shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your opinion!: regular vs. knife-edge wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Both are very similar, but I really can't decide... so, I thought I would ask everyone for your preference.

I'm getting three stone engagement ring (round 1ct center and two pears on the side-0.2ct each), and I just want 2mm simple wedding band, but can't decide if I should go with regular one or the knife-edge one. What's your opinion??

here is how regular one would look (except mine will be a bit thinner - pic is 2.75mm). also, my e-ring won't be that biiiig....
5.gif

regular-band.jpg

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Here is knife-edge...

knife-edge.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, my preference would be no band at all. But if I had to pick, I''d go with the knife edge.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hands down- knife edge!

1- less bulky
2- doesn''t detract from the e-ring like the round one does
3- the "points" (edge) of the knife edge band mimics the pear points.

in this instance, it''s knife edge all the way in my mind!

M155_L337

Rough_Rock
^^agreed^^

go with the knife!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer the regular wedding band, but thinner and flatter than the pictured one. I actually think the knife-edge distracts more from the e-ring.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 8:59:28 PM
Author: Ellen
Well, my preference would be no band at all. But if I had to pick, I''d go with the knife edge.
I know...
8.gif
I thought about wearing my wedding band on my right hand so that I can wear my e-ring alone....
...but I do want to wear my wedding band with my e-ring, so I''m trying to find the band that is most insignificant.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ocean - I must be quite late to the party, but do you have a thread on your gorgeous e-ring?!?

(Knife edge by the way!)

M155_L337

Rough_Rock
I actually prefer the regular wedding band, but thinner and flatter than the pictured one. I actually think the knife-edge distracts more from the e-ring.

oohhh, good idea!

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
I was considering knife-edge becasue I thought the same thing as jcrow pointed out, "3- the "points" (edge) of the knife edge band mimics the pear points." But, at the same time, I kinda felt the same as qtiekiki mentioned too," I actually think the knife-edge distracts more from the e-ring." ...hummm... tough.

Any other votes out there?!
emotion-5.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to sound mean, but I''m not really a fan of either. Maybe a curved band? I just feel like the straight one doesn''t go with the flow of the ring.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
hi Dee*Jay,
I haven''t posted my e-ring yet because I''m waiting for my stone to be set right now. My local jeweler is bringing in a couple of pear sets for me this week, and will start working on the setting after I choose a set. So, it will take another week or two. I will definitely post the picture of my e-ring & wedding band as soon as we get them! Can''t wait!!

My husband and I got married this June. We are doing eventhing out of order.
41.gif
Now he is getting me a engagement ring and we will get our wedding band at the same time. Next will be an engagement, and ceremony/reception next year... I know this is confusing...
19.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 9:55:13 PM
Author: robbie3982
I don''t want to sound mean, but I''m not really a fan of either. Maybe a curved band? I just feel like the straight one doesn''t go with the flow of the ring.
Not mean at all! I appreciate your honest opinion!!
I did consider it too, and I''m thinking of asking my jewerler if he can do some custom work to creat nice matching band. But, I''m kind of worried if I will like the curved look after he makes it...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 10:11:38 PM
Author: oceanbeach

I did consider it too, and I''m thinking of asking my jewerler if he can do some custom work to creat nice matching band. But, I''m kind of worried if I will like the curved look after he makes it...
I thought of curved too, and I think it would look good with the ER. But, if you wanted to wear it alone....

Have you considered, or is it feasable, to get a band with really small diamonds in it?

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I''d probably go with a really thin normal band...maybe 2mm?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful ring!
30.gif

i would vote no band. unless you get something delicate and curved that is soldered next to it, i just think it looks forced.
5.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 10:15:06 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/21/2006 10:11:38 PM
Author: oceanbeach

I thought of curved too, and I think it would look good with the ER. But, if you wanted to wear it alone....

Have you considered, or is it feasable, to get a band with really small diamonds in it?
Yeah, if I''m going to curve it, it will be very smooth one so that when I wear it alone, it won''t look too bad.

I wanted to have one band without diamond which I can wear without worry when I''m working out or swimming at beach etc... So, I prefer to go without diamond for this one. Then for anniversary, he can get me an eternity ring.
26.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/21/2006 10:26:49 PM
Author: february2003bride
Actually, neither that you posted! I have a Signed Pieces Raphael 2mm wedding band and looooooooooove it! It's so comfy and doesn't distract from the e-ring at all! http://www.thefacetscollection.com/item.cfm?item_id=1919 David was wonderful to work with and I received it in 5 days.
21.gif
So, what's the difference between their regular 2mm and Raphael 2mm? Is it thicker?? If so, how thick is it?
33.gif

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to do one of these wedding bands, I would do a knife edge. I personally like a slightly sharper edge like the one Tiffany''s offers. It''s only $375 in platinum too! Don''t you just love Kristydarling''s ring???
30.gif

wedband_tiffany_ring1.jpg

wedband_tiffany_ring2.jpg

I can''t wait to see yours. I''m thinking of doing the same and am shopping for pears now.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
No, no thicker but it''s hard to explain, lol. Have you ever tried on the Tiffany Lucida plain wedding band? It''s like that, but in a 2mm (or 3,4,5,mm) and half the cost. The plain band you posted looks dome shaped and definitely takes away from the ring. I do like the flatter Tiffany knife edge that cpster posted above! I saw a picture somewhere on PS of a Tiffany knife edge with a 3 stone and it was gorgeous!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having a ering that is going to similar to your''s I like a thinner regular wedding band. I don''t love the knife edge myself, takes away from the ering. But that''s just me. I wear a thin diamond band from SP with mine, but do have a plain platinum band as well. I can''t wait to see your ering!!!!
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of the two you posted, I like the knife edge better. It seems to "fit" with the ring better. Also, another option would be going with a flat and thin wedding band about 2mm or less instead of the rounded band you posted. Also, a tiny bead set eternity band would be lovely too.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK you guys, I've gone over and over this very same question and have learned quite a lot. Neither of the two bands at the top of the thread go with that ring well AT ALL (and I can say that cuz that's my ring pictured above! hehe). The knife edge pictured was an el cheapo from e-weddingbands.com....I was hoping it would be like the Tiffany knife-edge above but it was SOOO different. It had harshly straight lines and was NOTHING like the Tiffany, which was much more fluid and delicate in comparison. The Tiffany knife-edge looks AWESOME with my ring (I've now had 3 fellow PSers confirm that for me in person) and I'm so dying to get one.

That said, I still prefer my round with side pears on its own. No band. The overall shape and impact of the 3-stone look gets lost when you pair a band with it, IMHO (even a tiny, thin plain band). But if I had to choose a band, I'd go with the Tiffany for sure. In fact, it's already on my Christmas wish list, hehe.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi KristyDarling,
I was hoping you will give me your opinion on this! Thanks!! (hope you didn''t mind me using your pics in this post.
26.gif
)

Actually I tried on the three stone e-ring and knife-edge at Tiffany before, and I felt that it didn''t sit so well... I love Tiffany''s knife-edge, but it was very thin and flat, so with the three stone ring, the band moved around up and down a lot at the right/left sides. ...but this could be because the size of the band was too big on me though... hummm.... I may go there again and try them on.

After reading everyone''s opinion on this post, I was thinking of requesting a custom band almost like Tiffany''s knife-edge, but with a slight curve at the middle. What do you think of this idea?! Does it worth doing the curve? ...or should I just go with Tiffany''s knife-edge (if I like it when I try it on again)??

cpster, Thanks for posting the pics of Tiffany''s knife-edge! That''s helpful!!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ocean -- I totally don''t mind that my pics are posted above. I''m glad they were helpful.
1.gif

It sounds to me like the Tiffany band you tried on probably didn''t quite fit. Maybe give it one more try in the correct size before you rule it out. I tend to shy away from curved w-bands mainly because you can''t wear it alone if you want to. I just like having that option available to me. I also don''t like it when rings look too matchy-matchy, as they usually do with curved bands. (personal preference!) The look of two separate rings, even with a gap -- is much more appealing to me. In fact, I love the gap on both of my wedding sets. Again, just personal preference. People often feel very differently about this.

OceanBeach -- are you by chance in the SF Bay Area? (just guessing from your username) If you are, come to our GTG on September 16 in SF! I''ll be wearing my 3-stone and can bring along my different bands (including a couple diamond ones) so you can play around with the look.
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I'm thinking of setting my stone the same way
37.gif
and I'm going to do a thin diamond band with mine. I was able to try on a three stone at Tiffany's about the same size as mine would be and liked the look a lot. I also like the gap and am not a fan of curved bands unless they are real antiques. Now, if I had a 3+ carat honker like Kristy's I'd probably go solo or a band like kristy wants b/c her ring has enough bling on it's own
10.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to thread-jack but I couldn''t resist. MrsS....are you thinking of having Leon set your ring into the 3-stone with pear sides design??
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
Spill woman!!! (or better yet, start a new thread please!) By the way, I think a delicate diamond band would look beautiful with your stone, MrsS....what''s the mm width of the band you''re thinking of?

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
I wish I were! I do love ocean, and love CA!!
30.gif
But, some how I ended up in Philly with the cold bitter winter-
5.gif
I do love the snow too though, but winter here is just too long.
Thanks for the invite though! I would have loved to see your beautiful ring in person!!

I think I will try Tiffany again. I have feeling that I would like it if the size is right.

One thing though.. I was thinking of getting 90% Platinum / 10% Iridium instead of 95% Platinum / 5% Ruthinum (Tiffany) because I read in some posts that 90% Platinum / 10% Iridium will stay better silvery color longer than 95% Platinum / 5% Ruthinum. Also, my jeweler recommended that one too. Now I''m contemplating weather I should just ask my jeweler to use 95% Platinum / 5% Ruthinum to match with Tiffany''s band''s mix, or just go with different mix for e-ring and band. What''s your thoughts on this?? I know the 95% Platinum / 5% Ruthinum is harder, so it will scratch 90% Platinum / 10% Iridium, but not sure how significant the scratches will be...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
kristy, I bumpbed my settings thread in RT and answered you there
1.gif

Ocean, My suggestion would be to wait until you get your ring. You just don''t know exactly how it will turn out, the angles of the pears etc. Once you have, go and try on a bunch of bands and see what you like best. I saw the knife edge tiffany''s the other day and they really are beautiful. With all the tiffany repro''s out there, no one does it just like tiffany....at least yet, so that might be a good option for you. or just get something you like to wear on your right hand and then on your left when you''re not wearing your e-ring. i can''t wait to see your ring
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results