shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your informed opinion please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nice Rock

Rough_Rock
Hello all, this is my first post. I have been doing my research for a month here on pricescope and else where and all your posts have been a great help. I am narrowing down my selection for an engagement stone after a lot of exhaustive education and research. The wish list includes a 1 carat princess cut for less than $5k that is close to ideal as possible with emphasis on cut, with VS2 clarity, near perfect square, Very Good or higher on Polish and Symmetry and with a color of G or higher. I had to skip on the AGS 000 since they fall way out of my price range.

Here are two stones which I am trying to evaluate now and before seeing in person:

1 - AGS cert, Princess cut 1.01 Carat, E color, VS2, EX/VG on Polish/Symm, 5.43x5.34x3.93, Crown angle 46.3, Crown percent height 13.3%, Pavilion angle 38.4, Pavilion percent 57.0%, Med to Slightly thick Girdle (3.1% - 4.4%), Table Percent 70.8%, and Depth of 73.7%. Pointed culet

2 - GIA Cert with sarin, Princess cut 1.01 Carat, G color, VS2, VG/VG Polish/Symm., 5.70x5.64x3.99, Crown angle 28.0 (26.0 - 29.9), Crown Height percent 6.4% (5.9 - 6.9), Pavilion Angle 59.9 (58.7 - 61.0), Pavilion Depth 61.7% (60.8 - 62.6), Depth 70.8%, Table 70.4% (70.4 - 70.6) 3.97mm, girdle thicnkness 2.7% (1.3 - 4.1). Pointed culet.

I have scored both stones on the AGA cut guidelines and Stone #1 was superior as a 1A Ideal Cut, while stone#2 ranked as a 2A due mostly to its Crown height being short. Would this make it look shallow and flat? Can you tell how brilliance and fire would be for each based on the above numbers? Stone 1 is $200 higher than Stone 2 but both are in the mid to hi 4000 range.

What are your thoughts? I am looking for the nicest blend of brilliance/fire/beauty in a high quality stone and I am somewhat of a perfectionist. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a million.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey nice rock
35.gif
welcome to ps!

this is a good example of cutting for beauty vs. cutting for weight
14.gif
even though the depth and table on the second stone are not bad, the crown angle/height (pardon the pun) don''t measure up.
i hope you get a chance to spend some time with these two stones so you can appreciate the differences.

Nice Rock

Rough_Rock
Belle, thanks very much for your warm welcome and kind words. Also for being the only feedback so far. So you agree that stone #2''s cut may have been compromised with such a low crown? I am hoping to see both stones side by side. Does anyone else have any comments? Am I on the right track here? Thanks.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Princess cuts are so hard to evaluate without seeing them in person so I hope you do get a check to compare them visually. The first one has potential, but I agree with Belle that the crown height is too low on the second.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results