shape
carat
color
clarity

Need your advice on an Aquamarine - recut? set as ring?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
The color of my aqua changed a bit as well. Before the recut, particularly the larger of the two, seemed a bit greener, which I liked. But I couldn't live with the window on mine and the portuguese facets they had were dizzying. Mine had a rounded pavilion and a keel culet.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
If you dont do the recut then you have a large stone which attracts a lot of attention to the huge hole in the middle of it. I would rather have a better small stone than a big ugly one. If the recut comes in 9mm deep at 75% depth, which is deep but aqua has low RI and so needs it, you would still have a 12 mm square stone which is still huge.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, VapidLapid!

I'll be sending the stone in this week, and he'll take a look at it. I'm not in a hurry to get it cut so it'll most likely be a few weeks before it'll get cut. Can't wait! Once I know the final size, I'll know where to look for a setting. I looked for the source of Colorluvr's setting since it's so pretty but couldn't find any reference to a store (even though it's probably out of my price range!).

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with the re-cut and hope it turns out well!

I don't have any experience with eBay settings, but please be mindful that rings with hollowed out shanks aren't the most comfortable to wear.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
thbmok|1333594530|3163823 said:
Good luck with the re-cut and hope it turns out well!

I don't have any experience with eBay settings, but please be mindful that rings with hollowed out shanks aren't the most comfortable to wear.

I didn't even notice the band, thank you for pointing it out! :)

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would stay as close to the original cut of your stone. Aquas are cut in emerald/ step cuts for a reason--it preserves color. They have a low RI to begin with, so brilliant cuts aren't as sparkly on aquas as other stones. Mine was already a portuguese cut when I sent mine, so he stuck to a brilliant cut to preserve size.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys! I definitely prefer an emerald shape, since I'd like to do an art deco type look. I decided against a step cut for e-ring because of the constant cleaning and not enough bling for me but do love them - so this is a nice alternative for an occasional RHR.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
The good news and the bad news:

Good news - Jerry is fantastic and has been great to work with1

Bad news - it's not an aquamarine. He tested it and sent me the following :
"I'm convinced that you have a topaz.
I would suggest a nice brilliant type cut to give lots of sparkle.
How about like the attached. It's called "Fuego Verde" and it's by Gustavo
Castleblanco who developed it for his best emeralds. He's a Colombian
emerald miner.
We'll lose significant weight and size. The depth is 9.5 mm and it will
only produce about a 11 to 12 mm stone when cut to the proper angles. We
will be going from a keel type culet to a pointy culet for more brilliance.
So your weight will go down from ~22 ct to 11 to 12 ct's when cut properly
to a brilliant type stone. I could retain a little more weight, if that is
critical, by retaining a keel culet and making an "emerald" rectangle cut
out of it."

I'm torn - getting it cut sounds like fun because I love gems and it would be great to have Jerry cut a stone for me. However, I really wanted an emerald cut blue stone, even if it wasn't an aqua and it sounds like a topaz is not the ideal candidate? I'd rather replace the tourmaline in my promise ring with a 6mm-ish asscher cut pink CS if I were to pursue something other than the emerald cut blue art deco ring...

What would you guys do? :)

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Im not much into the jewlery side of things...Im into the gemstones. I'm only going to point out that blue Topaz is a color-treated stone. It is made from colorless Topaz, and from then on it is irradiated to make that blue color. Here, you won't find many fans of either irradiated gems, treated gems, etc. So keep that in mind. Also, if "value" is a concern since you will be throwing money at it, a blue Created-Topaz, and what you have here is referred to in the market as "Sky blue Topaz" is a MUCH less valuable stone than a natural Aqua. It doesn't matter that it is a very large stone...Sky Blues don't have much value and can be bought very inexpensively. It is too bad that your Dad seemingly got scammed..it has happened to us all. I found out recently that many of the Sapphires that I bought when I first collected, and didnt know anything, turned out to be lab created stones. Yuck.

If none of that matters, and you can work out a shape that you like, then Topaz technically is a better gem than Aqua. It is a more naturally brilliant gem with a higher RI, and itis more durable as well...an 8 as opposed to a 7-7.5.

As far as a jewelry piece, while Im no expert, it really seemed that you wanted a blue Emerald cut, or Emerald shaped stone put into a ring. IF this isn't the stone for that ideal, and, it isn't a valuable stone (monetary or sentimental) then I would look for a better candidate for the ring project that you really want to end up with. Why settle if the stone doesn't have any type of real value (again, sentimental or monetary).

I hope this helps, its only my opinion...I hate to say a stone doesn't have value, and maybe to some it does, again, only my opinion..

As an aside..if you like the stone but not the cut, and it isn't worth a recut, why not make a pendant out of it, in something like SS, that way it has the look of white gold (sorta) it wont show skin, it wont cost much, you won't be tossing the gem aside, AND it will allow you to spend the real money on a project you REALLY want. Hehe.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stone is old, is there a chance it could be unheated? I see a little bit of greenish in it, and unheated aquas are valuable, and have such an unusual color...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrisa222|1335276701|3179340 said:
Im not much into the jewlery side of things...Im into the gemstones. I'm only going to point out that blue Topaz is a color-treated stone. It is made from colorless Topaz, and from then on it is irradiated to make that blue color. Here, you won't find many fans of either irradiated gems, treated gems, etc. So keep that in mind. Also, if "value" is a concern since you will be throwing money at it, a blue Created-Topaz, and what you have here is referred to in the market as "Sky blue Topaz" is a MUCH less valuable stone than a natural Aqua. It doesn't matter that it is a very large stone...Sky Blues don't have much value and can be bought very inexpensively. It is too bad that your Dad seemingly got scammed..it has happened to us all. I found out recently that many of the Sapphires that I bought when I first collected, and didnt know anything, turned out to be lab created stones. Yuck.
BEHOLD! Natural Blue Topaz!

http://www.bespoke-gems.com/SacredGeometrics_Gemstones_TopazBlue.php

(Minus the last one.)

For the record, I spent a pretty penny on a custom cut irradiated Electric blue topaz for my push present. It happens to be Barry Bridgestock's favorite color stone as well, even though it's irradiated.

My advice, if you like it, I'd do whatever you want to it. Personally, because it has a cool story behind it (I wish MY dad bought gemstones at auction!) I'd recut it into an emerald shape, set it on something fabulous and wear the heck out of it.

IMG_2396-1.JPG

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys! I'm going to ask Jerry if he can cut it into an emerald shape , or even asscher. I do love the color!

The good thing is that dad bought it in a whole parcel of items and I don't think he paid much for it. He loved going to auctions and bargain hunting was a hobby for him, so no downside here. :)

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's something about the color of a good deep blue topaz that calls to me every time. I'm really glad you are going ahead with the recut and I hope you enjoy it for a very long time!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Catmom|1335297896|3179638 said:
I'm really glad you are going ahead with the recut and I hope you enjoy it for a very long time!

I agree!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good, happy to hear it! I think it will be great.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Webdiva I'm sure that Jerry can work his magic in an emerald/rectangle of some kind - looking forward to hearing more!

Freke - irradiated or not, that topaz is really gorgeous. Truly a colour that hits the spot.

Unfortunately I find too much of Bespoke's material (not speaking to just the topaz) just too pale to entice me, which is a shame since I live in OZ :((

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A step cut will be fine for a topaz because it has higher RI and little worries set in a ring because it is more durable than an aquamarine. Although it may be worth little monetarily, it is still worth a lot in your heart and that is what counts in the end.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I like it as is too. But if you must cut it please don't loose too much stone :(

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys! :) I gave Jerry the go-ahead and he'll be cutting it into a rectangular emerald shape. I bet I'll be the only one with an art deco aqua ring where the stone was purchased in a "Customs" evidence bag! ;-) hehe I'm really excited. It's aqua color and I'm not ever planning on selling it, and the more durable stone is a bonus! Next up I should post the pendant he got in the same lot - already set in a bezel, looks like a citrine. I don't wear it much because it doesn't sit flat.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That does make for a good story. Please post as soon as its cut!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results