shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to buy an engagement ring, but overwhelmed !

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noreaga|1339942494|3218173 said:
What do you folks think about the following diamond that i found on WF ?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2782665.htm

It looks pretty decent. Because of the depth (62.5%) it's facing up a little bit smaller than a one carat normally would. A one carat is usually 6.5mm, and this one is only 6.37 x 6.39mm. You can see there is a bit of leakage in the middle of the stone, but it probably won't be too noticeable IRL. However, keep in mind because of the crown and pavilion angles, it only scores 3.5 on the HCA--"worth buying if the price is right."

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't add much to the diamond discussion but please consider a 6 prong setting- I nearly lost a (much smaller) diamond from a 4 prong after hitting the ring on the underside of a table! Accidents do happen.......

noreaga

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback, laila. I've been scouring JA's website as they seem to have better prices than WF's (at least for some of the same rings that i have seen on both sites) and will post a few on here for consideration.

I'm also debating whether it's worth paying the extra $$ for a H colour vs an I colour. I would still like to stay at VS2 if possible, but maybe the drop in colour can move me from a 1 ct to a 1.2 ct or so. I'll post a few of the JA's I like on here and get your opinions soon !

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1339952752|3218244 said:
I can't add much to the diamond discussion but please consider a 6 prong setting- I nearly lost a (much smaller) diamond from a 4 prong after hitting the ring on the underside of a table! Accidents do happen.......

Ouch! That must have been a horrible hit. I'm extremely clumsy and wear my p-ring all the time, and never take it off.. and I *know* I knock mine against the wall while I sleep a few times a day! I only have 4 prongs, and it's fine?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noreaga|1339960378|3218297 said:

I prefer the second one. In the first and third diamonds, you can see leakage. Do you see that darkish ring in the middle of those stones? That is how you can generally spot leakage. The second diamond, the I VS2, doesn't have that dark ring. It looks like it has edge to edge sparkle with a nice amount of contrast. You can request I believe 3 Idealscope images from them, if you want. The True Hearts stone already has the Idealscope uploaded, and it looks good.

noreaga

Rough_Rock
Thanks Laila. I just rang the numbers for all three thought the hca tool, and only the second one came back with a score under 2. Would you be concerned with an I color at all? I saw a few in person, and I thought that they looked pretty white, but at the end of the day it's the cut and scintillation that are vital for me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noreaga|1339961241|3218302 said:
Thanks Laila. I just rang the numbers for all three thought the hca tool, and only the second one came back with a score under 2. Would you be concerned with an I color at all? I saw a few in person, and I thought that they looked pretty white, but at the end of the day it's the cut and scintillation that are vital for me.

I personally would not. It's very white to me, especially in a round with an ideal cut. However, color is subjective. Some people are color sensitive. Having looked at lots of diamonds, I know 'I' color is quite white to my eyes! I'd even happily take a J color.

noreaga

Rough_Rock
Team PS, what are your thoughts on which online vendor has the lowest prices? Now that I have a better idea of what I want (approx 1.0 ct H VS1/VS2) I'm looking around at the different retailers but haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer of my own.

It seems like I can't really go wrong dealing with either one of them, but I'm interested in hearing opinions of those who have been shopping for much longer than I have. For example, are the prices of the JA stones I posted above reasonable, or can I do better elsewhere ?

Thanks !

E B

Ideal_Rock
I can't answer the vendor question (I haven't noticed a vendor with the 'works' info-wise consistently coming in lower than the others, but someone else might have) but I do want to urge you to reconsider a clean SI1 to save some $. They really are the best value. Remember that when you view these images online, they are HIGHLY magnified. :)

noreaga

Rough_Rock
EB, thank you for the reply. I'd be happy to take a look at SI1, and in order to pull the trigger on those I would need absolute certainty that there is no major issues as far as inclusions are concerned. That said, I suppose a drop down to SI1 will save me $ that I could use either towards a nicer setting, or a bigger stone (I could conceivably move up to 1.2ct max).

Found anything that you're interested in sharing :) ?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love SI clarity stones. They really are a great value! I've owned two H SI1/2 stones, and both were completely eye clean from all angles.

Dougsgirl

Shiny_Rock
I second the SI clarity!!
I have a J colored, SI, cushion cut... It is very white in some lights, and slightly warm (or champagne colored) in others, which I personally LOVE, and it is TOTALLY eye clean and brilliant!! I have TRIED to see a flaw, inclusion or blemish and cannot.

I would say an H-I color, with SI clarity and an excellent cut would be a perfect choice. And you could likely go up a tiny bit in size. I bought my stone online from Good Old Gold... I actually bought 2 and returned the first one (L colored) because it ended up being too yellow for my taste. They were great to work with.

Good luck!

Statefan42

Rough_Rock
noreaga|1339989523|3218487 said:
Team PS, what are your thoughts on which online vendor has the lowest prices? Now that I have a better idea of what I want (approx 1.0 ct H VS1/VS2) I'm looking around at the different retailers but haven't been able to come up with a definitive answer of my own.

Thanks !

Since you have a good idea of what you want in the stone now I would work on finding the setting you want. Most people like to buy the stone and setting from the same vendor just to simplify the process and eliminate the need to insure anything during the setting process.

E B

Ideal_Rock
noreaga|1340025565|3218658 said:
Found this stone at GoG: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/

What do you guys think of it, and is the price reasonable ? I feel that its on the higher side, but that might just be me ... compare that one to this one from JA: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1498642.asp

Have you found any others from James Allen that you like? They let you request up to 3 IS/ASET images, and that H, SI1 would be one of my requests.

The one from GOG looks nice too.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
noreaga|1340025565|3218658 said:
Found this stone at GoG: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9178/

What do you guys think of it, and is the price reasonable ? I feel that its on the higher side, but that might just be me ... compare that one to this one from JA: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1498642.asp

The JA is a GORGEOUS stone! It doesn't get much better, cherry numbers. :love:

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

noreaga

Rough_Rock
Mrs. W 514|1340037589|3218735 said:
It looks like you have tons of diamond ideas so I'm gonna post some of my favorite solitaire settings to avoid being redundant :)
I tend to really like settings that have integrated heads because I think it makes the whole ring look more finished and the design more cohesive. I didn't post any Tiffany style solitaries for that reason and also those settings tend to hold the stone up pretty high off the finger which, in my case, invites damage.

Thank you for all the links! I do like WF's settings more than JA's, and so have started to look for stones on the WF site. I really like some of the settings you've posted !

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
I also like the Whiteflash settings better too! I know they will set stones from other vendors as long as the stone is certified, I would also have it insured before having a stone set by another vendor. So if you find a stone you love on another site you can still have it set in the Whiteflash setting you love and if you get both from Whiteflash its really easy. I cant wait to see what you decide on :)

noreaga

Rough_Rock
I've asked WF for glamour shots of the stones I posted above. I'm going crazy here trying to find the perfect ring .... Would love your help in ruling out any of the wf ones I posted above !

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock
noreaga|1340050018|3218879 said:
It doesn't end .... :( ... More diamonds ! :)

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2794490.htm
2. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2782648.htm --> many twinning wisps on this one, not sure if that's a really bad thing ... it is certified as eye clean by WF
3. http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2724957.htm

Please don't hate me ! :oops:

We don't hate you lol We are all blingaholics and you are feeding our addiction...we love you!! :twirl: :wink2:

The first one scores a 1.9 on the HCA so its a nice stone and I think its a size at that price point.

The second one I wasn't crazy about at first glance and it scores a 2.1 on the HCA. I don't really think the price is that great compared to the first stone even though its a color grade higher. Also just and FYI anybody on here will tell you twining wisps are the best inclusion because they are totally invisible to the naked eye and the drive the price of the stone down.

The last stone score the highest on the HCA 1.5 and its totally beautiful but a bit more expensive.

Personally I would eliminate the second one. Since both the first one and the last diamond score well on the HCA I would pick the larger stone because I like the added finger coverage. That being said the size increase is small and the price difference isn't that big either. It really depends what matters most to you. The smaller stone is slightly higher quality but I think at this point the difference would be all in your head not in the pudding....if that makes any sense :cheeky:
I hope this helps!

noreaga

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your feedback! Anyone else ? I'm planning on pulling the trigger soon :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results