SI1" when I purchased recently.

The definition of eye clean is very loose and I have seen many "eye clean" SI1 stones with inclusions visible off the table if you peered at them obliquely for long enough. I think responses will vary though. Many people consider tiny inclusions simply an identification mark in their diamond.

If I had to choose between a poorely cut flawless stone and a beautiful one with a small visible inclusion, the better cut would definitely win, so I guess even for me the feather would not be a huge priority unless it afffected durability.

Just one opinion.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
I would say (from a blokes side) that if it cant been seen from the top, even when using magnification... then it isnt a problem... if it can only be seen from the bottom, then its going in a ring and the bottom view wont be possible, since the ring will get in the way of a true underside look...

And a great bobby dazzler means far more than a flawless but poor cut...
30.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
It''s really up to the individual. Engagement rings are far more scrutinized - especially initially. Most people ask to see the ring. That said, once set will it be easily visable to the common observer - probably not. But, will the flaw bother the wearer - not me.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends on your gf''s opinion (this is unfortunate if you are trying to suprise her!). Is it possible that the feather can be covered by a prong? Personally, with a feather that is only seen when viewed a certain way, I wouldn''t care. I have a princess cut myself that has a small inclusion in the upper right side of the pavillion, but to me, it makes my diamond unique and it serves almost as a "birthmark" ( I know some other PS''ers have made similar comments about the "flaws" in their diamonds). If it bothers you that much, I would recommend trying to find another one. You know your gf better than anybody, so go with your gut feeling.

Have a good one
35.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
A little white feather that is not visable from the table, but thru the pavilion would be fine in my book. You said it near a corner...is it something that could be hidden by a prong? Assuming the idealscope is good and everything else is what you''re looking for...go for it!

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody thanks for the replies, and keep them coming if anybody has anything additional to add.
1.gif
I feel a lot better about the flaw after reading over this thread again. Since it is a white flaw not seen from the top I feel good about it, I''m glad to learn that others feel the same way. If it was black I would feel very different. I like the thought that it is a "birthmark" of sorts, to immediately tell my diamond from another. I think if the idealscope image pans out I will be making a purchase. Thanks again for the replies.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Good luck, fiance to be! Just wanted to reiterate that this would not bother me at all. it sure as heck wouldn''t have bothered me back when I got engaged--I think the guy really worries so much about finding the right stone (and it sounds like you have!), but I was just elated to get engaged, married, etc. I was sooooo happy with my 1/2 CT then!! How are you going to propose? (now that''s an entirely different post in and of itself)...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a noticable flaw and Im damn glad I have one. It keeps me sane that I can see that it is my stone if someone ot her than the normal jeweler has it for any amount of time.

If she''s that hung up on a stone and a ring, she''s not interested in you, your relationship or anything other than the ring.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you''re going to find that this is a matter of personal preference. In my case, a visible inclusion would bother me, but it took an upgrade from an I SI1 stone to a D VS2 stone to make my ring "mind clean" as well as eye clean.
1.gif

Here''s one girl''s opinion:

Since diamonds are natural they are rarely perfect. Your girl may feel differently, but the stone sounds so pretty. I bet she''ll be floored with you propose!

Enjoy!!

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 1:18
6.gif
7 PM
Author: Fiance to be
Hey everybody thanks for the replies, and keep them coming if anybody has anything additional to add.
1.gif
I feel a lot better about the flaw after reading over this thread again. Since it is a white flaw not seen from the top I feel good about it, I''m glad to learn that others feel the same way. If it was black I would feel very different. I like the thought that it is a ''birthmark'' of sorts, to immediately tell my diamond from another. I think if the idealscope image pans out I will be making a purchase. Thanks again for the replies.
I just got my princess before Christmas, and it has the same kind of inclusion, and is also an SI1.
I couldn''t see it for the life of me for the longest time - and then the other day I was determined to see where it was, and with the inclusion map from GIA and the diamond under my nose, I found it!

And I thought it was going to be a "oh no! there it is!!" - experience...But I actually like that it has a little "birthmark"... It''s a fine, white feather and no one else will EVER be able to tell! I''m sure if you hadn''t told your girlfriend she wouldn''t know if it was a SI or VVS...
All diamonds have these birthmarke, except from a very very few Flawless ones, which are too dumb to buy in my mind!

I rest safer knowing that if I have it cleaned or reset I can assure myself that I have my own diamond back by locating the little "birthmark"!
36.gif

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks again for all the advice girls, and guys. I feel a lot better about the stone now, I actually didn''t get around to seeing the idealscope images yesterday, I might go in this weekend if I get some time. I know that she would be happy with anything I give her, she would say yes to a gumball machine ring, but I figure this is one of the most important purchases I''ll ever make so it should be as perfect as possible.

I haven''t thought about the proposal too much yet Amy, I wanted to get the ring first before I start setting deadlines for myself. She loves the beach so I want to do it there, maybe a sunset or a sunrise proposal, but this isn''t really the right season yet. But if I get the ring soon I don''t think I''ll be able to wait for the weather to warm up. But I need to get through this nerveracking decision before I start on a new one.
1.gif
Thanks again everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results